PDA

View Full Version : How much ammo for a long term and how to store it best?

mcclainm
03-20-11, 07:21
So here's a question I've been batting back and forth with over the last few years. This isn't the dead rose from the ground, I'm fighting a guerrilla war scenario. This is a Katrina's big sister came, and its a hold your own until order is restored/practical scenario.

How much ammo would you keep on hand for your personal stores? I know this varies by weapons owned, calibers varied etc. How much would you keep that you don't shoot so you can have on hand during anyone of a thousand bad stuff happens scenarios?

Also, short of a whole new safe, whats the best way to keep this ammo safe, out of the way (not necessarily hidden), and able to be in serviceable condition?

Hmac
03-20-11, 09:56
If you're not going to use some kind of climate-controlled storage safe, should be fine keeping it in dry-boxes or surplus ammo cans stored in a relatively temperature-stable location in your house.

davidjinks
03-20-11, 10:18
Rifles: 1,000 rounds (I have 1 caliber for all my rifles so it's easier)

Handguns: 500 Rounds

Dry storage boxes

Desiccant packs. More is usually better.

jhs1969
03-20-11, 11:12
Rifles: 1,000 rounds (I have 1 caliber for all my rifles so it's easier)

Handguns: 500 Rounds

Dry storage boxes

Desiccant packs. More is usually better.

This is good advice, but I personally consider it a minimum.

I have only three calibers to supply; 5.56, 9mm and 22lr. I think these are some of the most common and cheaper calibers available. You may save even more money by using steel cased ammo but I choose not to, only brass cased quality ammo for me.

I have a little over 500 rds of 9mm for my handguns, however I recommend you store jhp's and shoot fmj's, this is my SOP. JHP's will perform better if ever needed, fmj's in a handgun caliber are not good duty ammo imo. The bulk of my storage are 5.56 and 22.

I store my ammo in ammo cans with a desiccant pack in each one, stacked in a gun/ammo locker.

Hope this give some food for thought.

sandsunsurf
03-20-11, 11:24
I think these are all minimums, because there are really some other good reasons to store ammo. A hedge against inflation or if certain ammo gets outlawed or over-taxed. As a possible barter currency in the Katrina's big sister situation. Or just as a good feeling that when that "one class" you always wanted to take comes up but has a high round count.

I feel like I am pretty low on my ammo, but working on it. In reserve I have 1500 rds .223, 2000 rds 5.56, 1300 rds 9mm fmj, 500 rds 40sw ranger, 800 rds 40sw 500 rds .45 acp, 600 rds .308, 350 rds 45-70, and about 200 rds of 12ga 00 buck.

Some of my friends with similar mindsets measure their storage by the number of cases. "uh, yeah SSS, I've got about 35 cases of 5.56, 25 cases of nine, and looking for more 5.7..." I worry about their neighbors if there's ever a fire!

Supergrade
03-20-11, 11:58
I agree... thousand rounds sounds about right.

jwperry
03-20-11, 14:50
I can't remember the name of it, but there was a book by a guy who lived through Katrina. He spent something like 510ish rounds; 500 going to local law enforcement and the other 9 or 10 rounds going to stray dogs. My personal opinion is that a natural disaster stash has to be man-portable and for me that puts it right around 270 rounds of 5.56 (carry 8 mags, 1 in gun) and 62 rounds of 9mm (2 spare M&P mags, 1 in gun).

I do have my 'rainy day' stash, but that is mostly because of all the trouble I went through getting ammo around the '08 election. I'll keep that number to myself. :p

If you are worried about a natural disaster, you'd be better off putting your money into food/water/fuel.

Beat Trash
03-20-11, 15:44
For a minimum, I like 1,000 rds of rifle and 500 rds of pistol per shooter, or the ability to reload every magazine 3 times, which ever is greater.

I store them in 50 cal ammo cans.

The reality is that if you'll most likely never need anywhere near that much during some kind of Katrina type event. But it's better to have a few rounds extra than to come up a few rounds short.

Bimmer
03-20-11, 23:03
If you are worried about a natural disaster, you'd be better off putting your money into food/water/fuel.

