PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo I-Dot vs I-Dot Pro ?

SpookyPistolero
03-18-11, 18:18
Howdy-

Anyone know the difference between these two? The google machine isn't helping and I can't find the difference listed on their website. M4C search hasn't been agreeing with me, either, sadly.

Palmguy
03-18-11, 18:31
The non-Pro has a standard Ameriglo front sight (green tritium, white outline). The Pro should be using the Ameriglo Hackathorn front sight.

matthewdanger
03-18-11, 18:32
The I-DOT sights have a thinner white outline front sight (width .125").
http://a.imageshack.us/img39/839/idot.jpg

The I-DOT Pros have a thicker "Hackathorn" style front sight (width .140″).
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7775/idotprosightpicture.jpg

SpookyPistolero
03-18-11, 19:32
Superb pictures, and answers! Thanks guys.

Has anyone used either who could comment on their respective benefits?

Either looks to be a massive improvement over the stock Glock sights, which let almost no light between the blades.

matthewdanger
03-18-11, 20:19
I have the I-Dot Pro front site installed right now - not necessarily because I like them better than the standard I-Dot.

In low/no light there is basically no difference in performance. On an outdoor range, both front sights are very easy to pick up. The red outline of the I-Dot Pros really stands out in sun light (even under very overcast skies) but I don't find it to be as much of an advantage indoors.

For me, the choice would come down to whether I wanted a thicker or thinner front site. The rear sight notch is so wide (.180") on these sights that the thicker front sight of the I-Dot Pros actually has a pretty nice amount of light on either side of the blade. However, the thinner front sight of the standard I-Dots does make things a bit easier when you are shooting out past 20 yards.

kac
03-18-11, 20:19
I have a set of Pros on my new M&P (thanks, Grant!) Used it at my first IDPA of the year this past Tuesday, and they are easy to pick up but still are fine enough for use at longer pistol ranges. I highly recommend them.