PDA

View Full Version : Trouble deciding on patrol rifle red dot

toasterlocker
03-22-11, 03:32
I'm finally going to a rifle school so I can carry my AR at work. I would like to get a red dot before the school, but there are so many choices available, I'm having trouble narrowing things down. My department issues EOTechs to SWAT guys, but mere patrol guys such as myself have to provide our own optics (and rifles, in most cases.) I had been considering an EOTech XPS, but I'm not so sure after browsing here and seeing the consensus says Aimpoint is the way to go. Problem is I have no idea which Aimpoint would best suit my needs.

Here are some criteria that might help you all figure out what would be best for me.

-Realistically, I don't see myself ever shooting this thing past 100 yards. The department range isn't even big enough to shoot past 100. This will be primarily a CQB gun (think building searches, school/active shooter response, etc.)

-No need for night vision compatibility. Having it certainly wouldn't hurt, but I don't think I'll ever need it either. I'm not spending the money to buy my own NV gear unless it gets much cheaper. I don't see my department ever issuing it either.

-I'm not sure if it matters, but I wear glasses, a pretty weak prescription for nearsightedness.

-I would prefer to keep the cost under $500, and I have no objections to buying used. The $500 isn't a limit... I could see myself going higher if someone could tell me why a certain model would be worth the extra money for my needs. That said, I think I've found an okay deal on a used Aimpoint CompM2 for just a little over $300 if that would be a good choice.

So, any thoughts?

Ak44
03-22-11, 03:44
I really liked my Comp M4S but I almost prefer the T1 now....You could get a H-1 (non NV) for $600 with a larue mount...

cop1211
03-22-11, 03:45
The M2 would be fine as well as an H1, or the new Pro model.

toasterlocker
03-22-11, 03:48
A specific question I have... Obviously the smaller models have a lighter weight advantage, is there any advantage the larger models have other than a generally lower price?

cop1211
03-22-11, 03:57
I had a couple of the T1's I traded/sold them for the M4s, I just liked the 30mm objective better especially in unconventional positions and I liked the 2moa dot size better, ymmv.

Belmont31R
03-22-11, 04:07
A specific question I have... Obviously the smaller models have a lighter weight advantage, is there any advantage the larger models have other than a generally lower price?

You get a slightly larger FOV but its kind of irrelevent considering its supposed to be shot both eyes open. Where it helps is your eye doesn't need to be so close to the center line of the gun to see the dot.

Still I prefer the T1 due to the small size and weight. I've never really had any trouble seeing the dot.

Ak44
03-22-11, 04:09
One thing I really love about having the M4S is the use of the AA. Which reminds me I need to go to Radio Shack to go find a battery for my T1 as the local supermarket doesn't have the specific one.

Belmont31R
03-22-11, 04:12
One thing I really love about having the M4S is the use of the AA. Which reminds me I need to go to Radio Shack to go find a battery for my T1 as the local supermarket doesn't have the specific one.

Ive found them in the pharmacy area for the hearing aide batteries. Otherwise, for me, Walgreens, Home Depot and Ace Hardware have them within 5 minutes of me. I have a pile of them, and keep several stashed away in different spots.

cop1211
03-22-11, 04:19
The choose of an optic is very subjective to the user. I think the best idea would be to go to your local fun store and check out the models your interested in for a first hand "view".

Ak44
03-22-11, 04:25
Definitely being able to have some hands on time with an optic is ideal. Hopefully you know buddies with different ones, because running a course or having some range time can change a mind about optics. I know it did for me.

Belmont thanks for the heads up...I'll check the Pharmacy section next time...

kmrtnsn
03-22-11, 10:39
As a guy who runs an Eotech 552 on his work rifle because that is the way it is configured I recommend you take a good look at the Aimpoint Pro package. Don't worry about lens size, it isn't about looking through the tube like shooting a scope, it is about seeing the dot with both eyes open and superimposing the dot on the target, after a while of shooting a red-dot you'll stop cleaning the glass because it just doesn't matter.

Hmac
03-22-11, 11:04
If you're paying out of pocket, you should really consider the Aimpoint Pro. At $400, it sounds like great bargain. Not much in the way of user reports, but it's apparently old and proven technology. The actual purchase process has been a little muddled, but it currently appears that they're OK for agency purchase. Contact SKD Tactical or maybe G&R Tactical about that.

From a cost standpoint, next best choice might be an Eotech XPS series, or better yet an OPMOD at $495 (no-NV version of EXPS3). Downside there might be battery life, depending on your needs and application, if 500 hour battery life and 8 hour auto-off doesn't work for you.

The T-1 is a nice optic, but you may find that 20mm is a small tube for picking up the red dot quickly.

toasterlocker
03-22-11, 17:08
The choose of an optic is very subjective to the user. I think the best idea would be to go to your local fun store and check out the models your interested in for a first hand "view".

Seeing as how I live three hours away from Phoenix and everyone I know has EOTechs, I don't see that happening, which is precisely why I posted here. Thanks anyway though.:)

toasterlocker
03-22-11, 17:10
If you're paying out of pocket, you should really consider the Aimpoint Pro. At $400, it sounds like great bargain.

Could have sworn I read somewhere that wasn't available for individual officer purchase... I'll look into it.

PRTrooper
03-22-11, 17:17
That should be a consideration when choosing an optic. Some optics will not allow a rifle to fit into certain mounts with the optic in place. As far as shooting at 100 yards, good luck with target ID at those distances, especially in reduced light. You may be better off starting with a weapon light first and continue to research an optic for addition later. :)

toasterlocker
03-22-11, 18:14
Already set in the light department. Thanks.

hearno
03-22-11, 21:11
Our patrol guys get iron sights but our SWAT rifles get Eotechs. I have a 512 for work and a 551 for my personal weapon. I have never had an issue with them and I prefer them over anything with magnification for my uses. I've shot 6inch plates at 85 yards with no issues. I like the XPS but I just didn't have the money to get a new one. I change the batteries every 6 months at most and don't worry about them going down. I keep spares but neither sight sees enough use to burn them up that quickly.

Dfarmer786
03-23-11, 06:16
I WAS running an eotech 512 on my patrol rifle until the projector lens came loose rattling around in the optic at the range ( never dropped w/ 400 rounds on it) so I sent it back and got it fixed and sold it. I now run an H1 and it's awesome I never worry about the battery and its always ready. If u don't want a micro get the aimpoint pro and never look back. And for the record the eotech was great and I liked the reticle and 1moa dot but if that lens came loose on the side of the road or during a search warrant id be screwed.

czydj
03-23-11, 07:10
DD has a lightweight, tall mount for the Aimpoint Micro's if you don't need to worry about taking the sight off frequently. Market price is around $65.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=AP-MICRO

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Aimpoint-Micro-Mount-TALL-p/dd%2015003.htm

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=736329&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics%20-%20Scope%20Rings%2C%20Bases%2C%20Mounting%20%26%20Accessories-_-PriceCompListing-_-736329

Midway shows them in stock...

stifled
03-23-11, 07:25
rob_s started a survey yesterday. Member Survey: Which Red Dot Sight (& mount) do you use and why? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77116) It's getting to have quite a bit of good information in it. You can at least read some reasons why people chose what they use over the other options available.