PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power 9mm

NeoItaly
03-20-11, 14:57
Just thought I would share. Had this since 1990. Gold series trigger.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/NeoItaly1/3ff62719.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/NeoItaly1/01c600e2.jpg

deeHKman
03-21-11, 07:08
Very Nice, Chrome? JMB thought his BHP was his finest/Best design. I believe it could have been the most popular over the 1911 also but our Military needed that .45 over there .38 revolvers. thanks for the pics

NeoItaly
03-21-11, 07:41
Thanks

1oldgrunt
03-21-11, 19:03
JMB died 8 years BEFORE the HiPower came to fruition! If you look at his original design it is a far cry from what Saive finished.
Great Gun but..........................

Timbonez
03-21-11, 19:26
True. It was a creation from both designers.

TY44934
03-22-11, 10:44
JMB died 8 years BEFORE the HiPower came to fruition! If you look at his original design it is a far cry from what Saive finished.

I would be interested in seeing that design & how it differed from the 1st true 1935 "Browning High Power."

I am a fan of the 75. While many people point to the difference between the 75 and the 1935/high power, I have found similarities, for example:

-I have an early Solothurn AT-84 9mm- which is a 75 copied off the original, "pre-B" CZ-75. And I have an early, internal extractor, Hi Power 9mm.

The barrels have different lugs & linkless designs, but they otherwise interchange in the slides; even the barrel hoods are identical.

If you have one, please post a link to JMB's last known design for the Hi Power before he died - I'd like to see what he had in mind.

Timbonez
03-22-11, 13:09
TY,
Here is some info I found from a .69 sec google search. http://hp35.netfirms.com/history/history.htm

1oldgrunt
03-22-11, 14:08
Here's a response on a HI Power forum I posted.
---------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Nick
I got in a lively discussion on how JMB's original design was a far cry from the end result of Saive. I copied the below text and am trying to find a scetch of original design. I never realized his original design was striker fired!

__________________________________________________ _______________

The Hi-Power was designed in response to a French military requirement for a new service pistol, the Grand Rendement (French for "High Yield"), or alternatively Grande Puissance (literally "high power"). The French military's requirements were that the arm should be compact, have a capacity of at least 10 rounds, a magazine disconnect device, an external hammer, a positive safety, be robust and simple to disassemble and re-assemble, and be capable of killing a man at 50 meters; this last criterion was seen to demand a caliber of 9 mm or larger, a bullet mass of around 8 grams, and a muzzle velocity of 350 m/s. It was to accomplish all of this at a weight not exceeding 1 kg (2.2 lb).

FN commissioned John Browning to design a new military sidearm conforming to this specification. Browning had previously sold the rights to his successful M1911 U.S. Army automatic pistol to Colt's Patent Firearms, and was therefore forced to design an entirely new pistol while working around the M1911 patents. Browning built two different prototypes for the project in Utah and filed the patent for this pistol in the United States on June 28 1923 and granted on February 22, 1927.[2][3] One was a simple blowback design, while the other was operated with a locked-breech recoil system. Both prototypes utilized the new staggered magazine design (by designer Dieudonné Saive) to increase capacity without unduly increasing the pistol's grip size or magazine length.

The locked breech design was selected for further development and testing. This model was striker-fired, and featured a double-column magazine that held 16 rounds. The design was refined through several trials held by the Versailles Trial Commission.

In 1928, when the patents for the Colt Model 1911 had expired, Dieudonné Saive integrated many of the Colt's previously patented features into the Grand Rendement design, in the Saive-Browning Model of 1928. This version featured the removable barrel bushing and take down sequence of the Colt 1911.
By 1931, the Hi-Power design incorporated a shortened 13-round magazine, a curved rear grip strap, and a barrel bushing that was integral to the slide assembly. By 1934, the Hi-Power design was complete and ready to be produced. It was first adopted by Belgium for military service in 1935 as the Browning P-35. Ultimately, France decided not to adopt the pistol, instead selecting the conceptually similar Modèle 1935 pistol.
__________________________________________________ ___________

If I can locate an original sketch I'll post it.

Look up US patent 1,618,510. This is JMB's patent on what became the HP, and includes drawings of the gun. I have this patent saved off in PDF format, but it's 1.5meg in size, which is too big to attach.

----------------------------------------------------------------
new edit:Timbonez like your .69 seconds "how lazy can you be response". Seems everyone these days wants to be handed everything w/o putting forth any effort in something they are suppossed to be interested in!

samuse
03-22-11, 22:07
I would be interested in seeing that design & how it differed from the 1st true 1935 "Browning High Power."

I am a fan of the 75. While many people point to the difference between the 75 and the 1935/high power, I have found similarities, for example:

-I have an early Solothurn AT-84 9mm- which is a 75 copied off the original, "pre-B" CZ-75. And I have an early, internal extractor, Hi Power 9mm.

The barrels have different lugs & linkless designs, but they otherwise interchange in the slides; even the barrel hoods are identical.

If you have one, please post a link to JMB's last known design for the Hi Power before he died - I'd like to see what he had in mind.

They are both short recoil operated pistos using the Browning linkless barrel design.

Other than that, they are totally different animals, especially the slide.