+1

For me a couple hundred rounds is plenty if the SHTF.

I also "hedge" the ammo market by keeping at least 1,000 rounds of practice ammo per caliber around...
It's the same way I buy alkaline batteries at Costco: there's always an full bulk package, because it's time to buy more when I OPEN the last bulk package (not when I run out).

jenrick
03-20-11, 23:45
For usage in a SHTF situation, I figure 6-8 mags worth so 180-240. Plus another 50-80 rounds (3-4 mags) of pistol ammo. Anything I can't handle with that kind of load out I'm either so SOL it doesn't matter, or I should be heading away as fast as possible.

As others have stated I like to have 1-2K of ammo as a hedge against inflation, for a last minute class, etc.

-Jenrick

Iraqgunz
03-21-11, 03:20
You do realize that you are going to get about 500 different answers? It all depends on location, amount of weapons owned, budget, etc...

mcclainm
03-21-11, 05:00
Yes I do, I was soliciting a variety of opinions. Everyone has their reasons, I just figured I'd like to hear them.

chadbag
03-21-11, 07:56
Whatever you do, don't store your ammo in your gun safe. In event of a fire it could be dangerous. Your gunsafe should be pretty much air tight and if it gets hot enough and the powder starts to burn, it can create an over pressure situation. Then you have a big bomb.

Use lockable, non air tight cabinets if you are worried about access to it.

jbsmwd
03-21-11, 12:51
Whatever you do, don't store your ammo in your gun safe. In event of a fire it could be dangerous. Your gunsafe should be pretty much air tight and if it gets hot enough and the powder starts to burn, it can create an over pressure situation. Then you have a big bomb.

Use lockable, non air tight cabinets if you are worried about access to it.

I understand where you are coming from but that goes against mil. ammo cans.

chadbag
03-21-11, 12:53
I understand where you are coming from but that goes against mil. ammo cans.

Not really. Mil ammo cans are thin sheet metal that will give way as pressure builds. Either the metal itself, or the seals. They are meant to keep out moisture and stuff only.

A safe is heavy duty metal made not to give way.

jbsmwd
03-21-11, 13:13
Not really. Mil ammo cans are thin sheet metal that will give way as pressure builds. Either the metal itself, or the seals. They are meant to keep out moisture and stuff only.

A safe is heavy duty metal made not to give way.

palmhead slap

I did not think about the thickness of the safe vs mil. ammo can. I will just run back to the dark corner and hide.

Icculus
03-21-11, 19:57
As was stated you will get a bazillion different answers on how much--heck I saw a thread the other day where someone said they bought 230k. I'm definitely interested in hearing about different storage options people use though for long term, element protected storage.

Oh and I'm 100% in agreement with chadbag on the safe storage of ammo. After a house fire, your gun safe becoming a bomb is insult to injury

Packman73
03-21-11, 20:15
Ideally, 1000 rds per gun for me but as said before, get your food, fuel and water ready as well.

eo500
03-21-11, 20:16
I agree with most of what has already been said. The more ammo, the better. I started with a minimum of 1,000 5.56, and 500 9mm. I've since increased to at least 2,000 5.56 and 1,000 9mm for many of the reasons stated. If I want to take a class, and I only have 1,000 rounds, I could be short. Plus, I don't see ammo prices dropping any time soon, so I buy a case or two whenever I see a decent price.

Eventually, I'd like to have over a year's worth of ammo on top of my 2,000 5.56 and 1,000 9mm stored. I figure I shoot about 3,000 of both 5.56 and 9mm throughout the year. It could take me a while to do this with prices on the rise again plus, the more ammo I have around, the more I tend to shoot. :D

I almost forgot, I also keep a minimum of 5,000 rounds of .22.

jenrick
03-21-11, 20:52
Very very few safes are going to be anything close to air tight. Think about it for a minute, can you close your safe door without exerting undue pressure to shut it? Not air tight as your not having to displace the volume of air the door is filling. Can you fit a sheet of paper between the door and frame and still close the safe? Again not air tight. For that matter if you can place it by the hinge side and still even start to the close the door, it's not air tight. Is your safe drilled for a golden rod or other electrical dehumidifier? Again not air tight as it's got nice big holes in it, same with any kind of pre-drilled mounting holes.

