PDA

View Full Version : looks like i'm moving to upstate SC...

lethal dose
03-22-11, 00:12
... and I'm scared. Excited... but scared. I'm going to be leaving the life I've always known in rural Ohio (my comfort zone). Not sure what to expect... I've had the same job for 11 years, I'm happily married, live on massive amounts of land, have multiple shooting ranges on my property, make all the noise I want (when I want), etc. I'm going to be moving to a nice DEVELOPMENT in SUBURBIA. Did I say I'm scared? I just don't think Ohio has a lot to offer. The unemployment is out of control and the weather is worse nowhere. I have to leave my beautiful dogs and the most hardcore group of friends behind. I'm totally being taken out of my comfort zone to better my and my wife's lives... not to mention... all my family lives down there. My cousin owns an ambulance service and is going to hire me... still looking for work for the wife (b.a. in humanities, 4.0, etc.)... anything would do for now. Anybody from upstate? Any good places for a smart girl to work? Let's do some ridin' and shootin' when I arrive.

Avenger29
03-25-11, 21:33
Welcome to SC. May I ask where in the upstate (general location, nearest decent sized city gives us a better idea). I'm near Greenwood, which is about an hour or so south of Greenville, Spartanburg, or Anderson. We've got a decent amount of members upstate, and members across the State. You'll love SC. You will be decently close to the mountains and only a few hour's drive from the beach...and there is never a State Park too far away (gotta plug 'em, I work for 'em :D). Unfortunately, you are going to experience our downside...a really hot and humid summer...but it's bearable.

You'll find ranges...the DNR and Forest Service outdoor ranges tend to be very basic. Some indoor ranges in the larger cities

I don't know about a job for your wife. There are always standard retail and restaurant jobs, of course, but I know how those tend to really suck. There's other stuff, too, just have to look around, there's niche stuff around that can be pretty cool.

lethal dose
03-26-11, 00:29
Greenville. Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm not bad at hosting classes, so I hope to gain access to a good range so I can get some of the pros in. I would LOVE to work for the parks... always been a dream of mine. When I arrive, we'll have to meet up and squeeze some triggers. Looks like April 18 is the big day.

TD0808
03-26-11, 06:41
I don't regret moving North to South at all. No snow is worth the hot summer.

I'm in the Atlanta area and would consider driving out for training classes where a basic skill level is acceptable.

Scoby
04-01-11, 23:07
lethal dose

Hate to hear you've got to move from what sounds like and ideal environment, minus the economic aspect, to suburbia. A man's gotta do what he's got to do for himself and his family.

All is not lost however. SC is a great place to live. If you like to hunt we have deer (long season), turkey (opened today), hogs (bastards), doves, some ducks and coyetes (bastards too). Fishing too. Not to mention good folks. If you can get in with like minded people, oportunities for areas to shoot and get away from it all are numerous.

I'm an hour south of Greenvile so give me a holler sometime after you get settled in.

Wecome to the freshwater coast and best of luck!

Scoby