PDA

View Full Version : Notching a receiver extension?

ready
03-21-11, 18:54
Some of my rifles have a notch cut into the receiver extension to allow more engagement of the detent for the buffer. I have a milspec receiver extension from BCM that has no notch and is just barely keeping the detent in. If I screw it in one more rotation, it's too much. Should I notch it?

Belmont31R
03-21-11, 18:57
No. As long as the detent can't pop out it doesnt matter. The only trouble Ive had with this type of tube is when you go to tighten the castle nut it can take the tube with it so once the castle nut is tight the tube is sitting at a severe off angle from where its supposed to be. Even when using the proper lube on the castle nut. I prefer the Colt and LMT style where the tab will catch on the detent, and prevent the tube from rotating with the castle nut when tightening it down.

ready
03-21-11, 19:06
Yeah, I saw where the threads on the extension got a little chewed up from torquing the castle nut on. I used some moly lube I had left over from the last camshaft replacement I did. :D

markm
03-21-11, 19:19
I've never seen an RE with this notch. Who is making these things?

Belmont31R
03-21-11, 19:22
I've never seen an RE with this notch. Who is making these things?

He's talking about the little tab that goes over the buffer detent/spring.

Iraqgunz
03-21-11, 19:23
Why in the name of Odin does everyone want to reinvent the wheel? Leave it alone, use the tube as it was meant and install it properly.

markm
03-21-11, 19:26
He's talking about the little tab that goes over the buffer detent/spring.

I know exactly what he means. I'm wondering what company is making them this way.

And +1 to leaving the RE alone. It's in spec.

ready
03-21-11, 19:54
The RE is from an old DPMS. Probably around 10 years old or so.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm not an armorer but I've built a half dozen trouble free AR's. Just curious to know if this notch was SOP for an RE in my situation or if DPMS just made them that way.

The DPMS was my first AR and the only one I have with a commercial tube. All the rest I built on my own and used BCM tubes.

Eric D.
03-21-11, 21:15
This explains everything.

The RE is from an old DPMS.

markm
03-22-11, 08:25
Not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm not an armorer but I've built a half dozen trouble free AR's.

Forgive the harsh reaction... but I just linked a thread from BarfTard where a guy threaded the RE in to the lower an extra rotation and then used a bench grinder to remove material so the upper would close on it. It's kind of a fresh "WTF?" topic in our minds.

Indeed.

.45fmjoe
03-22-11, 10:03

Haha yup.

ready
03-22-11, 18:15
Forgive the harsh reaction... but I just linked a thread from BarfTard where a guy threaded the RE in to the lower an extra rotation and then used a bench grinder to remove material so the upper would close on it. It's kind of a fresh "WTF?" topic in our minds.

Indeed.

No worries. I've hit the "send" button on a few replies that I wish I could take back myself. Emails are like bullets...

Iraqgunz
03-22-11, 18:27
I think this thing has run its' course.

scottryan
03-22-11, 18:27
The RE is from an old DPMS.

Then you need to get rid of it and get a quality tube.