You will find truly air tight safes if you go looking, they normally have mechanical assist systems to allow you to close the door (when we're taking gun safe sized or larger ones). They are also well out of the price range of the average person.

Now do I agree that your safe walls can transfer enough heat to allow the ammo to ignite, heck yes. I highly doubt it would grenade though, as the cans would not all cook off at the same time, nor would even a bunch of rounds. You'd get a pretty good fire going, and lot of flying cases, bullets, and primers as they burn but I doubt an explosion.

If you're really worried about use a treated wooden cabinet. Counter intuitive I know, but they are actually used quiet a bit for flammable chemical storage. Treated particle board can have 30+ minutes of ignition resistance against structural fire temps. Unlike metal wood does not transmit heat well at all, allowing the items inside to remain at a much lower temperature due to the lack of conducted heat.

-Jenrick

Icculus
03-21-11, 20:57
My understanding--which definitely could be wrong--was that as you stated they are not air tight but in a fire the fireproofing material inside expanded making them so.

river rat richard
03-21-11, 21:05
I figure its a good investment to keep plenty of reloading supplies&loaded ammo around.like stocking up on food,you buy the normal (non perishible) stuff you eat and rotate your stock.same with ammo.GI ammo cans for ammo&primers,and igloo ice chest for powder.as the price of base metals sky rocket and the value of the dollar falls ,its just a good investment! arifle or pistol round can anchor you a fur sack of bambi burgers,a dollar bill aint gonna fill your gut.

Makintrax73
03-21-11, 21:20
I you were budget constrained and truly serious about extended SHTF you would be a thousand times better off with 100 rounds for your rifle, 50 rounds for your pistol, and spend the rest of the money on non perishable food, water supply and a way to cook without gas or electric that doesn't draw attention to your location. Well fine throw in a couple bricks of 22LR for hunting just because it's cheap.

There are plenty of reasons to stockpile a little ammo. Nov. 2008 should be fresh in our memories. If you have the money buy all you want, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking we are better off with a stockpile of ammo than with basic things that you KNOW you need to stay above room temp. You MIGHT need ammo. You WILL need food and water.

Bimmer
03-21-11, 21:54
Whatever you do, don't store your ammo in your gun safe. In event of a fire it could be dangerous. Your gunsafe should be pretty much air tight and if it gets hot enough and the powder starts to burn, it can create an over pressure situation.

+1

There was a guy over on arf.com whose house burned down (billbots).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=478141

It was full of guns and ammo. All the ammo "cooked off" and the cases ruptured fairly harmlessly, and surplus ammo cans packed with ammo merely bulged.

One exception: if you leave guns with rounds chambered, those will cook off and fire, so think about where they'll go... i.e., your rifles in a gun safe in a basement are going to shoot through the roof, or a pistol laying flat in a MiniVault is going shoot sideways through the house.

Todd.K
03-22-11, 12:32
The man with 180 rounds of good defensive ammo for his carbine, loaded in mags on a small vest/bandoleer is far more prepared for any realistic SD/HD/disaster than the man with 10k of crap surplus or steel cased ammo in the basement/bunker.

Good defensive ammo would be:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

christcorp
03-22-11, 13:29
The man with 180 rounds of good defensive ammo for his carbine, loaded in mags on a small vest/bandoleer is far more prepared for any realistic SD/HD/disaster than the man with 10k of crap surplus or steel cased ammo in the basement/bunker.

Good defensive ammo would be:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

There's nothing "Realistic" about that.

And on the outer most possibility that you want to consider a disaster, like Katrina, and needing a vest/bandoleer/etc... as being realistic; you forgot the 3rd option. Steel case or surplus ammo not in the basement or bunker, but available.

Reality is a breaking and entering. Grabbing your AR and putting on your vest/bandoleer of magazines, is NOT realistic at 2:00 am. Even in a Katrina scenario, I don't think you're being realistic.

