PDA

View Full Version : Magpul BAD lever loose as a goose. ETA Fixed!

ghostman1960
03-19-11, 17:34
I just got it in the mail today and installed it. It wobbles like mad on the bolt release lever. Its not just magnifying the movement of the lever, it wiggles on it. I have tightened down the screw that hold the two halves of the clamp together as tight and far as it will go. Any more and I will strip it. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a fix?

ETA: Fixed. My advice to all that gets this is to just dump the torque head screw it comes with and go to ACE and get a hex head screw of the same type. The hex head tightens down much tighter without the fear of stripping it.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2469.jpg

EzGoingKev
03-19-11, 18:00
They fit loose on some paddles.

It fit loose on my Colt so I just filed the surface down some to tighten it up.

ssracer
03-19-11, 18:01
what brand is the parts kit that the bolt release came from? Possibly out of spec bolt release? Any other rifles or a friend's rifle you can try the BAD on?

fullotto76
03-19-11, 18:01
mine has a wobble on my DDM4 but it still works and isnt super loose so i can live with it..its the actual paddle itself the has the "wiggle"

ghostman1960
03-19-11, 18:03
what brand is the parts kit that the bolt release came from? Possibly out of spec bolt release? Any other rifles or a friend's rifle you can try the BAD on?

Its on a DD LPK lever

Kilo 1-1
03-19-11, 18:05
I've shimmed mine with a small piece of 100 mph tape under the face of the BAD where it contacts the front face of the bolt catch. After thousands of rounds later,it's still on there tight. Also did this to another buddy's AR, no issues reported yet.

ghostman1960
03-19-11, 18:12
I've shimmed mine with a small piece of 100 mph tape under the face of the BAD where it contacts the front face of the bolt catch. After thousands of rounds later,it's still on there tight. Also did this to another buddy's AR, no issues reported yet.

You read my mind. I was just looking for my tape!

jonconsiglio
03-19-11, 18:15
I put some blue loctite on the face of the paddle once and it helped since it only moved with a little pressure. I have one on a few different rifles and they fit a little differently on each.

Tape seems like a good idea and there's really no way for it to come out.

alpha.kilo
03-19-11, 18:25
For what it's worth, I have five BAD levers mounted on Noveske and Colt lowers with no issues. They all lock up tight on the paddle. Any movement is within the latch itself.

It would be interesting to put your BAD lever on another rifle and see how it fits.

rob_s
03-19-11, 19:05
I've lost count of how many of these I have. None of the Magpul variety locks down on any of the paddles I have them on, from Colt to everyone else.

See this comparison (http://www.itstactical.com/shooting/magpul-bad-vs-phase-5-ebr/) that I wrote. You can see in the range of movement pictures that the BAD moves further tan the EBR and that extra movement is entirely due to the looser fit of the BAD. It hasn't affected function on any of my guns.

Robb Jensen
03-19-11, 20:22
All the ones I have fit the paddle tightly.
What is noticeable is that you can then see how lose the bolt catch fits the lower receiver after installing the BAD Lever.
If the play between the bolt catch and lower receiver bother you remove the BAD Lever and move on.

Quiet-Matt
03-19-11, 20:27
Ghostman, I had the same problem on one release. I tried a few tricks to fix it, and in all my tinkering I quickly rounded out that crappy little torx head screw that it came with. I ran down to Ace and picked up some cap head allen screws. They accept a 3/32 allen wrench or a T10 torx wrench(both of which I keep in my leatherman because they are pretty common sized on my rifles). Changing out these screws made the most difference in the play of the bad levers, due to the extra tork you can apply. The one that had the play in it was all but gone.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TYVUSy1c97I/AAAAAAAAHsA/mh3UrU5kKBE/s720/mms_picture.jpg
PS: I have long since removed these things from my guns because they were just another fix for a problem I didn't have.

kartoffel
03-19-11, 20:49
Make sure the wobble isn't in the bolt release. I've seen BAD levers that clamp onto bolt releases very solidly, yet the bolt release itself has a lot of play. The long lever arm of the BAD just accentuates what play there already is in the system.

