PDA

View Full Version : What gear does Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild use?

blasternank
03-20-11, 13:27
I see he has to have some awesome boots as he is always climbing, going through water and ruffing through God knows what.

Also, what type of knife does he have? He uses it for so many things so it has to be a good one.

Any other gear worth mentioning?

Thanks.

NeoNeanderthal
03-20-11, 13:45
Bear grylls is a survival fraud. If you want gear recommendations id go with Ray Mears or Cody Lundin. They are legit, and i've trained with Cody so even though the TV makes him seem like a wierdo- he knows his shit.

kmrtnsn
03-20-11, 13:49
This is right up there with the Chris Costa clothing and hair products thread.

PappyM3
03-20-11, 13:52
He has his own line of knives with Gerber. He's out to make money. I can't blame him on that, but don't look to him for actual survival gear. For boots, just pick some that get good reviews for durability and then choose the one that fits your feet best.

And as far as his show goes, he does so many things that are counter to survival. Why does he run everywhere? That burns so many more calories. It's not like he's trying to escape pursuers. Also, he frequently goes down into caves without knowing if there's a way out. How is that beneficial for survival?

bkb0000
03-20-11, 14:13
This is right up there with the Chris Costa clothing and hair products thread.

:eek:

im not even gonna ask for the link.

---

as stated, bear is a retard and not to be heeded on anything. i refuse to watch him at all, to avoid the possibility that i might remember any of it and try to use it in an emergency.

we actually happen to have MANY threads on great field knives and probably almost as many threads on great field boots, too... so you're in luck. use the orange search button at the top of the page, not the gray/blue one.

blasternank
03-20-11, 19:21
I appreciate the comments. I know he is controversial as to being a survivalist. I'm sure many things are for "t.v.". I was just curious to know what some of these guys use as I always see him using his knife and boots and was wondering what they were and what equipment they were using and if they are sponsors to the show! Thanks again for the input.

Tortuga
03-20-11, 22:17
I always see him using his knife and boots and was wondering what they were and what equipment they were using and if they are sponsors to the show.

If not actual show sponsors, I'm pretty confident they didn't cost him anything. Product placement goes a longs ways!

I don't fault the guy...as much as I want to roll my eyes at his antics, some drama must be injected for mass consumption. For the most part, sound survival practices can be pretty boring for non-outdoorsy folks. Besides, he's making more money playing in the woods than I do.

Boots and knives...you sure picked two items people are passionate and differ about greatly. Research, read and find out what fits YOUR needs, not someone elses.

The good thing about the knife part...if you buy one and find it doesn't fit your needs, trade or sell it for another.

Army Chief
03-21-11, 06:02
I believe this one has gone about as far as it can reasonably go before the fashionistas take over. Moving right along ...

AC