For realistic home defense (I don't carry my AR15 with me for Self Defense); 2 magazines is plenty good. You don't need 2 magazines for the amount of ammo; just in case one magazine fails. How much ammo to keep on hand as a HEDGE against temporary price increases? 1000 rounds is usually enough. I can easily shoot 400-500 rounds a month. But if there appeared to be a temporary ammo scare, like 2008-2009, I'd be plinking a little less and shoot more 22LR for fun. 1000 rounds could then last me about a year. Enough time hopefully for prices to correct.

chadbag
03-22-11, 13:43
There's nothing "Realistic" about that.

It is as realistic as having an AR for your breaking and entering. If you can have an AR with your breaking and entering, and 2 mags, you can have 6 mags.

Something like the Blue Force Gear 10-Speed 6 magazine bandoleer kept with your gun is as realistic as anything you have mentioned. And having good defensive ammo instead of training ammo in this mags is a one time thing and just as realistic.

Personally, if I am going to be carrying an AR in an emergency, I will also have my BFG belt and TT mini-MAV on as well. If that is not feasible, so is probably carrying an AR not feasible and I will have to rely on my handgun.

And on the outer most possibility that you want to consider a disaster, like Katrina, and needing a vest/bandoleer/etc... as being realistic; you forgot the 3rd option. Steel case or surplus ammo not in the basement or bunker, but available.

Reality is a breaking and entering. Grabbing your AR and putting on your vest/bandoleer of magazines, is NOT realistic at 2:00 am. Even in a Katrina scenario, I don't think you're being realistic.

For realistic home defense (I don't carry my AR15 with me for Self Defense); 2 magazines is plenty good. You don't need 2 magazines for the amount of ammo; just in case one magazine fails. How much ammo to keep on hand as a HEDGE against temporary price increases? 1000 rounds is usually enough. I can easily shoot 400-500 rounds a month. But if there appeared to be a temporary ammo scare, like 2008-2009, I'd be plinking a little less and shoot more 22LR for fun. 1000 rounds could then last me about a year. Enough time hopefully for prices to correct.

13MPG
03-22-11, 14:19
For each AR rifle I keep at least 1k on hand.

For my G19 and G17 I keep at least 1k on hand.

For my .22s I try and keep at least 2k-3k on hand.

For my shotguns I keep about 300 rounds of a mixed variety on hand.

As far as some of the calibers that I don’t shoot much I try and keep a couple hundred rounds on hand.

On TOS I saw a thread about a guy using lined 1 gallon paint cans to store ammo in a low key way. Sounds like a neat/cheap way to store ammo.

christcorp
03-22-11, 15:22
It is as realistic as having an AR for your breaking and entering. If you can have an AR with your breaking and entering, and 2 mags, you can have 6 mags.

Something like the Blue Force Gear 10-Speed 6 magazine bandoleer kept with your gun is as realistic as anything you have mentioned. And having good defensive ammo instead of training ammo in this mags is a one time thing and just as realistic.

Personally, if I am going to be carrying an AR in an emergency, I will also have my BFG belt and TT mini-MAV on as well. If that is not feasible, so is probably carrying an AR not feasible and I will have to rely on my handgun.

An AR would never be my 1st choice for a realistic home defense weapon. It would be my handgun 1st, and my 870 pump 2nd. If I was needing an Ar, it means I'm probably laying up on the roof in a SHTF scenario. I simply don't consider that a normal or realistic scenario. Can it happen? Sure it can. Any number of red-dawn type scenarios can happen. But carrying multiple magazines, bandoleer, vests, etc... would only exist if i had my wife and kids spread out around the house at different windows/doors/entry ways. But I guess there are those that believe those are very viable scenarios and they are preparing for them.

Todd.K
03-22-11, 15:40
You seem to have missed the point of my post. A reasonable amount of good defensive ammo, not steel cased or FMJ, readily available loaded in mags is more realistically going to cover your needs than a bunker loaded with ammo for the end of the world.

If someone wants to stockpile ammo I'm OK with it, it can even be cheap FMJ or steel cased but that should be after a reasonable amount of good ammo and training is taken care of.

