PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill 5002 TJ

oldsmoboat
03-22-11, 17:06
Anyone use the Yankee Hill 5002 TJ?
I like the smoothness of it but can't tell if it has heat shields inside.
http://www.pkfirearms.com/Free_Float_Tubes/18/c

Mr. Goodtimes
03-22-11, 17:53
YHM isn't usually well regarded around here. Their stuff is budget minded and the quality generally reflects. I've been unimpressed with the YHM rails I have seen in the past.

ChicagoTex
03-22-11, 21:45
From the pic, it is quite clear that it does not have heat shields (not that any metal railed forend I've ever seen does).

And yes, if having rails in spec is a priority for you, you should look beyond YHM.

Iraqgunz
03-22-11, 23:00
It appears that they are still using the same mounting sytem, which is mediocre at best. I dealt with these rails in Iraq and trust me you don't want them on your AR.

kwelz
03-22-11, 23:43
It appears that they are still using the same mounting sytem, which is mediocre at best. I dealt with these rails in Iraq and trust me you don't want them on your AR.

Good god man. Did they let you use any good equipment?

Iraqgunz
03-23-11, 03:28
Absolutely- Bushmaster Tier 1 carbines w/ YHM rails and Eotech model 552's. Did I mention the awesome PVS-14 clones that were milspec?

I was really bummed when I had to carry my unreliable Tier 2 Glock 19 pistol. I had been hoping for something better. :rolleyes:

Good god man. Did they let you use any good equipment?

JasonM
03-23-11, 10:12
From the pic, it is quite clear that it does not have heat shields (not that any metal railed forend I've ever seen does).

And yes, if having rails in spec is a priority for you, you should look beyond YHM.

The knight's rails have heat shields.
That said, most rail users use rail covers where they hold so heat shields aren't necessary.

LMTRocks
03-23-11, 10:28
The model you show has anti-rotation screws on the 3 and 9 o'clock sides which thread directly into the barrel nut. The only way that forearm is coming off is if you manage to twist the barrel nut off the rifle and the gas tube as well. The older models of YHM did not have screws at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and were awful. The newest models, after 2008 I believe, have the screws and work fine. I have a Specter forearm on one of my rifles and the barrel nut is torqued to between 50 and 60 ft-lbs and through all of the use I've run that gun th forearm has stayed extremely solid. It will not be the lightest forearm you use, but make sure you put good torque on the barrel nut, just don't go gorilla on it.

chadbag
03-23-11, 10:41
The biggest problem with YHM rails is that they are heavy for what they are. I sold them for a short time (but sold a lot of them) and never had one complaint about the 1913 rails not being in spec or anything (that that can happen and others here seem to have had that issue). I stopped getting in new stuff from them when I decided to only sell top tier stuff.

Biggest downside is the weight is usually higher than a comparable rail from elsewhere.

Iraqgunz
03-23-11, 15:52
Wait until you put that cheesy wrench on that locking ring to remove it and it starts to chew it up.

The model you show has anti-rotation screws on the 3 and 9 o'clock sides which thread directly into the barrel nut. The only way that forearm is coming off is if you manage to twist the barrel nut off the rifle and the gas tube as well. The older models of YHM did not have screws at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and were awful. The newest models, after 2008 I believe, have the screws and work fine. I have a Specter forearm on one of my rifles and the barrel nut is torqued to between 50 and 60 ft-lbs and through all of the use I've run that gun th forearm has stayed extremely solid. It will not be the lightest forearm you use, but make sure you put good torque on the barrel nut, just don't go gorilla on it.

oldsmoboat
03-23-11, 17:46
Thanks for the education/input.

ChicagoTex
03-23-11, 17:49
The knight's rails have heat shields.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up, didn't know. That explains why they're a tad heavier than similar DD rails.