PDA

View Full Version : Need load date for Mil-Spec 5.56

Lawdog-1
09-22-07, 01:52
I plan on start loading Mil-Spec 55 gr. and 62 gr. and want get my own loads up Mil-Spec powerand speed like Federal and LakeCity power. What is the most common powder and primers to load with? I will be using a D550 press and shooting them thourgh a Colt LE6920 and a LMT 14.5"/16.1" , 1/7 twist uppers.

UVvis
09-22-07, 03:58
A good fall back load is something like H335 and CCI 450 primers. I'd start around 23.5 gr and work up till you get the velocities you are looking for. Which will probably be in the 25+ grain range.

The thing is, I generally find most 55 and 62 grain FMJ loads shoot better when they aren't as hot. For general use/blasting ammo it is just wearing your brass more, and burning just a little more powder.

nationwide
09-22-07, 09:17
The thing is, I generally find most 55 and 62 grain FMJ loads shoot better when they aren't as hot. For general use/blasting ammo it is just wearing your brass more, and burning just a little more powder.

Don't forget blown primers too ;)

taliv
09-22-07, 10:09
i can't attest to accuracy, but if you go to hi-techammo.com and scroll to the bottom of the page, they sell a booklet with the technical data for nearly all small arms ammo.

it's probably a LOT more detailed than you want to know, and good luck finding most of the powders they list. but hey, you asked for milspec :)

i definitely enjoyed reading it, but saw no real point in attempting to duplicate their loads. matching the published velocities so the BDC on my acog works is all i need.

PALADIN-hgwt
09-23-07, 14:18
xxxxx

toddackerman
09-25-07, 01:26
The main problem with attempting to get "mil spec" velocities when reloading is the lack of crimped in primer capability, as well as the higher pressures leaving you very, very little margin of error for things like the normal powder charge variation when dropping the charges. As mentioned already but worth repeating is that accuracy is often better when pressures are below maximum. Use milder reloads, and save the factory ammo for times when military velocities are truly needed.

I equate chamber pressure to an analogy of revving your truck engine. If you run at redline every day, it definitely will NOT last as long. Why beat up your weapon unneccesarily? Taken to an extreme are reloaders who load powder charges over the published maximums. No reasonable objective analysis would infer the gun would last longer under those conditions.

Paladin

+1

I use 27.2 Gns. of WW748 Ball Powder behind a 55 Gn. FMJBT with Cannelure. Very accurate, and not as hot as M193.

IMHO...All you really need for training is a load that cycles the weapon and has similar recoil as whatever your SHTF ammo has so you are use to the feel. YMMV

Tack

markm
10-12-07, 09:16

I completely agree.

I've found similar results as toddackerman. 27.0 gr of 748 avgs me right at 3200 fps. But I don't load that hot ever. Why put the wear and tear on your brass and weapon?

I run 26.5 gr which gets me around 3100 fps, and that is still hotter than I really need to be.

toddackerman
10-12-07, 09:31
I completely agree.

I've found similar results as toddackerman. 27.0 gr of 748 avgs me right at 3200 fps. But I don't load that hot ever. Why put the wear and tear on your brass and weapon?

I run 26.5 gr which gets me around 3100 fps, and that is still hotter than I really need to be.

I also agree with Demigod, and am going to start downloading a bit to 26.0 gns. of 748 Ball Powder. I'm sure it will still cycle the weapon, and I really only practice CQB with my carbine out to 50 yds, so i don't need to worry about "Bucking the Wind" at 200 to 399 yds. I also get one free round worth of powder for every 26 I shoot.

I've had so much brass laying around that I finally started measuring it to see if it needed to be Re-sized, Trimmed and deburred, (I'm really bad about this because I hate the process and can't afford a Dillon trimmer and vacuum right now)... and found a lot of flattened primers, and a few cases that wanted to separate in the middle on the next load after only 3 reloadings. I then knew I was on the borderline, and if they were being flattened, that the weapon was taking more than it needed as well. But man that load shoots!

I have 6,000 rounds of brass to process. Anyone want to help??? :)

Tack

markm
10-12-07, 10:21
26 grains will EASILY cycle a properly built AR. When I was working up my loads back in the day.... I started well below that, and never had a short stroke.

I think I may start running 26.0 grains too.

Kurt Reifert
10-12-07, 12:01
Do you guys really like WW748?
I tried it and didn't care for it at all.
Ramshot TAC gives me superior accuracy, it's a little cheaper (costs less per pound and I use less to get the same velocity) and burns cleaner.
If you haven't tried it, pick up a pound and see what you think.

markm
10-12-07, 12:07
Ramshot TAC gives me superior accuracy, it's a little cheaper (costs less per pound and I use less to get the same velocity) and burns cleaner.

I sold my chrono after I developed my loads, so I'm stuck with 748:D

748 is more than adequate for practice ammo. I've heard that it is a little dirtier than others, and that it is temperature sensitive. But it's been a great medium burn rate powder for me.

There might be better out there, but I've never had any issues with 748 that would lead me to bother looking. I'm coming from a practice ammo perspective, so if it holds 2-3 MOA, I'm fine with it.

Paulinski
10-12-07, 12:28
Has anybody tried using Vargent for 55 gr abd 62 gr load?

Paul

toddackerman
10-13-07, 00:55

Well...I have several groups that I have saved using WW748 that are .340MOA or BETTER. You probably just haven't found the sweet spot for 748 powder in your gun. It's one of the most widely used powders by the Bench Rest Fraternity. And yes...it is dirty. You indicated you wanted Mil. Spec. 5.56 load data. This is the powder WCC (Winchester Cartridge Company) uses for their Mil. 5.56.

That being said...Where can I get some Ramshot TAC? I'm interested in cheaper component alternatives for CQB training where I don't need accuracy, but cost savings.

