PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 70 repro vs Colt 1911 XSE with "enhanced tolerances"

Swatieson
03-22-11, 11:53
Hello,

I've finally discarded the SW1911 and decided for the Colt.

Now I would like to understand the "enhanced tolerances" statement advertised with the XSE. "Enhanced" compared to what? To a 70 series repro?

What does it practically means? And the more complex question, why is the XSE cheaper than the 70 series if it is supposed to be an "improved" 1911?

Regards.

turdbocharged
03-22-11, 12:22
I am not certain but I think the series 70 repro is more expensive because it actually comes from the "custom shop". Mine came in the old style Colt blue cardboard box. Whether they actually put any more attention to it or not I am uncertain.

Timbonez
03-22-11, 12:49
I am not certain but I think the series 70 repro is more expensive because it actually comes from the "custom shop". Mine came in the old style Colt blue cardboard box. Whether they actually put any more attention to it or not I am uncertain.

This is true. The S70 repros come from the custom shop, so they have a little more hands on care.

Swatieson
03-22-11, 15:43
Can the short trigger be replaced by a long one?

Is there any proper solution to install better sights without cutting the slide?

Artos
03-22-11, 17:53
Can the short trigger be replaced by a long one?

Is there any proper solution to install better sights without cutting the slide?

I am under the opinion that you take that pistol and let the sperts turn it in to what you want/need or leave it alone and enjoy it.

1911's are like AR's...barbie dolls for boys. Dress her up like you want but make sure you or the tailor is qualified for the work needed. Sewing a button back on a shirt is not like letting out the suit/pants of the portly fellow.

SoulLessGinger
03-24-11, 11:32
Someone must have forgotten to "enhance" the tolerances on my XSE. It's sloppy as hell.

If I had it to do over again, I would have just got the Series 70 and customized it myself.

Also I agree with the above poster. I do all my own work on my guns, but trigger mods are tricky on 1911's...and unless you have a mill sitting around in the garage, you're not gonna be installing new sights either.

wetidlerjr
03-25-11, 03:25
There are various rear sights that will fit the Colt dovetail on the S70 re-pros and that will work with the stock front. Brownells has more than one. Triggers, of course can be replaced without much problem. Both of those changes can make it much more user friendly.
As for the XSE series, I haven't found mine to be "sloppy" in the least but YMMV.
:D

Ttwwaack
03-26-11, 13:17
From what I understand, Colt has revamped all of its machining to state of the art CNC. Although the XSE that I looked at 6 weeks ago was tighter than my old issued 1911 in the service, it is still loose in comparison with known tight pistols i.e. Kimber, Baer or custom. As far as the tolerances between the two, I believe they are all made with the same components (slides and frames) minus the obvious series 80 cuts and features beyond plain GI Joe Government issue.

I couldn't see a manufacturer with updated equipment turning out series 70 frames the old school way that they did during that period of production.

As far as sights on a series 70 Repo, I can not recall if that was the standard narrow or thin almost invisible front sight or the updated wider .125 front sight. Either way, replacements are available and a wide tennon can be filed narrower to fit the small tennons on pre series 70 ect slides. Another option would be the crimp on Millet sights for up front. For the rear I would go with the 10-8 NM rear sight. It is the same basic profile of the standard rear Colt sight although it is taller and has a wider notch. Sewveral manufacturers make other sights that can fit the standard Colt dovetail (See Brownells Web Sight) but they all look like an after though and ruin the lines. Greg

wetidlerjr
03-26-11, 15:45
...Although the XSE that I looked at 6 weeks ago was tighter than my old issued 1911 in the service, it is still loose in comparison with known tight pistols i.e. Kimber, Baer or custom....

Being tighter does not always translate into better accuracy. Bushing /barrel fit can do more to noticeably (in most cases) make a difference. I am NOT a 1911 'smith so I am not saying closer tolerances in the frame/slide area is bad in any way. YMMV

As far as sights on a series 70 Repo, I can not recall if that was the standard narrow or thin almost invisible front sight or the updated wider .125 front sight... Greg

The new "Series 70" uses the larger sights.