PDA

View Full Version : First Scope Ordered! Nikon 1-4x20 M223

ejewels
03-20-11, 21:27
So I just pulled the trigger on a new Nikon 1-4x20 M223 Scope for my 16" bbl Colt MT6400c. I also ordered the P.E.P.R mount for it. I'm a newbie with scopes, and from the research Ive done, it seems this is a good lower budget scope for the range and plinking. I have a few questions that maybe someone could answer.

1) My gun is a 16" bbl M4 AR. Is this scope legit for this application? I read some places that scopes can be very specific for bullet types. I always shoot XM193 55 grain 5.56 in mine at about 50 - 100 yards.

2) Anyone use this scope on their rifles? How do you all like it?? I come only from red dots, and i wanted some magnification.

Bimmer
03-20-11, 22:14
1) My gun is a 16" bbl M4 AR. Is this scope legit for this application? I read some places that scopes can be very specific for bullet types. I always shoot XM193 55 grain 5.56 in mine at about 50 - 100 yards.

Sure, why not?

You're shooting at point blank range, so the turrets and any ranging reticle don't really matter.

In fact, you're going to see a lot more difference in PoI and PoA from the scope offset above the bore than you will in trajectory at 50-100 yards — you'll impact lower at 50 yards, and higher at 100 yards.

2) Anyone use this scope on their rifles? How do you all like it???

No, but I have a couple Nikon Monarch 2-8x32s, and I think they're great...

ejewels
03-21-11, 08:22
Thanks, I'm new to scopes in general. Another noob question. When a scope is rated for a certain type of ammunition, does that mean you can't use the scope with other calibers /ammunition? Or does it just work best with that ammo? I've seen this scope mounted on 6.8's before, and it seems many mount it on various weapons with various barrel lengths...

Sounds like this scope is perfect for me since I don't shoot much past 200 yards.

bman940
03-21-11, 08:25
E., I think you made the right choice for your ammo and shooting style. I have Nikon's 1-4 Point Blank Reticle on a DPMS sweet 16 and also a Smith and Wesson MP 15/22. It works great for both applications. I think once you get your 100 yard zero you will be good to go. I really like how easy target acquisition and aliginment is with this scope. My 11 year old really works over the Smith and he out shoot me constantly in our little shooting games.
Post a pic of your rig when you get a chance.
You can also go to Nikonhunting.com and click the Spot On logo, it'll ask you to register then take you to a FREE site where you can enter all your shooting data and get the ballistics, pretty cool site.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Sure, why not?

You're shooting at point blank range, so the turrets and any ranging reticle don't really matter.

In fact, you're going to see a lot more difference in PoI and PoA from the scope offset above the bore than you will in trajectory at 50-100 yards — you'll impact lower at 50 yards, and higher at 100 yards.

No, but I have a couple Nikon Monarch 2-8x32s, and I think they're great...

ejewels
03-21-11, 08:31
Thanks Bart,

The zero is another question I have. I usually zero my rifle with an IBZ (50 yards). How should I zero the rifle with this scope on it? I will be running folding BUIS

bman940
03-21-11, 09:08
If you shoot 50 yards more then 100 I would sight in for 50.
Pretty easy to do with this scope. You just have to remember it is not a fine taget crosshair. Here's some pics of a 3 in. 50 yards target with about 25 rounds in it from a Smith and Wesson MP 15-22 with a Nikon M-223 1-4 scope.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/3incirclefromM-2231-4.jpg

Here's what the rifle looks like with
Nikon's M-223 AR Mount and M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/GavinandSmith-1.jpg

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Thanks Bart,

The zero is another question I have. I usually zero my rifle with an IBZ (50 yards). How should I zero the rifle with this scope on it? I will be running folding BUIS

ejewels
03-21-11, 09:22
The point of this scope is being able to reach out past 50 yards (x4) easier but still be able to use as more of a close quarters / red dot style use (1x) correct? Is this why there isn't a fine crosshair as opposed to longer range sights?

What MOA is the dot in the center?

bman940
03-21-11, 09:34
Yes, This scope is made for rapid target acquisition. The subtension at 100 yards is 3 MOA. I have shot 10 inch steel plates staggered from 50-150 yards with ease. I have also spoken with guys who use this scope for 3 gun competitions and have shot out past 200 yards. I don't think I would do well at that range but maybe after some practice....
This scope in my opinion functions best inside of 200 yards and from what I can tell most folks who buy it are using it inside of that distance.
I hope this information helps?
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

ejewels
03-21-11, 09:38
Yes, thanks. My range doesn't go out past 200 yards, so I'm good. Thanks

shootist~
03-21-11, 09:53
Just go shoot it - that's the best way for you to learn how things actually work.

MPDC
03-21-11, 10:04
Great choice for many people. I love mine because the glass is typical Nikon, high quality and bright. The point blank reticle is, for me, as easy as using a red dot at 1:1 and the ability to magnify , even at closer ranges is very welcome for my tired, old eyes.

Solidly built and years of shooting pictures with various Nikons gives me confidence in the longevity I can expect. First class scope for a very low price. Unless you need illumination, this is THE one, IMHO.:big_boss:

bman940
03-21-11, 11:16
The easiest and most correct reply!
Thanks!

MassMark
03-21-11, 11:20
I helped a new shooter sight in this scope at my range. I was surprised and impressed with what a nice scope this is for pretty short money. If Nikon ever puts a quality, daylight visible illumination on this pup and keeps the price close, they'll be hard pressed to keep up with demand...

ejewels
03-21-11, 12:16
Would the M223 Nikon mount raise the scope high enough over the FSB? I know the PEPR is supposed to, but not sure about the nikon one.

bman940
03-24-11, 07:20
I have never heard anyone complain that this was an issue with either mount ej.

Would the M223 Nikon mount raise the scope high enough over the FSB? I know the PEPR is supposed to, but not sure about the nikon one.