PDA

View Full Version : Holsters

Evan_O
09-21-07, 22:01
What are all you guys using that carry a G17 or G19 (off duty) iwb or owb?

Thanks

John_Wayne777
09-21-07, 22:05
What are all you guys using that carry a G17 or G19 (off duty) iwb or owb?

Thanks

Back when I carried *yuck spit hack cough* Glocks daily I used Blade-Tech's IWB and scabbard holsters. I've always found Blade-Tech's IWBs to be very comfortable.

hp35
09-21-07, 22:30
I currently carry a 19 in a Blade-Tech IWB, but I am looking towards a Comp-Tac that I can tuck my shirt in with. I can't remember the model. I know someone knows the model and will chime in.

DRich
09-21-07, 22:36
For IWB, I carry a G19 in a Sparks Watch Six. For OWB, I use an Alessi CQC/S.

the1911fan
09-22-07, 01:09
Original Sparks Versa Max, Rosen OWB, and a IWB from Southern Holsters which is a helluva holster for the money and turnaround time. Also have a Kramer IWB.

RD62
09-22-07, 09:44
Sidearmor IWB. I have an older model that is no longer made. It spreads the clips out more like a versa max 2 or watch six fro milt sparks. As opposed to the one or two closely spaced clips on the body of the holster. I find that this helps spread the load and reduces the visible "lump" of the concealed pistol.

-RD62

M4Guru
09-22-07, 10:18
I don't like IWB, but I have a Blade-tech for my G19 if the need arises. Comp-Tac CTAC is the way to go if you like IWB. FWIW, I only use kydex holsters.

OWB I use a Blade-tech, but make sure if you use one you get regular belt loops. The Stingray loop that comes on newer ones SUCKS. Comp-Tac is good OWB too, I'd take either brand.

DocGKR
09-22-07, 11:43
For IWB--Sparks Heritage #1
For concealed belt--Alessi/Heinie DOJ

GLOCKMASTER
09-22-07, 12:23
For off duty carry, Kramer IWB #3 Horsehide for my G19.

markm
09-22-07, 12:52
Well I guess I'll add another completely different option....

I use the Galco COP 3-Slot for almost ALL my carry (G22 .. same size as the G17)

I sold off my IWB milt sparks since I found that the Galco really did everything well for me. It has 2 cants and holds the butt of the pistol high into my ribs... I prefer that for concealment and retention.

Bonk2029
09-22-07, 21:19
I carry a G22 every day at work.

Duty (uniform) use: Safariland 295 Level II.

Duty (wearing a suit) use: Gould & Goodrich 803.

Duty (plainclothes) use: BladeTech OWB.

Off-duty: BladeTech IWB.

Saint
09-23-07, 09:27
I carry a G19 in a Comptac Minotaur and I absolutely love this holster.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=535a65a7ea024d814e0e26cd76de78c8

Business_Casual
09-23-07, 12:09
Comp-Tac CTAC is the way to go if you like IWB.

I've used the CTAC daily for years. Very comfortable, conceals well and will hold a 19 or 17 without changes.

M_P

Akoni
09-23-07, 19:16
For IWB, I've never found anything quite as comfortable as a Sparks VMII. For my 19 I currently use a Sparks EX and it works well but have a VMII on order for the G.

I really haven't found any OWB holsters that conceals mid to large pistols as well as a good IWB holster under light clothing. That said, I like Kramer belt scabbards or the Alessi CQC for OWB if I need to consider concealment.

RAM Engineer
09-23-07, 21:48
I switched from IWB to OWB in recent years due to comfort issues, and uniformity in pants sizing.

I really like the CTAC Locking Paddles (and well designed paddle holsters in general). Blade Tech makes great holsters, but their paddles suck.

Evan_O
09-26-07, 03:32
Thank you all for the opinions and insight. I'm not sure what I will go with yet but this is more than enough to research. Thanks again!

Hawgleg44
09-26-07, 19:33
When I can, I carry OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.

In warmer weather, I currently use a Bianchi Model 100 leather holster, since it's just what I had laying around. It easily hides a G19/23 when wearing just shorts and an untucked tank top. I am looking into other options, probably some sort of kydex for an IWB holster.

