PDA

View Full Version : Smith Vortex Installation

No Bananas
03-21-11, 22:21
Got a Vortex en route. I've read that it self tightens and that no washers are needed. All you need to do is tighten it firmly (no washers). Take it out to the range...shoot ten rounds and it's good to go. Correct?

Belmont31R
03-21-11, 22:22
Yep...

alpha.kilo
03-21-11, 23:39
A little anti seize compound would also be a good idea.

wetidlerjr
03-22-11, 04:39
A little anti seize compound would also be a good idea.

Good advice ! :D

No Bananas
03-22-11, 10:01
Any anti-sieze compound recommended?

wahoo95
03-22-11, 10:27
Any anti-sieze compound recommended?

Sure, whatever you can find that's labeled "anti-sieze"

Best/Cheapest place to look is your local autoparts store. They typically sell small sample sized packages at the counter which is more than you'll ever need.

No Bananas
03-22-11, 21:08
Apply sparingly?

wetidlerjr
03-22-11, 21:35
Apply sparingly?

It doesn't take much. I have used a good quality grease on mine and have never had trouble removing them.
:dirol:

mattmcg
03-22-11, 23:55
If you really want to use a thread locker, use just a very small drop of Rocksett. About as strong as blue Loctite but is ceramic based and very strong under intense heat.

That said, I've used my Vortex without thread locker and have had no issues.

Leonidas24
03-23-11, 01:20
If you really want to use a thread locker, use just a very small drop of Rocksett. About as strong as blue Loctite but is ceramic based and very strong under intense heat.

That said, I've used my Vortex without thread locker and have had no issues.

Anti-seize, not thread locker.

I've been using GMD since I read the TM.

Amicus
03-23-11, 08:13
I generally just use a tiny bit of wheel bearing grease as an anti-seizing compound; just enough to lube the threads.

indawire
03-23-11, 12:08
Just a VERY thin coatof Anti Seize (aka Never Sneeze) :laugh: on the threads is all you need, my Vortex has been on for a decade now, I'll pop it on and off now and then to try it on something else. No particular brand, my 4oz can is 20 years old and only half gone, lasts forever. Any auto parts store (get the free sample tube sometimes)