PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 Sights and other questions.

Razorhunter
03-21-11, 20:07
Here are a few questions I'd like to get answered.

1. Are most of you guys using the +P ammo in 9mm for defense/carry? Are there any issues with +P in the M&P?

2. What might be the reason that S&W used a 4.25" long bbl in the "midsize" M&P9, but they used only a 4" bbl in the M&P45 midsize?

3. In regards to sights for the M&P, does anyone have rear/shooters view pics of the following sights on an M&P9?
-Warren two dots
-Heine Ledge two dot/straight 8's
-10-8 rear sight with any front sight.
-Hell, any M&P sight pics would be nice.

4. What is required to install most of these sights on an M&P pistol other than the M&P sight tool? I mean, are most of these sights made for the dovetail notch that's already milled in the M&P slide, or is more machining required for any of the above mentioned sights?

5. Finally, what are the reasons that some of you guys prefer different/varying height aftermarket sights/sight posts?
Is this just to get up over a suppressor, or are there other non suppressor reasons (ie - changing your POI?)
Thanks for the help guys.

kartoffel
03-21-11, 22:31
1. No issues. Just don't run a soft competition spring if you're shooting +P!

2. Quarter of an inch difference isn't much. They're different guns, so I wouldn't expect them to be exactly 100% the same.

3. For carry, I like regular 3 dot night sights. For competition, the same, or a fiber front / U notch rear.

4. Not sure what you mean by sight tool. Apex includes a little plastic dovetail insert that gives you a 3rd hand to keep the striker block from going flying. If by sight tool you mean a sight pusher, they're helpful but not required. The only sight pusher I would recommend is the one from Marlyand Gun Works (MGW). Stay away from "universal" pushers. Alternatively, you can drift the sight out with a brass punch if you're careful. No slide machining required, unless you're custom fitting a small red dot. You may need to stone the bottom of a new sight to fit it, but if you're not comfortable doing that you're better off taking it to a smith.

5. Well, if I recall correctly the factory front sights are different height for the Pro and 9L. Somebody help me out here, I don't know if the compact has a different sight height vs. the regular ones.

mkmckinley
03-21-11, 22:46
My experience pretty much reflects what Kartoffel stated (nice post btw). I've used my MGW tool for installation on two M&P's. I love the Ameriglo Pro Glos and the fronts needed no no fitting. The Hackathorn rears required me to stone them a little. I would say you can do it yourself if you have some experience working with metal and tools. I'm not sure I'd attempt it without a sight pusher, personally.

I've shot about 5,000 of my own reloads through the fullsize with no problems. I load them pretty close to max. Not sure if they're at +P levels but they aren't WWB mousefart loads either. I've also shot a couple boxes of 124gr Winchester Ranger and five or six boxes of NATO spec ammo with no issues.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about my M&P's. I've even sold quite a few of my other pistols and concentrated on that platform.

dirksterg30
03-22-11, 07:34
1. For defensive ammo, I use Speer 147gr. standard pressure. Range ammo is usually WWB or Federal 115gr. FMJ

2. Not sure

3. see below

4. It was easier for me to send the slides to David Bowie for sight installation; I don't have access to a sight pusher. I doubt very much that aftermarket night sights would require any machining; at worst, the sight base might need a few passes on a file if it is too tight to fit into the dovetail.

5. N/A to me

Sight pictures:

Ameriglo Operators (front green/rear yellow) on an M&P9c:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/M%20and%20Ps/MP9cwithAmerigloOperators.jpg

Warren Tactical 3-dots on an M&P9FS (front sight painted fluorescent orange):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/M%20and%20Ps/WarrenTacticalMP9FS.jpg