PDA

View Full Version : Any reservists out there?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-21-11, 13:54
Well, Im coming up on the end of my 4 years in the Corps. I dont want to do my MOS anymore, and I miss home like crazy, but I'd still like to contribute to my country. There is a reserve station about an hour or two away from my house in Colorado and I'm seriously considering taking a lat move and doing 4 years out there. Is there anybody on M4C that has done the transition from active to reserve, and if so how did you like it? Are there any reservists on here (any branch) that reccomend that lifestyle over being active duty?

Thanks guys.

Littlelebowski
03-21-11, 14:12
Why not lat move and stay active?

PlatoCATM
03-21-11, 15:10
While I have never been AD for more than a deployment, training, or TDY, from what I have seen of AD I have been glad to be in a reserve component. It is quite a bit more relaxed for starters, but never at the expense of the mission. Everyone still pulls their weight, there is just less needless bullshit like making sure your socks are the right height. It's nice not to have to move every few years, but you still have the choice that if you want to move, more than likely you can find another guard/reserve unit in the vicinity of your new location. One drawback, though, is the fact that you may hit a promotional wall and have to wait for someone to retire or die. Just know that ops tempo will not necessarily decrease because it's a reserve unit.

Caeser25
03-21-11, 18:05
One drawback, though, is the fact that you may hit a promotional wall and have to wait for someone to retire or die. Just know that ops tempo will not necessarily decrease because it's a reserve unit.

As well as people waiting in line for a promotion via the buddy system wether they can pass a pt test or not, qualify with their rifle or not etc. etc.

You can volunteer for as many deployments as you want if that's your thing. I know guys that have done 3 and 4 almost back to back deployments. 1st with my battalion 2004, 2nd brigade 2nd half of 2005, then the 56th Srtyker brigade within our division 2007ish, and just got back from Afghanistan 2 months ago.

Low Drag
03-21-11, 20:27
Well, Im coming up on the end of my 4 years in the Corps. I dont want to do my MOS anymore, and I miss home like crazy, but I'd still like to contribute to my country. There is a reserve station about an hour or two away from my house in Colorado and I'm seriously considering taking a lat move and doing 4 years out there. Is there anybody on M4C that has done the transition from active to reserve, and if so how did you like it? Are there any reservists on here (any branch) that reccomend that lifestyle over being active duty?

Thanks guys.

I did the active to reserve thing. I joined the Corps in 1980 (0341), reenlisted in 1984 and changed MOS to 2818. Hated being a comm tech.
Got out in 1988 after realizing I needed some college and joined a rifle company in the reserves. I Co 3/25 in Buffalo, NY. We did some great training, we were a ski mobile grunt company. I did 2 trips to Norway in winter and plenty of time in the cold in the US and Canada. It was very intense doing this as well as doing college and work - both full time.
I had a very difficult transition to the reserves. The active I/I staff at the reserve center think they have more going on as an 0100 MOS than a grunt like me sporting a CAR with a star from Grenada and Beirut.
If you can be patient and not kick the shit out of some the ass hats with the I/I staff you’ll be OK. The only advantage you may have now is so many reserve and active Marines have seen combat in Iraq or Afghanistan.
By the way, I’m in the Denver area and I think there is a Marine reserve unit on Buckley. They used to be an arty battery but think they’ve lost their guns and act as a security or rifle company. I’m sure you can look them up.

PlatoCATM
03-21-11, 20:40
[QUOTE=Caeser25;946167]As well as people waiting in line for a promotion via the buddy system wether they can pass a pt test or not, qualify with their rifle or not etc. etc.
/QUOTE]

The good ol' boy system may still be around in some units, but it seems to be better now than when I got in. I think the frequent deployments and mixing with AD has something to do with that. The upside to the good ol' boy system is that it means you've been serving with the same people for so long, training for years and years together. Of course, if you have dirtbags in your unit that's another issue.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-21-11, 21:27
Be careful man. I was in the same boat as you in 2003 decided to switch to the reserves. I ended up back on active duty 6 months later. In the 5 years I stayed in the reserves 4 were as an activated reservist. Im not bitching as I loved every second but I just dont want you to think your realy leaving active duty.

There are positives and negatives to both. On the one hand girls will talk to you again on the other it sucks leaving them behind when you have to go.