Also, my brother deployed to Katrina. I'm not being unrealistic wanting a carbine and 6 mags readily available.

chadbag
03-22-11, 17:04
An AR would never be my 1st choice for a realistic home defense weapon. It would be my handgun 1st, and my 870 pump 2nd.

Your AR is probably one of the best HD weapons.

Packman73
03-22-11, 17:13

Maybe for when the zombies attack.;) I prefer a handgun.

Sumsky
03-22-11, 17:16
An AR would never be my 1st choice for a realistic home defense weapon. It would be my handgun 1st, and my 870 pump 2nd. If I was needing an Ar, it means I'm probably laying up on the roof in a SHTF scenario. I simply don't consider that a normal or realistic scenario. Can it happen? Sure it can. Any number of red-dawn type scenarios can happen. But carrying multiple magazines, bandoleer, vests, etc... would only exist if i had my wife and kids spread out around the house at different windows/doors/entry ways. But I guess there are those that believe those are very viable scenarios and they are preparing for them.

I have a Rifle and a sidearm for me my wife my daughter, and my two sons plus a extra Saiga 12 SBS to 12 inches. I am in the process of getting Backpacks loaded with survival gear and Food, if the situation arise we can move real quick. What would be a good amount of Ammo to carry in a situation like that?
On my property I have a Pond which is filled with Fish and all the water I need, belive me if shit hits the fan and people start to invade my property, I will protect my food and water for as long as I can. If I cant thats where the Backpacks come into play.

chadbag
03-22-11, 17:17
Maybe for when the zombies attack.;) I prefer a handgun.

Nothing to do with zombies. Handgun ammo tends to penetrate more. Your AR is probably your best bet for a HD weapon.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44869

czydj
03-22-11, 17:24
Your gunsafe should be pretty much air tight and if it gets hot enough and the powder starts to burn

How hot would the interior of a gun safe have to get to self-ignite the powder in the ammunition?

chadbag
03-22-11, 17:27
How hot would the interior of a gun safe have to get to self-ignite the powder in the ammunition?

That I don't know.

WillBrink
03-22-11, 17:30
You do realize that you are going to get about 500 different answers? It all depends on location, amount of weapons owned, budget, etc...

And how many zombies you expect once you get to the belt fed.

Bimmer
03-22-11, 17:52
An AR would never be my 1st choice for a realistic home defense weapon. It would be my handgun 1st, and my 870 pump 2nd.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Briefly, your best choices are, in order:

1. Rifle.

2. Shotgun.

3. Pistol.

This has come up here repeatedly. Search search search...

Packman73
03-22-11, 18:30
Nothing to do with zombies. Handgun ammo tends to penetrate more. Your AR is probably your best bet for a HD weapon.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44869
Not for me. I can clear my house (and the corners in it) way more effectively with a pistol. Everyone else can use what they wish.

christcorp
03-22-11, 22:19
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Briefly, your best choices are, in order:

1. Rifle.

2. Shotgun.

3. Pistol.

This has come up here repeatedly. Search search search...

Bimmer: For you maybe. Opinions are great. But don't tell me I'm wrong. I'm not. I know what my capabilities are. I know my house. I'll put my handgun up against your rifle. I never said the AR couldn't be your 1st choice. Simply that it wouldn't be "MY" 1st choice. The only thing that's "WRONG" is your opinion. You're delving into personal preference and opinion. And in that respect, you don't know what's right for me, or what you're talking about. So speak only for yourself. Thanks.

Chad: Like bimmer; you need to speak for yourself. Because you have no idea anyone else's situation. So don't automatically think that you know what is best. You don't. Over-penetration!!! Not a concern for me. Doesn't matter how much or where it penetrates or over penetrates. Not a problem. Even if I totally miss. In my house and the layout, I will stick with my handguns for home defense.

Sumsky: Wow.... Either where you live scares me; or you're really afraid of something. I've considered what I would do if I had to leave my home. That's a natural thought process. But to have backpacks always set up and ready to go? You must live in a very dangerous or uncertain place. To each their own.

nowayout
03-22-11, 22:36
Well, with keeping this on topic I try to keep around 2000 rounds at all times for my AR or whatever rifle I have. I have 600 rounds of shotgun shells and I dont have a pistol.