Bushytale
09-27-07, 03:23
Hawgleg44, the Serpa locking system has been known to break and that makes it impossible to remove the gun without tools. :eek:

Billy

MX5
09-27-07, 11:30
G19 in Blade Tech IWB.

Hawgleg44
09-27-07, 11:57
Hawgleg44, the Serpa locking system has been known to break and that makes it impossible to remove the gun without tools. :eek:

Billy

That's the first I've ever heard of about this. I know of people who have been using them for a long time without any problems. I just started using them a few months ago.

Maybe it's time to put them up for sale or trade and go the Blade Tech route.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any internet posts or any articles on this happening? It seems that if it's a widespread problem, Blackhawk would be addressing it. Not being able to get your defensive handgun out of your holster definately sounds like a liability issue.

Jeff_M
09-27-07, 12:25
Kramer Horsehide #3 for a Glock 17. I carry both a 19 and a 17 in the same holster (at different time off course:).

I have yet to find an all leather holster that keeps shape and lasts as long as the Kramer's.

Some of the other leather holsters use metal inserts around the mouth to keep the shape. During weapons retention and CQC training (on the ground), these metal inserts may bend closing the mouth and rendering the holster useless.

Striker5
09-27-07, 13:35
Glock 17 in Milt Sparks SSII. I have a Blade-Tech IWB for my Browning hi-Power and they are excellent holsters as well.

hawgleg, there is a thread on 10-8 forums about the failings of the Serpa design.

Spurholder
09-27-07, 14:52
I'm not a huge fan (or anything near) of Galco, but I've had good success with one of their holsters.

I purchased a "Quick Slide" a few years ago for my G17. Since it's a bikini, it'll also fit a 34 or a 19. If the quality of their current products is still on par to how mine's constructed, I'd give it a try.

Hawgleg44
09-27-07, 15:55
I'm not a huge fan (or anything near) of Galco, but I've had good success with one of their holsters.

I purchased a "Quick Slide" a few years ago for my G17. Since it's a bikini, it'll also fit a 34 or a 19. If the quality of their current products is still on par to how mine's constructed, I'd give it a try.

I've used a Galco "Concealable" model for my G17's and 19 before. It hides the pistol very well and tucks the butt tight against your side. It's also only contoured on the front, so the leather against your body is flat for added comfort. It has a forward cant, which makes concealing a G17 very easy.

I used it during a barricade/no-light pistol class and also a carbine class with a lot of weapons transitioning and it worked very well.

I've just been going more and more the kydex way lately. I think Galco now has a kydex holster available, too, if I remember correctly. After hearing about the Serpa issue, I may just try one of theirs. For range use, I sometimes use some old Fobus holsters I have laying around, but I never wear them for anything else. They don't conceal anything well since they hold the pistol so far away from your body.

Linea_de_Fuego
09-27-07, 16:15
Anyone have comments about a holster line from Fist? They call this a #8 close cropped shortcut.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/8.jpg

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/NUMBER.htm

Dave G
09-29-07, 22:24
Evan,

I don't know if you prefer leather or kydex. I have had pretty good luck with Comptac belt holsters, and really like the pro-undercover.

When I owned a 1911, I had an Alex Nossar pancake. That was a super holster. I think I am going to order one for my M&P pretty quick.

http://www.nossargunleather.com/catalog.htm

Don Robison
09-29-07, 22:49
I'm carrying a G21SF in a High Noon Hideaway appendix carry. It's very comfortable, more so than my G17 in a Comptac Pro Undercover carried in the same position. The 5 month wait time can be a turn off, but IMHO it was worth the wait.

Edit: My everyday dress is WalMart cargo shorts, cheap t shirts and a wilderness frequent flyer belt.

uranus
09-30-07, 00:03
Anyone have comments about a holster line from Fist?

FIST makes very good holsters. They seem to be on a par with Rosen. The leather is not as thin as Alessi or Sparks. They also make an excellent belt. Their belts can be ordered with a nylon or plastic insert on the strong side or the entire length, which keeps the edge straight under the weight of a heavy handgun. They also offer an extensive range of colors. They do not seem as popular as Alessi, Sparks, et al, but I have never seen them advertise.

