PDA

View Full Version : Pic Request: BBL Burr marks on Brass

HeliPilot
03-22-11, 13:35
I'm not having this issue with my rifle but I saw a guy shooting this weekend who was, or thinks he was. I was just wondering if any of yall had any pictures of the marks a barrel burr would make on a brass case for my future reference. Thanks

markm
03-22-11, 13:53
Not enough info here. Are we talking about an M4 style rifle? I've seen guns that dent the case wall, and guns that put a burr on the case rim....

I'm not sure what you're asking about.

HeliPilot
03-22-11, 16:12
Yea sorry I guess I was a little vague. I would like to see any pictures of spent brass that was affected in some way by a burr in the barrel after being shot from an AR style rifle.

tog
03-22-11, 16:38
Yea sorry I guess I was a little vague. I would like to see any pictures of spent brass that was affected in some way by a burr in the barrel after being shot from an AR style rifle.

I don't think a burr in the barrel would have any effect on the spent brass. Now maybe if there were a burr in the chamber...
tog

HeliPilot
03-22-11, 17:54
Haha, ok yea its been a long day, third time's a charm right. Ok so what I would like to see if there are any, is pictures of spent brass fired in an AR style rifle that has a burr in the CHAMBER. Thanks-

markm
03-22-11, 19:51
I've never seen an AR with a burr in the chamber. :confused:

Usually the brass deflector dings brass or something.

P2000
03-22-11, 23:26
Do you mean barrel extension? A barrel extension can scratch brass. Two long scratches on the spent brass.

HeliPilot
03-23-11, 08:01
Ok so here's why I'm asking. I was at the range this past weekend and a guy down the row from me was shooting a doublestar AR in 7.62x39. It seemed to be running fine for him at first but then it quit ejecting. I was watching him shoot and it didn't even seem that the BCG was moving as he shot. It took quite a bit of muscle to charge the rifle and eject the spent case. The extractor was fine, the rim of the brass was fine, but there were two scratches down the length of his spent brass. He was convinced that he had a burr in the chamber that was keeping the brass from ejecting. I've never seen a burr in a chamber of an AR nor do I know the symptoms. Thoughts??

Thomas M-4
03-23-11, 08:07
That sounds like it's from the barrel extension its normal.

markm
03-23-11, 09:02
Agreed. His problem is elsewhere.