PDA

View Full Version : BCM Charging Handle question/explanation

christcorp
03-21-11, 13:52
I am looking at getting a BCM gunfighter Mod-3 charging handle. I am a lefty, and that's not why I'm looking at it, but rather because it is supposedly better compared to an OEM when it comes to stress on the pin and the charging handle overall. (As a lefty, the military taught me to charge with my shooting hand. I like this method and am not going to change. So an ambi or lefty version isn't necessary).

My question however is: When charging with my left hand (Shooting hand), similar to how I would charge my AK with my right hand, (With the palm), there is a SIDE WAYS PRESSURE on a traditional charging handle. With the gunfighter mod-3, is this Side Ways Pressure still there between the charging handle and the upper receiver? Obviously, it's impossible to charge an AR15 with the palm, and have the charging handle go exactly straight back. Easy to do with the 2 finger pull; one on each side of the charging handle. But with the palm, it wants to push the charging handle. Is the Gunfighter Mod-3 better at this? Thanks. Mike....

Rmplstlskn
03-21-11, 14:04
but rather because it is supposedly better compared to an OEM when it comes to stress on the pin and the charging handle overall.

As one who has used a PRI Gas Buster CH for years, I originally thought it a whole lot of fuss over nothing, but a new carbine in the litter with a standard OEM CH really reminded me how uncomfortable and thin handled the OEM CH's really are. IMO, they suck...

So I picked up a BCM Gunfighter Mod3 CH locally and I am impressed. I see how the stress on the OEM CH, even on the GasBuster as well, is on the spring and little bitty roll pin. I also saw how BCM corrected this weakness and it makes sense. It works...

As for stopping side stress during charging, I do think it helps some by the design, but I wouldn't call it a miracle or anything...

I think it is a good upgrade... The Mod3 lever is just the right length and width I think...

Rmpl

marco.g
03-21-11, 14:06
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/13/bravo-company-gunfighter-charging-handle/#more-3907

Check this review out on military times that Stickman (member here) did on the Gunfighter CH. Could give you some insight behind the design.

jackblack73
03-21-11, 15:54
I have the Mod 4 with the slightly smaller handle, and I find it very easy to pull straight back with no side pressure. Because of the angle of the handle and texture, you can actually pull it back putting pressure on the left, instead of the right.

jonconsiglio
03-21-11, 17:10
I have the mod 4 on all my rifles. Whether I blade my hand or use the side of my index finger, it doesn't have nearly the side torque that a standard CH does. Since the latch on the gunfighter makes contact with the inside of the rear of the CH, most of the pressure is distributed more towards the center.

Now, and this is just for me with the mod 4, the latch has a slight curve to it, so when I hit the latch I don't have to put the pressure rearward and in, it's more straight to the rear or to the rear and out if that makes any sense. It's so simple to see, but for some reason I'm not putting it into text as well as I'd like.

My point is, with the mod 4 and I'm sure the mod 3, it's easy to use your bladed hand - side of palm - and not put any sideways torque on it.

Since the mod 3 is the largest, I'm sure it would be even easier to keep it in a straight line to the rear.

The Cat
03-21-11, 17:51
The Gunfighter definitely lives up to its hype. (maybe that means it's not hype anymore?)

For me personally, the Mod 4 latch is plenty big enough - anything bigger digs into my back like a plow.

christcorp
03-21-11, 19:00
Thanks for all the info. I just ordered one. Like I said, I'm a lefty but intend to use my left hand (Firing hand) just like I've been taught and have done for 30+ years. Glad to hear that it doesn't put so much pressure on the sides. Thanks again.

hotrodder636
09-11-11, 17:31
As has been said above, the new "pin" design allows the force to be applied more to the center of the body of CH, therefore minimizing the lateral torque applied to the length of the CH. I currently have the MOD 3 (large) and shows little to no "excessive" wear from single-handed charging. On a side note, I have ordered the Mid-size for my SR-15.

trinydex
09-11-11, 18:08
i'm a lefty, i like mine. i had problems with a normal charging handle before. tried all the remedies and extended latches like badger ordinance and the like... the bcm is the best i've tried so far.

theblackknight
09-11-11, 18:56
YES

the gunfighter dosent bind or twist like the standard does.

MistWolf
09-11-11, 21:22
I have the Mod 4. I can charge the rifle with my left or right hand with little trouble even with a scope mounted. There was some side pressure of the handle as I hauled it back, but that was a technique problem. With practice, I've learned to pull it back without applying so much side pressure while using my left hand.

When my Mod 4 was new, there was strange smell and it was grabby every time I cycled it. It seemed to come from the finish as it rubbed inside the upper. I just kept it lubed and working with it and the smell has since gone away and it slides much more smoothly

cop1211
09-14-11, 19:30
I'm a lefty and have 5 of the mod 3's. GTG.

markm
09-15-11, 09:01
The mod 3 is like a ****ing kick stand for your gun. I hate its size. Mod 4 is somewhat workable. But if I had the money to blow, I'd switch all my guns to the mod 5.

SWATcop556
09-15-11, 09:33
The mod 3 is like a ****ing kick stand for your gun. I hate its size. Mod 4 is somewhat workable. But if I had the money to blow, I'd switch all my guns to the mod 5.

