PDA

View Full Version : Reece Vs HBar?

jbsmwd
03-21-11, 15:29
What are the difference between the HBar and Reece in reguards to the profile and material?

And where did the HBar come from?

Don't they both do the same thing?

Please leave out who makes what better/worse. Just looking for facts and information on the two profiles.

PS. search did not come up a definitive answer

chadbag
03-21-11, 15:37
What are the difference between the HBar and Reece in reguards to the profile and material?

Do you mean RECCE ?

Kyohte
03-21-11, 15:49
Searching for a reece barrel would explain why nothing came up. It is recce ("recky"). They are not similar. Search again.

markm
03-21-11, 15:53
Recce is SO last season. A Tier 1 Operator wouldn't be seen with one of those this year!

Kyohte
03-21-11, 17:15
Recce is SO last season. A Tier 1 Operator wouldn't be seen with one of those this year!

Thin is in.

Call me old-fashioned, but I'm attached to my Noveske N4 light Recce.

To the OP, there is no set definition of a recce rifle. The barrel of the rifle is usually a 16 inch with a type of medium contour.

Wiki states that the seal recce rifles have a heavy profile, but most barrels I have seen (Noveske, BCM) appear closer to medium contour.

seb5
03-21-11, 18:10
Wiki states that the seal recce rifles have a heavy profile, but most barrels I have seen (Noveske, BCM) appear closer to medium contour.

I'll bet it says SEAL. Seals live in the harbor and Seaworld.;)

markm
03-21-11, 19:21
Call me old-fashioned, but I'm attached to my Noveske N4 light Recce.

Good for you. I was just joking and pointing out how AR setups have become more like a friggin fashion show that a real need.

I have no need for thin barrels either!!

carbinero
03-22-11, 13:52
Dunno, if I was shooting Terminators, I'd want Reece to have my back.

hikeeba
03-23-11, 11:30

And where did the HBar come from?

Don't they both do the same thing?

AR15barrels.com has a chart showing their different barrel profiles. That should give you a rough idea of the difference between the two profiles: http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

I don't know where the HBar came from. It was probably conceived by Colt, but don't quote me on that.

Do they both do the same thing? I'd say not really. HBar typically refers to a barrel profile; and an HBar AR-15 barrel is an HBar AR-15 barrel, regardless of length. RECCE is a concept of accurized but still easy-to-manuever M4-type, or 16" rifle. Because it is a concept, specs of RECCE barrels - including profile, chamber, material, and twist rate - may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but all pretty much stick to the 16" length.

In my opinion, both are heavy. But the implications/implementations of the RECCE can be 'heavy, man.'

'If you're going to point a RECCE at someone, you better be ready to pull the trigger.' -Marcus Wright

Kyohte
03-23-11, 12:05
I'll add that materials will vary from make to make, also. Just like any barrel it can be 4150, 4140, stainless, etc.

carbinero
03-23-11, 12:45
'If you're going to point a RECCE at someone, you better be ready to pull the trigger.' -Marcus Wright

I like that! But seriously, with the weight tending toward the center, in my normal usage I don't feel like a Noveske N4 (recce) feels that much different from a BCM lightweight...unless I had to swing it around in a multi-thousand round class, I suppose. What makes a rifle feel and handle slower is weight at the end...a point against the gov't profile. So a 9.5 lb 16" LMT 308 will handle quicker than a 9.5 lb 26" Rem 700.

Wish I had a suppressor so I could speak to the handling characteristics of that! :cool:

Kyohte
03-23-11, 17:21
I've shot an N4 light recce supressed. As with any gun, the supressor makes it nose heavy. It wasn't that bad though.