Kilo 1-1
03-19-11, 22:07
It's also worth mentioning that even bolt catches that fit with the BAD tightly will eventually start fitting looser. I'm not talking about the BAD screw walking out, but the BAD rubbing against the grooved face of the bolt catch and effectively rubbing/sanding the bolt catch face down slowly. Over time, the tolerance gets looser. This happened to me, and when I took off the BAD, I found silvery powder/gunk inside the BAD on the bolt catch face from the wear on the bolt catch face. Once I cleaned everything and shimmed it with the 100mph tape, I had no other issue. I recommend just shimming it from the start, as the tape acts a cushion buffer against this wear and keeps things tight.

BAD itself presents issues as other members have pointed out. For me, the benefits happen to weigh more for me...only because I was able to sort out the problem(s).

opmike
03-20-11, 01:29
I'm surprised more companies are not offering these types of levers as a single piece with the bolt catch integrated. I've only seen one that does. It should make for a lighter and stiffer unit.

Though, admittedly, changing out catches can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but I'd put up with it to avoid the potential jiggle between the level and latch.

Belmont31R
03-20-11, 01:33
Magpul stated they tested the BAD on S&W lowers. From the SW lowers Ive seen the bolt catch paddle is very thick.

I use all Colt bolt catches, and numerous BADs are loose on all of them.

ghostman1960
03-21-11, 16:43
Ghostman, I had the same problem on one release. I tried a few tricks to fix it, and in all my tinkering I quickly rounded out that crappy little torx head screw that it came with. I ran down to Ace and picked up some cap head allen screws. They accept a 3/32 allen wrench or a T10 torx wrench(both of which I keep in my leatherman because they are pretty common sized on my rifles). Changing out these screws made the most difference in the play of the bad levers, due to the extra tork you can apply. The one that had the play in it was all but gone.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TYVUSy1c97I/AAAAAAAAHsA/mh3UrU5kKBE/s720/mms_picture.jpg
PS: I have long since removed these things from my guns because they were just another fix for a problem I didn't have.

Matt, were the screws you bought already the correct length or did you have to cut them down?

Quiet-Matt
03-21-11, 17:06
They were the correct length. I took the BAD and original screw to ACE. They have a board to help you determine thread pitch and such.

ghostman1960
03-21-11, 17:19
They were the correct length. I took the BAD and original screw to ACE. They have a board to help you determine thread pitch and such.

Thank you!

markm
03-21-11, 19:32
Weird that something that has abolutely NO PLACE on an AR wouldn't fit well....:eek:

opmike
03-21-11, 20:09
Weird that something that has abolutely NO PLACE on an AR wouldn't fit well....:eek:

The Aimpoint I ordered for you should be arriving sometime Thursday. I also tossed in a Larue mount.

Icculus
03-21-11, 20:18

I don't know if I'd go quite that far but it did give me the typical markm post chuckle :)

My bad was super loose on my DD lower and while there was some movement of the catch in the lower the majority of the play was between the BAD and the paddle. Looks like you're getting some good solutions here but if you search I know there was another thread--can't find it on my phone right now--where other fixes were listed. JB, etc.

My solution was to remove the bad lever. However, even though I found the wobble annoying for me it was more of a training issue. I found during reload drills sometimes I would drop the bolt with the bad, sometimes with paddle, and sometimes just stuck in the middle licking the shortbus window while I fumbled trying to decide between the two. Yes I may have been able to train through it but was easier to take it off--which yes fixed the wobble

Redberens
03-21-11, 21:04
I went with the unit made by Tactical Link. It's a two piece design with three screws total and has no wobble at all.

Caeser25
03-21-11, 21:12
Mine is tight on my G&R lpk which I think uses LMt bolt catches. I prefer the 1 piece phase 5 though..........

ghostman1960
03-22-11, 13:43

I was able to find some button head hex screws. They are the same size and color as the torque screw that came with it. Its tight as a drum right now. Thanks for the advice.
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2469.jpg

Quiet-Matt
03-22-11, 15:53
Cool, glad it worked. I forgot about those button head screws. I had bought some of those at the same time, but elected to use the cap head ones because of common wrench size. Glad that did the trick for you.