Trigger
09-30-07, 00:16
I have been pleased with Akers flatsider OWB hoslter for personal carry and I use an Aker nightsider for EP work since I use an m3 light attached. Aker is a decent holster and not to expensive. I also use a clipdraw with a plug-it trigger guard for my G36. I could carry my G36 with a t-shirt and shorts and you will never know I was carrying it.

graffex
09-30-07, 00:38
Anyone have any experience with Side Armour holsters? I'm thinking about getting there OWB holster for my Glock 17. Before I seen that I was going to go with the Blade-Tech OWB.

Linea_de_Fuego
09-30-07, 23:39
Anyone have any experience with Side Armour holsters? I'm thinking about getting there OWB holster for my Glock 17. Before I seen that I was going to go with the Blade-Tech OWB. I am very pleased with mine. I have the 1911 Modular OWB and use it at the range. It would not serve well as a concealment holster.

graffex
10-01-07, 13:51
I am very pleased with mine. I have the 1911 Modular OWB and use it at the range. It would not serve well as a concealment holster.

Thanks.

I'm just want it for range/general purpose use as well so concealment isn't an issue. I guess I'll probably pick up the side armor instead of the blade-tech when I get back to work.

davemm14
10-03-07, 07:21
G-19 IWB - CompTac CTAC

G-19 OWB - currently using a Mitch Rosen Premier from their Express Line, but I have an Alessi CQC-S on the way.

ChrisG19
10-03-07, 10:00
Milt Sparks EX (IWB) (http://www.miltsparks.com/EX.htm)
Rocketman Low Rider (IWB) (http://www.rmholsters.com/)
Rocketman Standard Paddle (OWB) (http://www.rmholsters.com/)

adh
10-03-07, 13:13
CompTac C-Tac IWB for G17

Linea_de_Fuego
10-05-07, 19:14
The predominant choice seems to be IWB kydex. Although they conceal well I too don't like IWB holsters, and I just ordered one from Kirkpatrick Leather that is a drop scabbard with forward cant like the Milt Sparks Legacy.

Evan_O
10-05-07, 23:40
Evan,

I don't know if you prefer leather or kydex. I have had pretty good luck with Comptac belt holsters, and really like the pro-undercover.

When I owned a 1911, I had an Alex Nossar pancake. That was a super holster. I think I am going to order one for my M&P pretty quick.

http://www.nossargunleather.com/catalog.htm

Thanks for the link Dave. Looks like some very nice leather! I have always used leather (Alessi) with my 1911's. For some reason it seemed more fitting to stick a Glock in kydex... That's just me though and I can't really say why either.

Thanks for all the opinions gentleman.

Jason Burton
10-08-07, 23:28
... I have always used leather (Alessi) with my 1911's. For some reason it seemed more fitting to stick a Glock in kydex...

I would say that as long as the holster design/pattern is available for and works with your Glock stick with a holster you're familiar with such as the Alessi you mention above, or something similar at least. No need to re-invent the wheel especially if you already have a holster that works for you and your mode/method of concealment. Some (most?) will agree that it's hard enough to find one concealment holster that works, wears, and conceals really well, let alone trying to find a couple of different rigs for a few different guns. If you've got a particular rig that you like for a one type of gun the odds are the same design is available for another make/model of gun and will likely work just as well.

Line Rider
10-10-07, 13:03
GL-19 in a Milt Spark SSII in plain old moo cow.

In twenty years of carrying a concealed weapon I have tried a lot of holster companies, and I have found Milt Sparks to be the best.

Canonshooter
10-15-07, 05:27
When I can, I carry OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.

Ditto, but I prefer the belt loop backer.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/g17c-5.jpg

Canonshooter
10-15-07, 05:35
hawgleg, there is a thread on 10-8 forums about the failings of the Serpa design.

Striker5, could not find the thread. Does it have to do with accidental discharges or something else?

Bushytale
10-16-07, 21:01
the Serpa thread on 10-8 is under the custom 1911 heading. It has to do with the release mechanism getting jammed up and/or breaking causing the gun to be held captive by the holster and useless.

