PDA

View Full Version : JP Tactical Buffer Spring

magpul_556
03-21-11, 12:25
I just got a JP Buffer spring for my AR and I very impressed. I believe this is one of the cheapest upgrades for the AR platform that actually does what it is supposed to do without compromising reliability or breaking the bank.I am a common M4C lurker, but rarely post. I chose to post this because I have never seen this discussed and I feel it's a great product that everyone should be aware of.Here are the manufacturers specs:

Flat, wound steel music wire buffer spring delivers 7% more compression tension than factory spring for a longer operating lifespan, more reliable cycling, and eliminates the "raspy" noise so typical in rifle builds. Extensive factory testing concluded that the 7% increase resulted in a faster, more controllable recoil impulse and enabled the weapon to press into battery with more fouling present, which reduces failure problems. Outer-diameter ground and polished for smooth and quiet operation inside the buffer tube.

Does anyone have any complaints or concerns with this buffer spring? I put mine in today and was pleased to feel that extra tension as well as noticing that it truly does eliminate that raspy sound that commonly comes from within the buffer tube. I have this paired with the Battlecomp 2.0 aswell as a spiked st2 buffer. The group has proven to dramatically reduce recoil. Again not all due to the buffer spring but I believe it plays a part. Again any praise, problem or criticisms of this product would be appreciated. Thanks

markm
03-21-11, 16:15
I've never found the Colt Stainless spring to be lacking in any aspect. I made the mistake of trying an aftermarket action spring ONCE.

I won't do it again.... And don't get me started on the Spikes Buffer.

magpul_556
03-21-11, 16:23
Okay...so why do you feel that way?I'm no expert. Just looking to learn.

Packman73
03-21-11, 17:17
I don't know about JP buffer springs but I have their trigger springs and they improved my crappy DPMS trigger goup quite a bit; well the springs and some polishing to be exact.

magpul_556
03-21-11, 17:26
I've never owned a jp product, but I'm not going to knock it untill I try it. It is a very robust looking spring and seems to have alot of power. The only worry I have is that it will cause a FTF or FTE due to the increased spring tension. I'll run it for a thousand rds and see what happens before I'm fully convinced.

Nevermiss
03-21-11, 22:39
I have a CTR-02 and LRP-07 and have no issues.

I've thought about replacing the carbine buffer springs with the JP spring in a 6.8 and a 300 BLK upper I built just to compare function/recoil impulse and see if I can eliminate the grind and twang.

There are, however, some threads that raise concerns about using anything other that the standard carbine buffer spring and there are some good facts to support this concern.

BufordTJustice
03-22-11, 00:54
I'm confident that the JP flat-wire buffer spring is a good quality spring, though I do not own one.

I am, however, an owner of the original flat-wire buffer spring from David Tubbs (Flat-wire, Chrome Silicon) and have been very pleased with it. The Tubbs spring has been out for years. I have several buddies who use them (per my recommendation) and are very pleased with them as well. Each of them has just over 1K rds through their carbines.

I'm not saying anything bad about the JP spring, but if one is delving into an aftermarket buffer/action spring....it may make more sense to try a spring that is good for many thousands of compression cycles...not one made of SS that will be compromised in under 5k rds. Just my $.02