PDA

View Full Version : Hardigg Storm (Pelican) iM3100 hard case review

kaltesherz
03-22-11, 16:18
My old man just moved to Nevada and wanted me to come out and visit, so he "motivated" me a little more by finding a nearby public range that goes out to 300m (or so he claims). I needed a hard case to fly with my AR and Glock, so I did a little research and everything pointed me to Hardigg. Pelican just bought them, but luckily kept their line-up the same- in fact the shipping box and instructions had no mention of Pelican anywhere, the only thing labeled "Pelican" is the case itself. My AR is a 14.5 w/ perm attach FH and the iM3100 seemed to fit my needs as I wanted the smallest possible case for ease of transport and wanted to keep it on the lighter side. I found a good deal on one with shipping via ebay and a week later it showed up at my door.

I was immediately impressed with how well built it was and how smooth and easily the latches opened yet remained secure when closed. It also has two folding carrying handles, so you can carry it horizontally or pull it using built-in rollers.

I bought an electric carving knife, used a piece of chalk to outline weapons / mags / etc and went to work. It was easy and quick, but isn't as easy on the eyes as it was my first time and I'm not exactly an artist. I only cut the first layer of foam (there's two large primary layers of foam, and then a thin layer on the bottom) to try it out and found that despite all the crap on the left side of my weapon (BFG Redi-Mod, Surefire tac light, Gunfighter Charging handle, and DD QD swivel) it fit really well. I made sure I cut the foam so that my weapons could be transported with their bolts / slide locked to the rear so that they can be verified unloaded without taking them out of the case. I'm not a big fan of attention, and I'd like to avoid having to pull a carbine out of a case at a busy check-in counter at the airport. I cut some space around them for mags and then at the bottom a large space for ammo, cleaning kit, or a mixture of both. I also decided to cut the second layer in that spot to double the space available. After everything was cut and checked out to be up to my standards (I don't want to hear any more comments about fat checks...) I used a spray adhesive to glue the foam down.

After the interior was finished I decided to add a little urban camo to the outside of the case. As I already mentioned I'm not a fan of attention, I'd like to not carry a case in public that screams "gun", so I tried to disguise it as a case for a keyboard. Luckily I had a metric shit ton of old band and other random stickers I've collected over the years and decided to throw those on. Other than the 101st and Lightfighter sticker, I kept it all non-weapon or military related.
Here's some pics:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/019-4.jpg
14.5 AR, Glock 19, 8 30-round AR mags, 3 Glock mags (two G17 and one G19), and 12 20-round boxes of Brown Bear
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/021-2.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/022-3.jpg
Showing extra layer of foam cut for the ammo / cleaning kit area
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/024-3.jpg
Urban camo

MookNW
04-10-11, 00:46
Nice breakdown. When flying, did you use 2 or 4 padlocks? Would 2 locks on the outside holes be sufficient?

Packman73
04-10-11, 00:55
Sweet case. I had a i3200 but I sold it with the rifle to fund a LWRC...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/RRA_with_Storm_case.jpg (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/141886/cat/500)

kaltesherz
04-10-11, 00:58
Nice breakdown. When flying, did you use 2 or 4 padlocks? Would 2 locks on the outside holes be sufficient?

Yep, just used 2 padlocks on the outside holes. I ended up having 2 layovers on the way over and it's pretty obvious it was tossed around a bit and held up great. Awesome case.

kmrtnsn
04-10-11, 15:30
I have two Storm case and prefer the latches and the handles over their Pelican cousin's, however, I wish Storm would incorporate the Pelican case's stainless steel reinforcements around the locking eyes.

PPGMD
04-10-11, 15:30
Ok this is a pet peeve of mine. The so called camouflage.

I have one of these cases, 3100 black no stickers beat to hell, want to know what most people ask me at the airport? Snowboarding, or skateboarding (no I don't look like someone in either of those two crowds). Like many things we get all concerned about these cases don't scream gun, except to people in the know.

And if you are going to camouflage it, shouldn't it be something that is worthless when fenced? A keyboard can bring in a few bucks. Make a fake logo, put "Trade Show Display," or something just as worthless, but fragile.

kaltesherz
04-10-11, 15:44
Ok this is a pet peeve of mine. The so called camouflage.

I have one of these cases, 3100 black no stickers beat to hell, want to know what most people ask me at the airport? Snowboarding, or skateboarding (no I don't look like someone in either of those two crowds). Like many things we get all concerned about these cases don't scream gun, except to people in the know.

And if you are going to camouflage it, shouldn't it be something that is worthless when fenced? A keyboard can bring in a few bucks. Make a fake logo, put "Trade Show Display," or something just as worthless, but fragile.

I have a bunch of tattoos and usually rock Chuck-T's, so the "band" thing works for me. My main thing was just not to scream "gun", I live in a fairly liberal neighborhood and just want to avoid attention. Snowboards and other sporting items also are worth a bit of cash, so that's not much of a diversion... but the trade show idea is a good one...

randyha
04-14-11, 11:54
The locks will always give it away. Anyone in the system will immediately know that the only thing allowed to be locked w/o TSA accessible locks has firearms on it. If you really want it looked after, insure it through the airline. Be prepared to go early to the airport. Most agents, even very senior ones, don't even know they can do this.

Ryo
04-18-11, 01:23
Question about the 3100 lock hold diameters.. Can you measure the diameter of the hole for me? Thanks

kaltesherz
04-18-11, 01:38
Question about the 3100 lock hold diameters.. Can you measure the diameter of the hole for me? Thanks

I don't have the means of accurately measuring, but looks to be slightly less than 1/2 an inch. Any standard lock would work.

Surf
04-18-11, 01:46
I have a few of each and I like the Storm / Hardigg cases well enough. But I will just say that if I am going to fly or if the cases are going to get some potential abuse, my expensive weapons / optics are going in a Pelican hands down.

arizonaranchman
05-24-11, 19:58
I also have the same case the OP speaks of (the iM3100) and it's an outstanding case. It's built to withstand some severe punishment and is allegedly submursible (to how deep I don't know, but it can take a plunge into a river or lake I assume) and will bob to the surface if free. I've been really impressed with mine just as the OP describes it's got some great features. It weighs 20 pounds as it comes out of the box with nothing in it but the foam layering, so it's a handful for sure.

I used a Sharpie marker and a sharp serrated folding knife to cut out the shape of the rifle and slots for magazines.

I give this case a 10 out of 10 rating for those interested.