:eek: Billy

graffex
10-16-07, 23:00
I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the SERPA as well... YMMV

Don Robison
10-16-07, 23:02
I like the non serpa holsters if I'm not real concerned with concealment. IMO they are a bit thick. I've got one for a G19 I use occasionally in the woods and at the range.

BSHNT2015
10-24-07, 10:06
For Glocks, Sigs and 1911.

http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/catalog/product_26_Glock_Modular_OWB.html

Canonshooter
10-24-07, 11:25
I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the SERPA as well... YMMV

I have heard of two issues with the SERPA (here is a thread of interest - http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-164512.html);

1. Accidental discharges upon drawing weapon
2. Release mechanism getting jammed with debris preventing the weapon from being released

After spending some time with the SERPA practicing the draw of a Glock 17, I have come to the conclusion that any AD is due entirely to incompetent gun handling. I'm not sure how anyone experienced with carrying a handgun goes from the slight pressure of a "straight out" finger required to manipulate the release mechanism to then placing the finger in the trigger guard and pulling through an entire trigger pull. See the following photo sequence;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/serpa-1.jpg
Photo 1 shows my hand as I get ready to grasp the weapon. The lock mechanism is clearly visible.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/serpa-2.jpg
Photo 2 shows my hand after it has established a grip and proper positioning. Note how my trigger finger is "out straight" and positioned over the release tab, which requires very little pressure to disengage. BTW, I have always placed my trigger finger in this position on the outside of the holster, regardless of holster used. I was trained that way.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/serpa-3.jpg
Photo 3 shows the weapon just short of "clearing leather" ready to arc forward and towards the target. The trigger finger remains in this position until the weapon is pointed towards the target. This is the way I have been trained, the way I always draw regardless of the holster used. So how does one go about shooting themselves when the weapon is in this position? The answer should be obvious.

In regards to the release mechanism getting jammed, I can see how that may happen if the holster is exposed to dirt by laying in sand, in combat, etc. But for normal civilian concealed carry use or for IDPA competition (the reason I purchased mine), it appears it will do just fine. BTW, if the mechanism does get jammed (the holster area in back of the release tab is open, leaving very little area for something to get caught), a small folding knife (always a good tool to carry) can be used to pry the left side of the plastic tab outwards to release the weapon. Yanking on the weapon until it tears off the holster strikes me as a "mechanically inept" way of dealing with the problem.

Failure2Stop
10-24-07, 17:43
Kydex for speed (competition) OWB-
Blade-Tech (Favorite-it's simple, sturdy, and the tec-loc isn't going anywhere without significant force)
Non-Serpa Blackhawk (Not as sturdy, belt loops kinda cheesy, paddle is so-so)

Leather for Concealment
Milt Sparks Versa-Max II. Nothing conceals and retains like broke-in leather. Not as fast as kydex, but the staff of Waldenbooks won't ping me when I reach down for the latest Macrame Monthly Magazine. I have tried a bunch. I now only own these. 1911, G23/19, or G17/22, they all hide perfectly. They also come out only when I want them to, and not with any undue effort. The reinforced mouth also makes reholstering much easier than cheaper offerings.

Never used anymore-

Blade-Tech IWB. I didn't like the thought of Glocks in leather at first, don't know why, guess I am materialist. This did not hide well, and was not at all sustainable daily. Driving anywhere was a pain in the back, literally.

Galco (various) OWB. Thought I would at least act like I was trying to realistically conceal my pistols for IDPA. They just fall so short of a decent kydex rig for competition that it wasn't worth it, and they fall way short of a VM2 for carry.

Some other thin Kydex/concelex OWB. Cracked and popped. Bye-bye.

Uncle-Mike's gun sock (or some such thing). Basically a folded-over piece of foam coated in velvetish stuff. Pretty fast out of the holster, but it did not keep the pistol in a good position, and during rapid draws had a tendency to catch between my thumb and pistol, resulting in my drawing the pistol with the sock still on, preventing trivial practices such as sight alignment and trigger access. I actually preferred to not use a holster at all than this thing.

YMMV

Canonshooter
10-24-07, 17:56
Thanks for the tip on the Milt Sparks Versa-Max II - it looks like a good rig.