Lets try to keep things on topic as to not involve the mods, thanks.

Bimmer
03-22-11, 22:46
Bimmer: For you maybe. Opinions are great. But don't tell me I'm wrong...

You're delving into personal preference and opinion.

Because you have no idea anyone else's situation. So don't automatically think that you know what is best. You don't...

In my house and the layout, I will stick with my handguns for home defense.

Sumsky: Wow....

You're right. I don't know your situation, and in a small and cramped apartment, a handgun might be handier than a long gun.

For myself, I have a Glock in a MiniVault under my bed, because I can't keep a carbine under my bed, and the gun safe is in the next room (I'd rather negotiate with Gadafi than my wife).

However, let's NOT pretend that this is about "personal preference." This isn't the same as you liking "flat dark earth" and me liking "foliage green."

There are objectively better tools and better ways of doing things, and people a lot more knowledgeable than me have basically figured out what works best for home defense, and the consensus is that a carbine is a much better option than a shotgun or a pistol.

Don't argue with me about it — you can search for the threads where this has come up again and again.

As for Sumsky... Wow.

NoveskeFan
03-22-11, 22:49
For my two AR's, so far I have 1760 brass cased ammo, and 1000 steel cased. I plan on keeping that in the reserve and buying some bulk XM193 for range time. I store it in the gun safe...maybe I need some ammo cans and move it to the closet.

Iraqgunz
03-22-11, 23:49
Unfortunately you will never convince him that's true.

Iraqgunz
03-22-11, 23:58
christcorp aka Pot meet Kettle.

So you scoff at this guy who is in his opinion (prepared), but yet when someone tells you that your thinking is wrong when it comes to choosing a pistol or shotgun over an AR for home defense you get miffed.

Seems a little hypocritical doesn't it?

A pistol is a weapon of convenience. We carry them because they can be easily concealed and transported. In our homes this becomes a non-issue. When we use deadly force our goal is to stop the threat IMMEDIATELY and I think it's safe to say that a good rifle will get you there faster than a pistol.

Bimmer: For you maybe. Opinions are great. But don't tell me I'm wrong. I'm not. I know what my capabilities are. I know my house. I'll put my handgun up against your rifle. I never said the AR couldn't be your 1st choice. Simply that it wouldn't be "MY" 1st choice. The only thing that's "WRONG" is your opinion. You're delving into personal preference and opinion. And in that respect, you don't know what's right for me, or what you're talking about. So speak only for yourself. Thanks.

Chad: Like bimmer; you need to speak for yourself. Because you have no idea anyone else's situation. So don't automatically think that you know what is best. You don't. Over-penetration!!! Not a concern for me. Doesn't matter how much or where it penetrates or over penetrates. Not a problem. Even if I totally miss. In my house and the layout, I will stick with my handguns for home defense.

Sumsky: Wow.... Either where you live scares me; or you're really afraid of something. I've considered what I would do if I had to leave my home. That's a natural thought process. But to have backpacks always set up and ready to go? You must live in a very dangerous or uncertain place. To each their own.

Packman73
03-23-11, 00:06
With all due respect, but I can clear my house faster with my pistol than I can with my rifles or shotguns. My kids' rooms are on the far side of the house and if something goes bump in the night, I need to get there quick. Negotiating the corners in my home slows me down with a long gun and there isn't enough room to pie the corner properly. If I didn't have the layout I have or if I didn't have kids at all, I'd gladly use one of my ARs.

mattmcg
03-23-11, 00:10
My recommendation.

At least 250 rounds of quality ammo per firearm
At least 500 rounds of plinking ammo per firearm

Best way to store it is in a 50 Cal or SAW ammo can with a rechargeable dissicant packet in it. Should last for decades.

keeganxt
03-23-11, 00:10
I feel like I'm watching Billy Madison: pistols are betta, no, AR's are betta...

I feel comfortable keeping about 1000 rds in constant supply. Keep 500 in rotation for practice and 1000 rds just in case. This is for my AR. For my pistol, I'd say 500 rds, with 250 that I cycle out for practice use. Of course if I had to bug out, it's going to get cut down to the mags that I have so far, 8 pmags and 5 for my pistol.

