PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing Question

ntstambo2
03-21-11, 13:07
Let me preface this by saying that I'm completely new to this. I'm picking up my new AR (DD V3LW 16") tomorrow and plan on heading out to the range one day this week. I also picked up an Aimpoint sight. I just wanted to make sure that I understood how to zero my rifle and also get some advice from some of the more experienced folks here on what to spend my time doing to help me get accustomed to my gun.

I found this target in another thread on the board and had a couple of questions:
http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com/arfcom/100yardzerotarget.pdf

1) This might be a stupid question, but there are two targets on one page. Is this just to save paper or is there another purpose?

2) Using my irons first, I should aim right above line 3 at 25 yards, which will yield my 100 yard zero. Does this mean that at 100 yards, my POA and POI are the same? Is the next distance where POA and POI the same 50 and 225 yards?

3) What do they mean when they say (on the target), "Impact 1.5 “ Low @ 25 yds For 100 yd Zero (adjust impact to top of center circle for 50 yd Zero)?

4) After I sight my gun with the irons in, I should then perform the same exercise with my Aimpoint. Is there anything else I should do after this or just have fun?

Thanks for your help.

tfltackdriver
03-21-11, 13:56
Let me preface this by saying that I'm completely new to this. I'm picking up my new AR (DD V3LW 16") tomorrow and plan on heading out to the range one day this week. I also picked up an Aimpoint sight. I just wanted to make sure that I understood how to zero my rifle and also get some advice from some of the more experienced folks here on what to spend my time doing to help me get accustomed to my gun.

I found this target in another thread on the board and had a couple of questions:
http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com/arfcom/100yardzerotarget.pdf

1) This might be a stupid question, but there are two targets on one page. Is this just to save paper or is there another purpose?

2) Using my irons first, I should aim right above line 3 at 25 yards, which will yield my 100 yard zero. Does this mean that at 100 yards, my POA and POI are the same? Is the next distance where POA and POI the same 50 and 225 yards?

3) What do they mean when they say (on the target), "Impact 1.5 “ Low @ 25 yds For 100 yd Zero (adjust impact to top of center circle for 50 yd Zero)?

4) After I sight my gun with the irons in, I should then perform the same exercise with my Aimpoint. Is there anything else I should do after this or just have fun?

Thanks for your help.

For a 100 yard zero using this target posted at 25 yards, sight with your front sight even with the thick #3 line. Because your point of impact will be about 1.5 inches low with 55-62 grain bullets, they will fall in that little circle if you are on zero.

That will mean your point of aim and point of impact are the same at 100 yards. If you wanted to hit the center of a pumpkin at 100 yards, theoretically, you would split the pumpkin in half with your front sight.

If you wanted a 50-yard zero, you would follow these instructions, but instead of wanting to center your group in the middle of the circle, you'd adjust until they hit the top of the circle. Generally, IIRC, if you're hitting 1.2 inches low at 25 yards, you're on at 50.

I suggest searching here for various threads about zeroing at various ranges. There are many threads with ballistics charts that illustrate this.