PDA

View Full Version : M&P Barrel options

spr1
03-19-11, 13:05
Anyone have any experience with a KKM barrel in a 5" Pro? Group size differences? True drop in? Thx

maximus83
03-19-11, 13:28
Curious: What are you adding the barrel for, comps shooting? Are you having problems with the factory barrel?

spr1
03-19-11, 13:30
Yes. I am not thrilled with the stock barrel.

Robb Jensen
03-19-11, 13:40
Yes. I am not thrilled with the stock barrel.

Yeah I've owned a bunch of M&Ps since they started making them. Most of them aren't real accurate unless you're shooting light fast bullets. I like 124gr, 147gr and 158gr in 9mm and a Storm Lake barrel was quite a bit more accurate using the heavier slower bullets in my old M&P 9L that I shot for a while. I'm currently using a stock barrel in both my 5" M&P Pro 9 and 5" M&P Pro 40. But I'm probably going to get KKM drop in barrels for each of them.

spr1
03-19-11, 20:56
Based on several favorable comments I have read here and elsewhere. I decided to order one. I do like the platform, I just hate to give up the accuracy I am used to...... My G34 will smoke this Pro on a deliberate shot, but the M&P feels so much better ergonomically and the APEX parts simply rock.....
Do the 4.25" guns do better as a rule than the 5" ones?

kartoffel
03-19-11, 21:02
Yep. My 9L with a threaded Storm Lake barrel shoots 147 grain bullets like a champ. The factory barrel tends to throw heavier bullets to the right for some reason.

Aside from the factory barrel not liking heavy bullets, there's no significant difference in accuracy between the factory barrel and the Storm Lake. I'd be very interested to try a Bar Sto, if the rumors are true that they're going to do M&P barrels.

nickdrak
03-20-11, 02:44
I'm currently using a stock barrel in both my 5" M&P Pro 9 and 5" M&P Pro 40. But I'm probably going to get KKM drop in barrels for each of them.

Robb,

My example of (2) KKM drop-in barrels for a co-workers and my M&P9 FS had a noticeably looser fit to the slide than either of our factory barrels. Accuracy was the same as the factory barrels, but mine shot nearly 3 inches low/slightly left from my point of aim from a supported position @ 25ft.

If I ever decide to try a Match grade barrel for my M&P9 again, it will have to be a custom fitted barrel and not a "drop-in".

spr1
03-20-11, 06:25
Robb,

My example of (2) KKM drop-in barrels for a co-workers and my M&P9 FS had a noticeably looser fit to the slide than either of our factory barrels. Accuracy was the same as the factory barrels, but mine shot nearly 3 inches low/slightly left from my point of aim from a supported position @ 25ft.

If I ever decide to try a Match grade barrel for my M&P9 again, it will have to be a custom fitted barrel and not a "drop-in".

Drat..... that is the first negative report I have read..... Oh well, the sample size will increase by one in a week or so....

nimdabew
03-20-11, 14:51
Yeah I've owned a bunch of M&Ps since they started making them. Most of them aren't real accurate unless you're shooting light fast bullets. I like 124gr, 147gr and 158gr in 9mm and a Storm Lake barrel was quite a bit more accurate using the heavier slower bullets in my old M&P 9L that I shot for a while. I'm currently using a stock barrel in both my 5" M&P Pro 9 and 5" M&P Pro 40. But I'm probably going to get KKM drop in barrels for each of them.

I was hitting steel at 170 yards with my stock barrel with WWB and Remington something or other bullets. 4 hits out of about 100, but about 50% landed within a foot of the steel popper.

nickdrak
03-20-11, 16:35
I was hitting steel at 170 yards with my stock barrel with WWB and Remington something or other bullets. 4 hits out of about 100, but about 50% landed within a foot of the steel popper.

That in it's self is not an indication what-so-ever of how accurate a pistol platform is. Being able to lob 4 out of 100 rounds onto a target with a pistol waaay beyond what a pistols practical use is, doesnt really indicate much.

nimdabew
03-20-11, 16:43
That in it's self is not an indication what-so-ever of how accurate a pistol platform is. Being able to lob 4 out of 100 rounds onto a target with a pistol waaay beyond what a pistols practical use is, doesnt really indicate much.

