PDA

View Full Version : Glock Match Barrels

VA_Dinger
03-20-11, 16:58
I'm interested in getting a Match Target barrel installed into one of my Glock 17's. I have set my sights on the Wilson Combat (Out of stock) or Bar-Sto (14-16 weeks).

If you have a match barrel by any manufacturer in your Glock please post your experiences. Do they run? Notice any accuracy improvements? Did you install it yourself? If not, who did the work?

I'm curious to hear how they run.

willowofwisp
03-20-11, 17:03
Va,

A fellow local club member has a wilson combat barrel installed in his Glock 17, I have seen him shoot it a few times in PPC matches and it shoots pretty good groups at 50 feet (he normally shoots a 585-590 on a b27r). I have never seen him have any issues with it but I know he shoots pretty light reloads through it (147gr berry's plated not sure on the load).

A quick question if you don't mind answering, are you replacing the barrel to achieve higher accuracy or other reasons?

YVK
03-21-11, 00:41
I have a Glock 19 with gunsmith-fitted Briley barrel. It actually was fitted by Briley themselves.
Previous owner had it checked through a Ransom rest, 5 ten round groups of 124 +P HST at 25 yards. Average group was just over 3 inches, range 2.6-3.6. I believe total on invoice was 300 bucks for barrel and work.
In my opinion, not worth it. It runs very reliably, though.

skyugo
03-21-11, 00:55
I have a Glock 19 with gunsmith-fitted Briley barrel. It actually was fitted by Briley themselves.
Previous owner had it checked through a Ransom rest, 5 ten round groups of 124 +P HST at 25 yards. Average group was just over 3 inches, range 2.6-3.6. I believe total on invoice was 300 bucks for barrel and work.

a ransom rest may not be a fair test on a glock, as the slide to frame fit is pretty lose, while the slide to barrel (and hence barrel to sight) fit is quite tight. if you're just supporting the gun by the frame and not looking at the sights for each shot the perceived accuracy would suffer due to the loose frame to slide fit.

YVK
03-21-11, 01:02
What's the alternative?

skyugo
03-21-11, 01:21
What's the alternative?

ya know, i really don't know. i guess if you used a ransom rest and aligned the sights each time, but that seems like human error would come in pretty heavily.

there was another thread about ransom rests somewhere (maybe in ammo and reloading) and it came up that it was a poor way to test pistols for that reason.

Rattlehead
03-21-11, 01:22
The Bar-Sto's are very nice barrels if you don't mind the wait. I have another one on order for my 23 right now.
Groups go from 7"-8" to around a 2" at 50 yards.
Never had any issues with function/feeding.
Had to install it myself, and it required a bit of filing around the hood of the barrel, other than that no modifications. Bar-Sto offers drop ins as well, I don't like those however because they don't fit as well.

I can't speak for the Wilson Combat barrel as I haven't owned any.

I'm interested in getting a Match Target barrel installed into one of my Glock 17's. I have set my sights on the Wilson Combat (Out of stock) or Bar-Sto (14-16 weeks).

If you have a match barrel by any manufacturer in your Glock please post your experiences. Do they run? Notice any accuracy improvements? Did you install it yourself? If not, who did the work?

I'm curious to hear how they run.

High Tower
03-21-11, 10:45
Our gunsmith installed a Storm Lake barrel on my 22. Groups did shrink fractionally. I did have some reliability issues using the 10 round mags - which is most likely the mag. Overall, I like it but i would be curious to see how the Wilson barrel does as well.

m1a_scoutguy
03-23-11, 10:43

Key words there,,NOT worth it !!! Spend the $$$$ on more trigger time !! I shoot with a buddy that has a "Stock" Glock 17 and we shoot Action Pistol and he consitently shoots high 460,,470s and a Perfect Score is 480 !!! He shoots Cast 125 grn reloads ! Sorry for not really helping out with experiance with a Match BBL,,but just figured I would add my views on it !!! I will take my 20 lashes now !! ;)

YVK
03-23-11, 12:51
I fitted a BarSto semi-drop-in barrel to my G19 and shot consistant 25 yard, 5 shot groups of 1" or under from a rest. This was using a Leupold Deltapoint and Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P+. The factory barrel shot about 2.6" with the same set up.

I have had a different experience with mine. I have one Glock frame, 2 slides and three barrels. One slide is the one that had Briley barrel mated to it; I also have an OEM barrel for it. I have not noticed any considerable difference in group sizes between two barrels; the biggest difference is a consistency of groups between different types of ammo with match barrel. Interestingly, OEM barrel shoots high and needs 0.215 front sight, and Briley shoots even higher and needs 0.235 sight.
The other slide has a JP optic and its respective OEM barrel, and the optic cuts groups by at least 40%.

JohnN
03-23-11, 16:31
I just looked at BarSto's site, am I reading that right, they charge $175 to fit a Glock barrel? Whew!!

glocktogo
03-23-11, 19:38
Bar-Sto & KKM are generally considered top notch match barrels for a Glock. I run semi drop-in Bar-Sto's in a 17 and a 34 with no reliability issues. Group sizes at 25 yards shrank to about 2" for 10 rounds (down from 3.5-4"), with match loads using once fired Starline brass and Montana Gold 115gr JHP's. Using the Bar-Sto's I've also noticed that the lockup is much tighter. The back of the slide doesn't dip down as much when pulling the trigger and it makes the trigger feel noticeably less mushy.

Magic_Salad0892
03-24-11, 05:09
Do they offer threaded barrels?

Robb Jensen
03-24-11, 07:13
When shooting Glocks in USPSA and IDPA I used to use KKM barrels because my match ammo wouldn't stabilize in the polygonal twist. This was a 147gr JHP ZERO brand bullet using VV N310 and N320 powder and I had to use a custom undersize LEE sizing die. This ammo would shoot fine in CZs, SIGs and Berettas but for some reason if shot out of a polygonal barrel I would get tumbling in as little as 10-15yds. I think the bullet didn't swell into the rifling as good in a polygonal barrel. The KKM was marginally more accurate than stock. I also had a drop in Bar-Sto that I fitted to a Glock 17 and it was twice as accurate as a stock barrel. Reliability was 100% with both KKM and Bar-Sto. I've seen only 1 Bar-Sto give problems and this was a guy competitive shooter who was using lead bullets and was lazy and didn't clean his barrel much. Eventually he had stoppage after stoppage at the VA/MD Sectional match because the lead had built up in front of the chamber and would allow rounds to feed.
Irv at Bar-Sto is working on a custom M&P barrel and locking block. I'm hoping he's successful with that and can change the lock time a bit. M&Ps unlock faster than just about any pistol known.

glocktogo
03-24-11, 07:55
Do they offer threaded barrels?

Bar-Sto does. Note the extra length that allows clearance for the Nielsen device to work without contacting the slide.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG4194-1.jpg

CAVDOC
03-24-11, 10:48
I am hearing some pretty impressive results from glocks with fitted match barrels in this thread- I did not think the basic design had enough inherent accuracy to get under 6 inch groups at 50 yards regardless of barrel- learning something new. will I get a match barrel for my glocks- no because if I want to shoot small long range groups I have other guns for that. My factory glocks give me(maybe not others) every thing I need in a holster gun with groups running under 3 inches at 25 yards with the gun all stock.