PDA

View Full Version : First Belt Setup

matchstick
03-21-11, 21:50
Hey guys, just getting into setting up a belt to train with, and I guess to use in a SHTF situation. I am fairly new to the AR game so I'm not exactly sure what I will want/need, but I think I have at least an initial idea so I started shopping.

I was going back and forth between a vest/chest rig and a belt, but after running a few dry fire drills I think the motion that best suits me would be a belt setup.

I made this somewhat on the cheaper end of the spectrum because like I said its my first setup, and if I don't like it I don't want to be stuck with $100's of dollars in equipment. I know I could sell some of it off, but meh.

Here's the list:
Condor Rigger's Belt - $27.55
Condor Battle Belt - $14.95
Condor Triple Kangaroo Mag Pouch - $20.95
Condor GLOCK Holster - $16.95

Grand Total: $80.40

I figure this will give me a good feel for what I like and don't like, and I can adjust from there. From what I have read as well the Condor pouches are pretty good quality, and so if I switch to a vest I can keep using the ones I like.

Anyways, I would love to have some input and suggestions from M4C because I know the knowledge base here is substantial.

WILDMAN442
03-21-11, 22:38
I have a condor war belt set up and I love it.

Does everything I need it to do.

Justin

Steve S.
03-21-11, 23:07
I greatly prefer running everything off a belt instead of a vest - but that's just my $0.02.

I do know some people who use both and use the vest to backfeed their first line belts. It helps for classes and situations where more mags are required between breaks. I usually just tuck a few mags in my back pockets though.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n585/PersonalSecurity/DSC02583.jpg

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n585/PersonalSecurity/DSC02589.jpg

aflin
03-22-11, 09:46
I was thinking about running HGSI Taco's on a war belt. That way I can run both AK and AR mags.

Steve S- What kind of loops are you using to attach those kydex pouches with?

kdcgrohl
03-22-11, 09:55

and how secure are they?

Moose-Knuckle
03-22-11, 19:22
Condor and Voodoo Tactical are inexpensive for a reason. They are intended for airsoft not real world use.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22031

Steve S.
03-22-11, 21:49

Something we've been prototyping for awhile. It's our IWB soft loop modified to be attached for OWB carry.

and how secure are they?

There's a reason they aren't for sale - even after months of testing. I'm not convinced on their durability yet. We've already started testing different materials, and when a MOLLE attachment is requested - we still ship Kydex strips. But we are looking for something that allows an easier attachment.

The "revised" version of the soft loop is a bit different, and now has a hole drilled through, riveted, and screwed to the face of the mag carrier at the top rivet point. That way if the snap were to come undone - the screw would still secure the gear.

The snaps aren't a big worry though. They are very secure. It's the actual material rubbing against the kydex and the sharp webbing that worries me. It's already started to show some wear.

What I did with that particular rig when doing anything "serious" was tie some paracord at any free eyelets and secure it to the webbing of the belt. That way if the prototype showed a weak point - the gear was still secured. I would remove the paracord after - so that full stress was back on the soft loops for testing.

Again, I'm not sold on these yet. It's the reason they aren't for sale. I feel like we can come out with something better for addressing MOLLE attachment. Until then, Kydex strips until we find something better. I've got a few things that are panning out nicely. I'll post pics as soon as anything develops.

Thanks for your interest, guys.

prc77
03-23-11, 08:43
I use a 5.11 instructor belt, also a CR speed belt