PDA

View Full Version : Any DIY On a Glock 19 Frame Ding[er]?

CLHC
03-21-11, 01:36
Just curious to know if there's a remedy for the in[ding]tation I suddenly found on my Glock 19. I have no idea how this happened. Still wondering about now how in the world did this happen?

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/G19Dinger.jpg
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/G19Dinger_ii.jpg
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/G19Dinger_iii.jpg

Not that it affects any "functioning reliability" issues, but was wondering how to go about "fixing" it. Unless of course, I should just leave it as is because it adds character.

skyugo
03-21-11, 01:50
could probably smooth it out with a knife and file if it effects fitting a light on the frame rail.
maybe west systems epoxy with graphite filler? :confused: you're gonna have a hell of a time getting a good color match though....

Cesiumsponge
03-21-11, 01:51
You can try peening some of the displaced plastic back with a smaller hammer and various punches.

Theoretically you could use a soldering iron or woodburning tool with a flat chisel-type tip to reform the material. It would be tricky because the heated plastic tends to make gooey spiderwebs when you lift the heating tool (personal experience when stippling my Glock with a temperature-controlled soldering station), so you'd have to moderate it so the temp was just barely enough to melt the plastic, turn off the iron, apply it to the plastic in such a way to flow the material back where it should go, then lift off the tool when its cool enough that the plastic is solid to remove the tool.

If you use a knife or sandpaper or any other method, you're going to be removing material instead of pushing it around. Unless the ding is obstructing the rail interface, there isn't much you can do without a lot of headache. Make up a story behind it and claim it adds character.

Timbonez
03-21-11, 02:33
If it doesn't affect function or your holster setup, I say leave it alone.

Spiffums
03-21-11, 06:01
Chicks dig scars............. Mine took a header on the cement drive way getting it out of the car.

Oscar 319
03-21-11, 06:11
Note to self: Do not leave Glock 19 on the stove while cooking.

Vash1023
03-21-11, 07:37
i good precision file set from any hobby store will do the trick.

then a fine grain sandpaper

Kegger
03-21-11, 09:26
Two trains of thought here for me.

1. Use the soldering method explained above to make it pretty again.

or

2. Throw in down the driveway and give it some more scars to match.

YMMV

amd5007
03-21-11, 10:04
I would say leave it alone. I mean it's a Glock, it may be a newer Glock, but it still is a Glock.

JimmyB62
03-21-11, 12:39
It sure does look like it was exposed to a heat source. Maybe you were leaning up against something and didn't realize it. Mine was much worse after I came unglued from my motorcycle but I got it replaced.

I'd just remove what ever material interferes with the rail and move on. That's the beauty of the Glock to me. I'd cry if it was a nice 1911 or something.

Either way good luck:)

kerplode
03-21-11, 13:12
If it were mine, I'd probably just take an xacto or a file and trim off any plastic that's pushed into the rail slot and call it good.

If you break out the soldering iron there's a greater chance of making the situation worse.