PDA

View Full Version : Another Zeroing Question

Wes Robinson
03-20-11, 09:54
I know this been asked and talk to death but I'm not finding any directions for zeroing a 16 inch barrel carbine with after market folding sights (Troy DOA rear & A.R.M.S. 41 front). Most if not all of the post rant on about stock sights and 8/3 & 6/3 tricks, and no mention of hold overs. if it is already posted please point out.

But my BUIS is the question, I know elevation would be adjusted via the front post and windage the rear aperture, but what would be the best zero, giving me easy hold overs and what would those hold overs be.

Also my soon to arrive ACOG TA01 (correct me if wrong) should be zeroed using the 33 meter method and confirm / tweak the 100, and check the 200 and 300.

AMMOTECH
03-20-11, 10:32
Zero your weapon at 50 yards and this will keep your point of aim and point of impact within a couple of inches from 0-200 yards. No need for hold over/under at those ranges with the 50y Z.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/improved_battle_sight_zero_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/50yardzero.jpg

sdcromer
03-20-11, 10:45
Yep, 50 yards and call it good.

Mac5.56
03-20-11, 12:20
One thing Wes that you may be missing too is that most BUIS (I say most here because I can not scientifically conclude that "all" open sites are like this) sites are designed to operate in the same way and at the same height as fixed sites on an M4. That is why there is no discussion of difference in zeroing on the forum.

Good luck with your new BUIS!

Wes Robinson
03-20-11, 12:46
Excellent info thank you, chance that program can spit out one in meters, also am I correct on the acog procedure.

I was under the impression that after market sights that mounted on flat tops adjusted for this, but never read it any where specifly.

Belmont31R
03-20-11, 12:57
Im a proponent of the 50 yard zero, too. From about 35 yards to about 250 (depends on your ammo and rifle) the POI will be within ~2" of POA. No real need for hold overs or hold unders.

If you want a rear BUIS that is meant to be adjusted for specific ranges look at the Knights 600M. It has a drum with hash marks and distance numbers. You just turn the drum to the setting for the range you are shooting at after making a range card.

strambo
03-20-11, 14:59
Backups at 50 and the ACOG at 100 to match its reticle.