Agreed. The only time I would use the Mod3 would be on a rifle that was equipped with a large scoped optic. The Mod4 is nice but on very rare occassions I have noticed that it has hung a bit on my PC and gear though it has not caused any serious issues. I think the Mod5 would be the best blend between the robust new design and the smaller latch.

Det-Sog
09-15-11, 15:24
Great... The site is not even back up for a day, then I read this thread and order a mod 5...

Saw a CH break at the range last week... Now I see the potential for this device. Thanks M4C.

Dave_M
09-15-11, 22:40
I find the Mod 3 almost unusable. Love the Mod 4's. I have one Mod 5 and it's good too but not good enough to replace my other Mod 4's with them.

The only rifle I have a gas buster on is my DMR-ish gun because of bigass scope it has on it.

Berd
09-16-11, 00:17
I rock the mod 5 on both of my rifles.

Because I was looking for a more durable charging handle (lefty who reaches over the top to charge) rather than a larger handle.

TriumphRat675
09-16-11, 10:54
Love the Mod 4's. I have one Mod 5 and it's good too but not good enough to replace my other Mod 4's with them.

Agree. To my mind, the Mod 5 solves minor snag and comfort issues the Mod 4 has, but the Mod 4 has a more positive action. Prefer the Mod 4 for that alone.

JVHooligan
09-16-11, 17:05
If life were fair and everything was right with the world, the BCM Gunfighter would be standard equipment on all AR-type rifles. Of course, that's only my opinion.

I've equiped my rifles with Mod. 4's and will continue to do so.

John

Doc Safari
09-16-11, 17:18
I have mixed feelings about the BCM Gunfighter. I have the medium latch version installed currently. I switch back and forth between it and the small latch. Both snag on gear more than I'd like. I certainly see the utility of being able to charge the weapon with your left hand quickly while maintaining your right hand on the pistol grip, but I'd love to have a solution to the snagging problem.

bakercountyboy
09-16-11, 18:52
i run a mod4. i find it to be the perfect size.

YVK
09-16-11, 19:44
Never had a problem with Mod 3, although I have a long-standing habit to rotate rifle with ejection port towards my body when rifle is freely slung.

556Cliff
09-17-11, 18:28
The Gunfighter is not a forged aluminum handle, how is it less likely to break at the stem than a forged Colt CH?

I do think the latch part is better.

BCmJUnKie
09-17-11, 18:36
Lol ya wait till you pinch the shit out of your hand by "palming" it.

It sucks man. I almost NEVER wear gloves, it gets me all the time.

I think Im building up a callus in that spot hahah

Hmac
09-17-11, 21:01

Fixed it. Took me about 15 seconds with a bench grinder and some aluma-black.

http://mccollister.info/bcmch.jpg

TehLlama
09-17-11, 21:30
As a lefty, you have the ability to run a larger CH lever than many righties, simply because it will tend to catch on certain chest rigs or armor carriage setups in some cases (for me, it's getting in and out of vehicles).
Beyond that, they are just an incremental improvement, I like the Mod4's the best, but the majority of mine are Mod5's for the above reason. Anything with a somewhat large tube optic gets the Mod4 or Mod3, to aid in malfunction clearances (anything other than IAD those get in the way with my paws).

MistWolf
09-18-11, 04:32

I hear ya about the pinching, but the more I use it, the less pinching I get. I don't even think about it anymore

krgwag
09-18-11, 20:05
I used a mod4 in an instructor class and it would always un-latch during trasition drills from catching on my PC. Just ordered a mod5, hope it's better.

SteadyUp
09-19-11, 01:27
I originally used the Mod 3 on all my guns, but, as others have said, it is friggin' huge! I've stepped down to the Mod 4 on all guns except my SPR-ish gun. I'm thinking about trying the Mod 5, but the Mod 4 works for me, so why mess with a good thing?

markm
09-19-11, 11:32
I used a mod4 in an instructor class and it would always un-latch during trasition drills from catching on my PC. Just ordered a mod5, hope it's better.

You'll like the Mod 5.

I originally used the Mod 3 on all my guns, but, as others have said, it is friggin' huge! I've stepped down to the Mod 4 on all guns except my SPR-ish gun. I'm thinking about trying the Mod 5, but the Mod 4 works for me, so why mess with a good thing?

You wouldn't like the Mod 5.

johnpuga1982
09-19-11, 20:30
...but a new carbine in the litter with a standard OEM CH really reminded me how uncomfortable and thin handled the OEM CH's really are. IMO, they suck...

Today we did PRI (preliminary marksmanship instruction) and I forgot how much the OEM charging handling on the Colt M4 sucked. That thing was tiny. BCM GUNFIGHTER charging handles all the way!

Grease Monkey
09-20-11, 12:45
I have mixed feelings about the BCM Gunfighter. I have the medium latch version installed currently. I switch back and forth between it and the small latch. Both snag on gear more than I'd like. I certainly see the utility of being able to charge the weapon with your left hand quickly while maintaining your right hand on the pistol grip, but I'd love to have a solution to the snagging problem.

If you run a single point sling, rotate the rifle clockwise when transitioning to your secondary with your reaction hand. If you use another sling (2pt or 3)... not sure but, that may still work depending on your setup.