Important...How does it flow through the powder measure??? As good as Ball Powder???

Thanks in advance!

Tack

Kurt Reifert
10-13-07, 09:44
TAC meters perfectly thru my Dillons and I also use it thru an RCBS powder drop.
By perfect I mean that it holds .01gr variation. It should save you some dough, give excellent accuracy and leave your rifle cleaner. Win/Win/Win

If your local reloading shop doesn't carry Ramshot powders you can get it from Powder Valley or Midway USA, but you really should support your local guy. (or he won't be local very long!)

Varget is a great powder for accurate .223, .308 and 30-06 but it does not meter very well. Most people that I know use it in match ammo and they trickle their charges or use a Lyman 1200 or similar.

You sold your chrono? Shame on you. ;-)

toddackerman
10-13-07, 10:15
Did some surfing last night, and checked my usual source, (Powder Valley) and the TAC is $10 less for 8 lbs than 748.

Given that it flows well and is 9% cheaper, and I'll use less...that's enough for me. I'll probably try a 1# before getting the 8#, but like i said, I just need it to go "Boom" every time, and cycle the action reliably.

What do you load for the 55 gn. bullet with TAC. I'll definitely get some load data from the factory which comes from Powder Valley with the order, but I was wanting to further calculate my savings. :)

BTW....there are no more "Local Guys" that handle reloading components any longer in the South Denver area. They've all been put out of business by the "Gander Mountains", "Sportsman's Warehouse", and "Bass Pro Shops". Still a few selling limited supplies of guns, (more like brokers) but no reloading components. A total of 7 well established (5 years or more, some > 20 years) gun shops have folded in the Denver Metro Area in the last 3 years.

Thanks for the advice!

Tack

Kurt Reifert
10-13-07, 10:38
I use 24 grains of TAC with a Remington 7 1/2 or CCI 400 primer in Lake City brass with a 55 gr fmj Hornady bullet.
Gives me about 3000fps thru a 20" pipe. I have not chronographed it thru a carbine, but I shoot them thru a 16" Stag all the time with no problem.

Rumor has it that TAC is the powder that Blackhills uses for their .223 loads.
I have not tried to confirm that.

Sorry to hear that your local small businessmen have bit the dust.
I run a small shop myself and I have no problem beating the big box store prices on components. The sheeple mentality is a strong draw to the big stores, but the guys behind the counter generally don't have much depth of knowledge.
I teach a beginners reloading class at my shop about once a month. It's a good way to cultivate new, loyal customers. With the price and scarcity of ammo, it's a good draw.

toddackerman
10-13-07, 10:40
I use 24 grains of TAC with a Remington 7 1/2 or CCI 400 primer in Lake City brass with a 55 gr fmj Hornady bullet.
Gives me about 3000fps thru a 20" pipe. I have not chronographed it thru a carbine, but I shoot them thru a 16" Stag all the time with no problem.

Rumor has it that TAC is the powder that Blackhills uses for their .223 loads.
I have not tried to confirm that.

Thanks!

Tack

markm
11-08-07, 12:38

I have a buddy who is selling me his TAC.... just under 8 lbs. I'll get a good amount to try out in a few weeks. He prefers different powder for his precision loads so he's giving me a good price on it.

Even if I go with 24.5 grains that would be 2 grains less per round than I'm using now for my 748 load. That could add up quick!

toddackerman
11-08-07, 14:09
I have a buddy who is selling me his TAC.... just under 8 lbs. I'll get a good amount to try out in a few weeks. He prefers different powder for his precision loads so he's giving me a good price on it.

Even if I go with 24.5 grains that would be 2 grains less per round than I'm using now for my 748 load. That could add up quick!

I went and re-did all my powder conversion/ cost tables after making the decision to go to TAC (after I burn up my WW748) and the saving is $.02 cents per round at 24 gns. of TAC versus 27.2 gns. of WW748 behind a 55 Gn. FMJBT w/c bullet.

I'll still use WW748 for my "Tactical Rifle Type Loads" because 44.5 gns. behind a .30 cal 168 gn. Sierra BTHP Match bullet is the cats meow in every .308 I have shot it from. The "Hunter Bench Rest" fraternity agrees. I have shot many sub .3 MOA groups from factory M700's with this load.

rdsii64
05-23-18, 23:35
I know this is an old thread, and the question was about "milspec" load data. With that said here goes anyway.
24.8 grains of TAC or 25.9 grains of AA2520 behind the Hornady 62 grain BTHP (midsouth shooters exclusive) in lake city brass will give your approximately 2950 FPS from a 20"barrel. I don't how much velocity you will loose in a 16 inch carbine. It cycles well, is very accurate, and doesn't beat up my guns.

Pappabear
05-24-18, 14:16
i can't attest to accuracy, but if you go to hi-techammo.com and scroll to the bottom of the page, they sell a booklet with the technical data for nearly all small arms ammo.

it's probably a LOT more detailed than you want to know, and good luck finding most of the powders they list. but hey, you asked for milspec :)

i definitely enjoyed reading it, but saw no real point in attempting to duplicate their loads. matching the published velocities so the BDC on my acog works is all i need.

That's a very smart plan. I've been know to zero my 100 yard target high so my 77 grain loads are spot on at 400-500-600 yards. Best to zero you 500 yard zero because you are not missing at 100. And you can know that DOPE too.

PB

jsbhike
05-24-18, 20:27
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/united_states_army_tm_43-0001-27%2520-%252029_april_1994.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjv677l2Z_bAhUEyFkKHVfjD5sQFjAAegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1G7cRR-hxftyd-fFr2dk2P

ubet
06-18-18, 17:34
11 years old, this has to be a record

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk