PDA

View Full Version : JP handguard installation-DPMS AP4

marshallwk
03-21-11, 10:27
Ok so I have a DPMS AP4. The front sight base is a pain to come off. Is it possible to shave it down and leave it on the barrel, then change out the free float it has now with a VTAC/JP handguard. Or will the installation of the new handguard require the gas block to be off? If so I will have a gunsmith complete the process as it is hard to get off the FSB and I do not want to mushroom out the set pins.

smschulz
03-22-11, 21:11
Unless it is a low profile gas block it has to come off.
It was a PITA on my CMMG ~ I had to drill the pins out.
Going back on is not so hard though.
Good Luck.

Robb Jensen
03-22-11, 21:26
The JP uses it's own barrel nut. The entire gas system must come off for installation.

marshallwk
03-24-11, 10:30
Thanks for the response. Looks like I will try heating the pins and punching them out and drilling if that doesn't work

MistWolf
03-24-11, 12:24
I'm told JP recommends red locktite when installing their handguard. Is it necessary?

Robb Jensen
03-24-11, 13:14
I'm told JP recommends red locktite when installing their handguard. Is it necessary?

Yes it's required to keep the threaded on flange from spinning when torquing the unique JP bbl nut.

3kids1gun
03-28-11, 20:36
In order to save yourself a bunch of grief why don't you just contact JP and ask them to do the job for you? I did and it turned out great I think it cost around $205 total.

MistWolf
03-29-11, 05:19
Wouldn't it work if the FSB were shaved, then simply unpin the gas tube and remove it? Isn't the gas tube installed after the barrel nut is tightened anyway?