What are you looking at swwwwaaaaannnnnnn!?!?

christcorp
03-23-11, 00:28
Iraqguns; go back and check ANY of my posts. I never tell people that what they do is wrong. That is totally up to each person to decide. Matter of fact, the majority of debates/arguments/fights, etc... that go on here; is usually because some people are convinced to tell people they are wrong; or they bought junk; etc...

I specifically said that for me, my AR15 would not be my primary home defense weapon. For someone to step in and say: wrong, wrong, wrong: goes beyond an "Opinion". And you know that. There is no hypocrisy here at all. I never once told anyone that an AR15 shouldn't be their primary home defense weapon. Simply that it won't be mine. So; what's the problem?

FWIW: Every weapon in my safes can be used for home defense if necessary. I simply choose to not have them placed as my primary weapon. I keep 3 pistols with laser sights placed throughout the house that are my primary home defense weapon if needed. They are conveniently placed; secured; I'll probably never need them; but they're there if needed. I also have an 870 pump secured that is easy to get to during most sleeping hours. That works for me.

Iraqgunz
03-23-11, 03:23
Enough of the thread hijacking- I am guilty as well. Let's keep this on track.

WillBrink
03-23-11, 08:15
A pistol is a weapon of convenience. .

And notoriously poor man stoppers in standard calibers most people associate with pistols. I keep approx 1000rnd for each firearm that requires it's own caliber that I own, .40, 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56.

d90king
03-23-11, 08:25
When it comes to questions about "how much ammo" my answer is always as much as you can afford. You can never have to much ammo, but you can have to little...

christcorp
03-23-11, 09:14
The OP mentioned that it wasn't for zombies, but for a "Temporary" situation such as Katrina. Until order is restored.

In those scenarios, most plinking/practice ammo is quite sufficient. So if you have around 1000 rounds, that's more than enough. (For the AR15). Many people buy this kind of ammo in 500-1000 round bulk because it's much cheaper. And the reason i say that even plinking/practice type ammo is good for this temporary scenario, is because this scenario most likely is creating opportunists and looters. They aren't specifically coming after you and your house. Just that it "Appears" to be convenient. Just about anything you shoot at them will stop them. There will be many easier targets for them to go after once they realize you're fighting back. Now; if the entire is blacked out, and your house is the only one with lights on because you have a generator. And it's obvious that you and your family are "Comfortable". There are some that might want to take that away from you. But even then, I'd feel just as comfortable shooting FMJ, SP, or anything else i had on hand.

But also remember. Right after Katrina, the local government confiscated most all weapons. People argue that the courts afterwards said this was unconstitutional. Well, that's after the fact. The fact remains, you need to be prepared on how to handle surviving such a situation if the local government tries to take your guns. Remember; they aren't going to let you keep it until your case goes to court. You'll have the macho people that says they WON'T let the local authority take their guns. They'll get into a show-down. Well, I really doubt that.

My point is; such a scenario like Katrina is usually forewarned. They are trying to evacuate people and such. if you choose to stay; have a place where you can hide/store your "Emergency ammo/guns". a simple place you can move certain guns and ammo. And DON'T try and hide all your guns/ammo. This way, if the local police do come to confiscate, you'll have something to give them if they insist. If you hide everything, they will find proof of firearms/ammo and then they'll thoroughly search. I have 2 "Inventories" that I maintain. If a katrina/SHTF scenario develops, I have certain weapons and ammo that I can quickly move out and hide.

Sumsky
03-23-11, 11:46

christcorp, I might just be paranoid. I live in Florida Palmbeach County, very nice area. The uncertain place is this world :laugh: I dont stock pile Ammo, just in case we have to up and move. I look way ahead. There are so many people living each day not paying attention to whats going on around them. They get caught up with bills pretty cars, trying to keep up with the jones, WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Packman73
03-23-11, 11:58
FWIW, I'm with ya Sumsky. I'd like to stay in my home if SHTF but I keep a GOOD(get out of Dodge) bag ready if I'm forced to go.