So what would be a good indicator of pistol accuracy? Do the bullets magically become more accurate when you shoot farther? Because unless my math is wrong, a 32" diameter circle at 170 yards (8" plate plus 12" to either side) is only a 4.5" circle at 25 yards, which is very relevant at self defense distances. And I was consistantly shooting to the right of the target, within 12", not splashing them around the target within 12".

The degree of accuracy becomes more aparent at distance, and I am pretty sure that the bullets would have landed in closer to the plate if we had removed all outside influences (me) from the gun. The accuracy argument only really measures the least accurate part of the equation, with inputs being mechanical (gun or barrel), ammunition (in this case, cheap plinking ammo), and the shooter. I believe that the shooter plays a much bigger role in shooting than the mechanical portion of the equation, though having a good platform to shoot off of reduces the MOA spread.

Robb Jensen
03-20-11, 20:11
Robb,

Thanks for the info.

I shot a piece of steel at 200yds at the FFX Rod & Gun Club several months ago. It's about 12"x15" I was hitting it once of every 10-12 rounds, but the gun is still not as accurate as I'd like it to be. Looks like I might be going with Storm Lake again.

uwe1
03-21-11, 21:07
Yep. My 9L with a threaded Storm Lake barrel shoots 147 grain bullets like a champ. The factory barrel tends to throw heavier bullets to the right for some reason.

Aside from the factory barrel not liking heavy bullets, there's no significant difference in accuracy between the factory barrel and the Storm Lake. I'd be very interested to try a Bar Sto, if the rumors are true that they're going to do M&P barrels.

My M&P9 Pro tends to throw shots to the right. When the trigger breaks sending the firing pin forward, the gun tends to "twitch" to the right. I'm a notorious trigger snatcher so my shots usually land down/left with my Glocks. On the Pro, the shots land to the right.

At a EAG class, Pat Rogers asked what was going on when he saw me doing that. He didn't believe me when I told him and when he shot my gun, he agreed.

uwe1
03-22-11, 23:58
Slightly off topic, but is it possible/likely to shoot out a stainless steel handgun barrel?

spr1
03-26-11, 20:18
The KKM barrel was a nice improvement in my 9mm 5" Pro

Rayrevolver
03-26-11, 21:18
My M&P9 Pro tends to throw shots to the right. When the trigger breaks sending the firing pin forward, the gun tends to "twitch" to the right. I'm a notorious trigger snatcher so my shots usually land down/left with my Glocks. On the Pro, the shots land to the right.

At a EAG class, Pat Rogers asked what was going on when he saw me doing that. He didn't believe me when I told him and when he shot my gun, he agreed.

Off topic but I understand. I can dry fire my Glocks and the sights stay solid. With the M&P Pro I get a slight twitch right. I have tried the different grips but it doesn't matter. The one thing that helps is if I use a whole lot more trigger finger, almost using the joint.

During the last IDPA qualifier someone said I need to adjust my sights because my groups on the 20 yard targets was to the right. I told him it was my fault with my trigger pull but he said the rounds landed in the same place so it must be the sights.

Is it the reach to the trigger that is different than Glocks? Any insight would help. I think the accuracy so far has been good enough although not as good as my G26.

Nevermiss
04-03-11, 20:39
Off topic but I understand. I can dry fire my Glocks and the sights stay solid. With the M&P Pro I get a slight twitch right. I have tried the different grips but it doesn't matter. The one thing that helps is if I use a whole lot more trigger finger, almost using the joint.

During the last IDPA qualifier someone said I need to adjust my sights because my groups on the 20 yard targets was to the right. I told him it was my fault with my trigger pull but he said the rounds landed in the same place so it must be the sights.

Is it the reach to the trigger that is different than Glocks? Any insight would help. I think the accuracy so far has been good enough although not as good as my G26.

Check the Apex Tactical video (http://www.youtube.com/user/apextactical#p/u/2/FHr-IyejH7g) on YouTube regarding the OEM sear and you will see why.