PDA

View Full Version : Collapsible Stock: Federal Laws

dog guy
03-21-11, 10:43
I'm confused (which in itself is not unusual) by the following statement on Vltor's website:
"LEGAL NOTE: The Vltor Modstock system for AR type rifles can be used on some post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) configured firearms. The only Modstock system allowed on a post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) rifle is the Rifle Modstock and only when mounted to a Rifle Receiver Extension (Colt part# SP61574). The use of a Collapsible Stock Receiver Extension on a post-ban (1994 Crime Bill) rifle is strictly prohibited by federal law (Section 922 of title 18, United States Code)."
I thought that such restrictions went away when the AWB sunsetted. My question relates to Federal law only, not State restrictions. Is Vltor's warning still accurate? It makes no sense with the number of collapsibles being sold both OEM and aftermarket. I want to understand this before I change an old Bushmaster AWB era fixed stock lower to something more useful. Thanks in advance for any help.

markm
03-21-11, 10:53
There are no Federal restrictions.... Vltor's warning is outdated a few years.

rainbow5ive
03-21-11, 11:39
The only states that this still applies to are NY, NJ, CT, MA and CA.

The_War_Wagon
03-21-11, 11:46
The only states that this still applies to are NY, NJ, CT, MA and CA.

Yep - no black shoulder things that go up allowed! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo

arizonaranchman
03-21-11, 14:31
Collapsible stocks are OK in California

rainbow5ive
03-21-11, 14:42
I was under the impression that california considers them an "assault weapon" component.

arizonaranchman
03-21-11, 14:53
I was under the impression that california considers them an "assault weapon" component.

If it's a registered assault weapon that was registered before the grace period ended (around the year 2000) then it's ok to have any "evil looking" attributes such as flash suppressor, bayonet lug, collapsible stock, etc. Only certain AR's are on the law's Ban List and they're listed by maker/name brand - Colt, Bushmaster and Armalite are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. These listed guns have limitations as to where you can carry them, etc (to/from a range or sporting activity, to/from your home, etc). These guns can never be sold, traded, given, inherited, etc - once the registered owner passes, etc the gun must be sold out of state or destroyed.

Other AR's, such as a BCM, DD, etc are not specifically listed by name/maker in the Law's ban so are OK as long as they have a Bullet Button installed (it doesn't therefore have a "detachable magazine" because a "tool" is required to remove it) and have a magazine with no more than 10 rounds capacity. These "off list" guns with the BB and 10 rd magazine do not fit the description of an "assault weapon" under Calif law so therefore do not have to be formally registered as an Assault Weapon like the ones on the Ban List had to. The Off List guns can have any evil features also as long as they have the BB and 10 rd magazine...

BH321
03-21-11, 14:55
Looks like I was beaten to it.

rainbow5ive
03-21-11, 15:31
gotcha. The statement should then be:
The only states that this still AFFECTS are NY, NJ, CT, MA and CA.

Iraqgunz
03-21-11, 15:54
Thanks to everyone for clarification and answers.