PDA

View Full Version : Centurion or DD Lite rail?

nynco
03-19-11, 21:27
First, I tried to use the search feature but it kept on coming back with error codes and not working at all.

The current rail that I purchased has some issues. I am going to be sending it back to the company I purchased it from. This will be the 2nd hand guard system that I have tried and found inherent design flaws with. I swear, I just can't win in the AR world lately.

I have decided on either a DD Lite or a Centurion, but to be honest, I am open to other suggestions too. I want at least a12 in rail. The DD goes up to 14 which would be nice for sight radius reasons.

The problem with the DD is that I have to take the whole upper apart to use that. The Centurion rail would be easier because it uses a stock barrel nut. Which makes it way easier to put on my upper. But this might be a moot point if the company says to send the whole upper back not just the rail.

So I know there has to be some people on here who have used both items. Any opinions on the trade offs? I know the DD is way more expensive. I only worry about the Centurion because it is new.

How wide is the Centurion compared to the DD? The same? I matters because my hands are not huge.

I think they both weigh nearly the same too.

Any opinions?

Dos Cylindros
03-19-11, 21:42
I had a BCM 16" LW middy with the 12" DD lite rail, and I now have a standard BCM 16" middy with a 9" Centurion rail. Both rails are equal in quality from my experience. Take that to mean they are both fantastic rail systems. Both have extremely (but as you noted different) bolt up systems, but I don't see either coming loose ever. The DD lite rail is welded to a barel nut collar, while the Centurion is machined from one solid block for the upper and lower halves. The Centurion comes with rotation limited QD sling mounts and has anti rotation lugs that lock it to the upper receiver. It is also less expensive and easier to install.

I will have a hard time going with any other rail system again, unless I buy a new upper with a different rail already attached. As far as thickness, I think they are both about the same. They are certainly not the thinnest rail systems out there when compared to the Troy TRX extreme or the DD Omega/Omega X series.

Good luck in your search.

nynco
03-19-11, 21:54
I tried a vikings tactics extreme rail.... it had issues, I sent it back.

Whootsinator
03-19-11, 21:56
I tried a vikings tactics extreme rail.... it had issues, I sent it back.

What issues? You could make a new thread detailing them if you don't want to talk about it in this thread. Or better yet, just post in the TRX Extreme thread. I'm sure people considering the TRX Extreme would be interested to hear about your experience.

nynco
03-19-11, 22:12
The diameter of the Vtack rail and the Troy is so small that the gas block will just barely touch on the back portion of the backing plate if you put the rail under where the gas block resides. I have a grip pod that I use and like it way out in front. So this would have messed with the harmonics of the barrel.

rob_s
03-19-11, 22:17
How wide is the Centurion compared to the DD? The same? I matters because my hands are not huge.
hope this helps (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html)

pcf
03-20-11, 01:46
Out of curiosity what kind of gas block are you using?

If I already had the regular barrel nut installed and I didn't want to take everything apart, the Centurion rails or Troy MRF seem like a logical choice. Rough measurements it looks like the Troy would be about 1/8" wider, 4 ounces heavier, and $100 cheaper. Both are good rails, just comes down to price and weight.

Iraqgunz
03-20-11, 06:35
JUST A LITTLE REMINDER. THE GENERAL AR THREAD IS FOR QUESTIONS LIKE THIS.

THE TECHNICAL THREAD IS FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION AND TROUBLESHOOTING. PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

IF YOU DON'T, YOUR THREAD MAY DISAPPEAR.

Frens
03-20-11, 12:31

my 7inch C4 rail is 54.04mm wide and 60.40mm tall

Dos Cylindros
03-20-11, 15:41
JUST A LITTLE REMINDER. THE GENERAL AR THREAD IS FOR QUESTIONS LIKE THIS.

THE TECHNICAL THREAD IS FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION AND TROUBLESHOOTING. PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

IF YOU DON'T, YOUR THREAD MAY DISAPPEAR.

I don't get what you are saying here. Is there some problem with one of the posts? I would really like to know as I don't want to step outside any lines.

Iraqgunz
03-20-11, 18:04
This thread. I moved it to here from the Technical area.

I don't get what you are saying here. Is there some problem with one of the posts? I would really like to know as I don't want to step outside any lines.

Dos Cylindros
03-20-11, 20:38
This thread. I moved it to here from the Technical area.

OK, understand. I must have missed it prior to it being moved. Thanks a bunch, I was a little confused (actually, I am always confused :D).

nynco
03-20-11, 22:37
Sorry about posting it in the wrong area. I will be sure to be more attentive to such things in the future. Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like the Centurion rail is a winner.

Stickman
03-21-11, 00:48
Sounds like the Centurion rail is a winner.

It is.