PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?'s

shadow_dog
09-21-07, 19:58
I am new to the AR platform. I have 1 S&W AR now.

Anyway, here is my question--I have been considering a 9mm AR for awhile. A friend at work told me he was going to be getting rid of a couple of his guns. I asked him what they were. One is a Rock River 9mm. He said he got it from a dealer that usually only handles RR's. He said it had a special stage trigger in it, that was different from the regular triggers. And the dealer told him it could be swapped out to 223 by ONLY changing uppers. no other part changes were necessary. Does this sound right?
He has shot about 500 rds thru it he said without any problems.

Here is the "deal"--RR AR 9mm carbine with fixed front sight, rear fold sight, Hogue grip, 3 Uzi mags, EOTECH that uses AA batts and 400 rds of WWB. The EOTECH was bought with the carbine. Price is $950, worth it or not?

If it is worth it, what are the pluses of having a 9mm verses a 556 AR, if any?

TIA,
shadow_dog

Chief_Wiggum
09-21-07, 21:44
1) "special" trigger is probably the RRA 2 stage trigger. I like the "regular" single stage trigger better. Some find the 2 stage trigger less durable.

2) changing to .223 would require at least removing the magazine adapter from the lower. So there's a part change right there. I believe the RRA 9mm hammer will function in a .223 upper.

3) at $1000 that's a lot of money for an RRA 9mm, even with the Eotech. for that much money you can pick up a brand new LMT .223. For $200 more you can buy a brand spanking new Colt 9mm

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/AR6450_AR_15_9MM_CARBINE_click_here_to_view_qty_in_stock-3-6.html

4) pluses to 9mm? It's a lot of fun to shoot. Fun to SBR if you're interested in doing that down the road. Cheap ammo. I think of mine as more of a fun gun than anything else.

ech01
10-02-07, 23:24
At 950 , IMO is pretty steep for a used AR... Even at my Company, you can get a 9mm, flat top, flip up BUIS, a Tac Bag, and a 9mm mag for just about that same price... brand new.

For my personal 9mm AR, i have the Hanh 9mm block in the mag well. I guess you would call it a "dedicated" lower because it would take a little work to remove it... which would be a hassle. But to answer your question, No, it would not work by "only" changing uppers unless you have a magazine well adapter.

I LOVE my 9mm for many reasons. Well, main reason is that at 50 cents a round for the .223 nowadays, i simply dont want to pay that much just to practice at the range. Speaking of Range... I usually go to indoor ranges (which are all that are around me) and there is only 1 rifle range which allows .223 and that range is about... 40 minutes away.

Having a 9mm AR lets me practice with the AR platform at any gun range for alot less amount of money.

Here I am shooting Spike's Tactical's Personal FA 9mm AR:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LpYdnZ1nrjE

Could you imagine how much that would cost per magazine to shoot .223???? :eek:

Regardless, Good Luck with your 9mm hunt!!

SuicideHz
10-02-07, 23:35
WHAAAATTTT?????

$950 isn't bad at all. 500 rounds through it? 3 mags? Eotech 512? Come on. It's worth it.

I'd buy it. For sure.

That rifle has to go for $850 new. Eotech $300 used. Flip up rear sight? $70ish used. RRA NM 2 stage? A $100 trigger when new. UZI Mags made for the RRA magwell adapter $30 each new. One comes with the new rifle. Hogue grips are worth nothing to me.

ech01
10-02-07, 23:41
I've seen some go for alot less... And remember..thats my personal opinion

However, I do get your point with all the extra accessories...Eotech is enticing but its still alot. If it were like... perhaps 800, then i'd ask for your friends number :cool:

I guess I must say.

"To each his own" :D

SuicideHz
10-03-07, 18:39
No, that's not an opinion. If you've seen it, you've seen it. Are you saying the rifle goes for less than I said? Probably, I don't know but it was a guess. My point was the other features that most people want ASAP anyway and this would be a good way to get some pretty nice things that you WILL want on a 9mm anyway.

The Archangel
10-05-07, 10:04
At 950 , IMO is pretty steep for a used AR... Even at my Company, you can get a 9mm, flat top, flip up BUIS, a Tac Bag, and a 9mm mag for just about that same price... brand new.

For my personal 9mm AR, i have the Hanh 9mm block in the mag well. I guess you would call it a "dedicated" lower because it would take a little work to remove it... which would be a hassle. But to answer your question, No, it would not work by "only" changing uppers unless you have a magazine well adapter.

I LOVE my 9mm for many reasons. Well, main reason is that at 50 cents a round for the .223 nowadays, i simply dont want to pay that much just to practice at the range. Speaking of Range... I usually go to indoor ranges (which are all that are around me) and there is only 1 rifle range which allows .223 and that range is about... 40 minutes away.

Having a 9mm AR lets me practice with the AR platform at any gun range for alot less amount of money.

Spike seems like a preety cool guy from what I've heard around here. I'm going to have to buy something from him at the end of the month. I'm thinking a .22 upper. Damn the wife is going to say, NOT ANOTHER TOY!!! :D

ech01
10-05-07, 10:23
Yeah, he sure is... he's one of the most laid back guys I know in this industry. Funny as hell.

I'm not really sure where you are located, but we have a gun show in Orlando at the Fair Grounds this weekend (october 6-7) ... its our main show, and we have a blast out there just hanging out and selling "toys" =). Hope to see you there!

SuicideHz
10-05-07, 18:36

Without the Eotech!

IrishDevil
10-05-07, 19:22
I'd be all over that for $950, I paid $800 for my RRA 9mm brand new. So with the Eotech and mags, that's a steal.

SuicideHz
10-05-07, 19:49
Thought so...

Grab it!!!

you won't be disappointed especially when you look up the cost for the parts.

ech01
10-06-07, 00:52
Just because there is an Eotech and a few mags in the deal, shouldnt be your sole decision to buy the rifle...you know what i mean?

He did just say he bought a brand new 9mm RRA for 800. You're buying a USED one for 950 (yes yes I know, it comes with parts, but still)...

I've seen alot better deals than that.

But Hey, go for it if you must...dont let me try to talk you out of it. Its YOUR rifle in the end =)

Good Luck 9mm Hunting!