PDA

View Full Version : Vltor .625 clamped Gas Block will not fit under 12" DD lite rail weight results

03-21-11, 05:15
Has anyone put a Vltor .625 "clamped" Gas Block on a Daniel Defense 14.5" mid lightweight CHF barrel under a DD 12" lite Rail? Just wondering how the set up works and what the weight is. Oh and the most important question will this gas block fit?

Mr. Goodtimes
03-21-11, 05:58
The gas block will fit. It will be pretty damn light. I would not, however, use a clamp on gas block in a serious rifle. If the rifle even may be used in a defensive role, it needs to be pinned. Rainier Arms charges about $25 to get it done. You could also just buy one of the DD barrels with their low profile gas block already pinned in place.

03-21-11, 13:38
Thanks for the reply above, I've read several post regarding fit under rail with the Vltor clamp on gas block and how it "does not" work under the DD lite rails. Just spoke to the Tech guys at DD. It appears the clamp on Vltor gasblock "will work just fine" under the DD lite rail.....
If anyone cares, I'll post on how it works and weight after total assembly. Vltor clamp .625 Gas block is in the mail from Midway today (got a set screw version as back up just in case). DD 12" lite rail, DD 14.5" CHF mid length lightweight barrel, BattleComp 1.5, Colt BCG FA, upper and lower receiver, Magpul MBUS front and rear and an Aimpoint H1 on a Larue riser. should be a pretty sweet rifle when its all done.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-21-11, 14:14
Why wouldn't you just get it pinned from the get go? Then you never have to worry about weather or not the screws are going to work loose. I had a YHM clamp on gas block that worked it's way loose in under 1k rounds.

03-21-11, 14:42
Yeah I tend not to like pinning things. I do regular inspections on my all my work guns. I have had clamped LPGB in the past without issue. I'll also put witness marks on the clamping bolts so I should be GTG.

jjw
03-23-11, 13:53
i have a 11.5" Daniel defense 11.5" bbl and a vltor small gas block under a v-tac by troy and a d.d. on a 14.5" bbl

all work fine. don't have anyone to pin it locally so i will just shoot it till it gos bad and send to adco in Toledo he does all my rifle work, i can get Lynn freshly to do

all is good

11.5" has about 3k on it and have not even cleaned it

good luck

03-24-11, 22:13
So I just got my .625 Vltor clamp on gas block in. Guess what, it does not fit thorough, under or in the 12" DD lite rail. Its a good thing I ordered a set screw one as back up....oh well.
So just to recap, don't listen to the Tech Guys from Daniel Defense. They apparently don't know what they're talking about regarding gas blocks.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-24-11, 22:15
So I just got my .625 Vltor clamp on gas block in. Guess what, it does not fit thorough, under or in the 12" DD lite rail. Its a good thing I ordered a set screw one as back up....oh well.
So just to recap, don't listen to the Tech Guys from Daniel Defense. They apparently don't know what they're talking about regarding gas blocks.

Before you bash the tech guys, I was thinking the set screw one for some reason. Maybe they were as well.

03-24-11, 22:43
Nope I was very specific when I called the DD Tech Department. The conversation went to the point where the tech guy I was speaking with related he had pulled a picture up on the internet of the Vltor clamp on gas block to confirm that it would fit and stated "It'll work just fine". I'm not bashing I'm just pissed that I spent $60 bucks on this GB, based on someone's advice that is supposedly and expert on this manufacturer's configuration. I mean its a DD barrel and lite rail for god-sake, it's not a combination of parts. That I could understand but not this, this is just bullshit. Well I guess in the end it's still my fault I should have done better research or just waited for who knows when for the DD gas blocks to get back in stock.

jjw
03-27-11, 20:00
may be i am wrong but Lt. Lynn freshly of Barberton Ohio is my "gun mechanic" and 1 of my best firnds friends.
i gave him the items u mention for the 2 guns i mentioned above. i just shoot them. i will ask him but i was sure that's what he assembled for me

oh well, will get back to you

sin loi !!!!