Jon

cop1211
03-22-11, 03:31
Re-enlist stay active duty, change mos if thats what you want.

MeanRider
03-24-11, 13:22
I went from USMC active duty grunt to being out for a year deciding to get into the USMCR as an MP. Now I have been there the last 5 years. It is what you make of it. My unit has deployed nonstop since the wars began, some have 3 deployments under their belt. So the level of expertise is far better than what it was 10 years ago. The hardest thing is to balance the work life with it. If you have a flexible job that will allow you to attend schools when they come or take additional orders it is a good deal because when it is done you get to go back home and not have to put up with the 24/7 B.S. But at the same time it can be frustrating to get rolling only to have to pull pin because the weekend is over. If you can handle staying Active do it. But if not the Reserves can be a great place to spend some years.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-24-11, 14:42
Damn, there is some great advice in here on both sides of the ball, and some serious experience to boot. I have no desire to continue my MOS. I was originally an 0331, but after a hearing related injury I was reclassed to an 01 job. Ive deployed with them on a Westpac and its been alot of fun, but the desire to continue it just isnt there. If I stay active a lat move is out of the question as my Pg11 already had one in it. The reserves or simply EAS'ing are about my only options.

I hated being a grunt, I wont lie. When I went POG it was like a gift from God, no more 240's, no more constant police calls, no more forced humps and closed promotions. As an 01, I went to MWTC, Viper, MOUT, Westpac, Helo Donker, etc. etc, but I still had time to go to college, go home early, and spend time with my family. Im in a position now where I miss the rough life and would like to go Motor T or something along those lines. Im just confused and need some clarity I guess.

Thanks for the info guys, Ive got alot of choices to weigh now.

Littlelebowski
03-24-11, 14:47
You lat moved from 03 to 01?! Damn, I thought people only joked about it.

Dude, look at the Comm MOSs. You get a clearance, real world training that translates directly into fluffing up the ol' civvie resume, and you will deploy.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-24-11, 14:50
You lat moved from 03 to 01?! Damn, I thought people only joked about it.

Dude, look at the Comm MOSs. You get a clearance, real world training that translates directly into fluffing up the ol' civvie resume, and you will deploy.

Lol yup, there are plenty of us but most sit in the S3 messing up scores. I have a rare 01 job that is hard to admit too. It involves mail, thats all I want to say haha. I'll never miss the 03 life, but I do miss the braggadocio that come with it.

Comm is certainly in my sights, but with a hearing aide Im not sure if I'll be cleared to do it. I have a Secret clearance, so Im sure I can get a TS, and I have a 117 GT so the schools should be able to accept me. We'll see if Im medically cleared for such a job.

Littlelebowski
03-24-11, 14:52
I know what your job is.

Look at Comm. Your hearing won't matter if you look at the sexy shit like satcom.

If you can find a niche, you can skate in the grunts. I was FAPPed over to Force and Bn Recon as an MCIWS. Great job.

MeanRider
03-24-11, 16:22
Mailroom. I had a buddy do that very thing and went to Hawaii to do it. But I would also look into Intel 0200 field. lots of oppurtunities and you get your TS clearance. If I had to do my career all over again I would have listened to my Grunt recruiter and gone Intel.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-24-11, 16:32
I pushed my brother inlaw to intel for his commision he loves it. My roomate at ABN school was a satcom guy assigned to recon not a bad gig so he said.

Low Drag
03-24-11, 19:04
Don't discount going to college and get your BS. As a former 0341 and 0369 the stuff you lean as a grunt small unit leader translates directly to most business situations.

A 21 year old Marine NCO is expected to plan, communicate and execute a plan with a team. That's stuff that civilians twice his age can't do.

Operations/patrol planning is project mgmt.

cop1211
03-25-11, 00:47
Comm would be a very good choice, I was a 2531 field radio operator.

The good thing with being comm is you can get with every type of unit there is. From a line grunt unit to tanks, arty, fssg, a base unit whatever.

I did my first 3 years with the grunts, and getting a "base gig" was everyones dream. When I went to Okinawa my last year I went to comm company and got fapped to the MARS station, totally pogueish.
Realized I missed the grunt stuff.:D

I hated it, tried to go back to comm company but the gunny wouldnt sign off. Because he was a prick:sarcastic: