PDA

View Full Version : LCP trigger job?

Blue Ridge
03-22-11, 18:01
Hey folks. I'm in the market for a micro pistol. I was leaning towards a Kahr P380, Diamondback, or Ruger LCP. I really like everything about the Ruger except the trigger -which I hate more than the Brady Campaign. There's a local gunsmith who does alterations to triggers, and the feedback on SR9c's have been excellent, though I haven't shot one that's been tweaked. How much can really be done? Would it even be possible to convert that to DA/SA? My favorite trigger system on a handgun (so far) is the P99AS, I'd pay an awful lot to get something similar in a mouse gun. A lot of folks on other forums say these little guns are for pocket carry/SD and not made to be range guns. I appreciate that, but I want to practice with any gun I'm going to be carrying. And this will hopefully be my summertime CCW. Thanks in advance, and if there's a front-pocket concealable gun I'm overlooking, I'm definitely open to that. I'd prefer to stay under $600 or so, and caliber is secondary to ease of concealment. If someone can convince me that Rohrbaughs, Seecamps, etc. are *that* superior, I suppose I could put my AR on the back burner and invest though.

dirksterg30
03-22-11, 18:18
My advice is get used to the LCP trigger. I don't see how it could be converted to DA/SA unless you are made of money.

There are a few guns that are DA/SA, such as the Walther PPK and SIG P230/232, but in my opinion are either too large or heavy for pocket carry.

As for other guns, I don't know what size your pockets are, but you might want to take a look at the Kahr PM9. I recently retired my pocket .380 (Kel-Tec P3AT) for the slightly larger but much more effective Kahr PM9. This will be my pocket gun for warmer weather.

VolGrad
03-22-11, 19:39
I also suggest getting used to the LCP.

I love mine. It isn't the best trigger but then it isn't a range gun either so I can live with it. I shoot it every few range trips just to stay proficient and to make sure it is running well.

BaronFitz
03-22-11, 20:45
Putting the "extended pinky rest" floorplate on the LCP mags makes it a lot more pleasant to shoot.

The trigger is what it is, but there's an article in an issue of SWAT magazine from maybe 6 months to a year ago that covers a full up retrofit that Robar does, if you're interested.

I put a Crimson Trace on it to compensate for the lack of proper sights. I find that this also helps with trigger pull, since you can see the laser wobbling around if you're sloppy.

Realistically speaking though, it's either my backup or my primary in settings where I can't effectively conceal a full sized gun.

1911pro
03-22-11, 21:09
I have an LCP and would say leave the trigger alone. Be honest with yourself. Are you going to carry an LCP because it is easy or because you cannot carry anything larger? I only carry it as a backup or when honestly I can carry nothing else. It is great for these times. If you can adjust your dress and it is not the end of the world if someone figures out you are armed, go for something bigger like an M&P9c or a Kahr PM9. The LCP is king of the the better than nothing pistols. Honestly at 7 yards it is amazingly accurate for an under $300.00 pistol.

jklaughrey
03-22-11, 21:16
Best for back-up or nothing at all pistol. Trigger...just deal and get used to it. It is for all intent a belly gun, you aren't looking for competition accuracy here.

skyugo
03-22-11, 21:53
I appreciate that, but I want to practice with any gun I'm going to be carrying. And this will hopefully be my summertime CCW. Thanks in advance, and if there's a front-pocket concealable gun I'm overlooking, I'm definitely open to that. I'd prefer to stay under $600 or so, and caliber is secondary to ease of concealment. If someone can convince me that Rohrbaughs, Seecamps, etc. are *that* superior, I suppose I could put my AR on the back burner and invest though.

how set are you on front pocket carry? I my front pocket already contains my wallet and my knife. my other front pocket has my car keys and a spare mag in it. pocket carry sure sounds convenient, but I think the reality of it is generally less than ideal.
a glock 26 IWB is basically undetectable even in summer clothing. it's also something you can enjoy shooting at the range and become proficient with.

other option i suppose would be a ruger LCR, which i've heard great things about the trigger on. not to mention micro revolvers tend to be quite a bit more reliable than micro autos.

Blue Ridge
03-22-11, 23:33
Be honest with yourself. Are you going to carry an LCP because it is easy or because you cannot carry anything larger?

A little of both. I own a retail store and carry to and from work. I picked up a Walther P99c (very close in size to a G26), and am fairly proficient with it, but I always wind up putting it under the register. After a few hours, even with 511 khakis and a thick belt, it's bothering me. I know for me to carry all the time, it's going to need to be tiny. Also, summer in NC is shorts and T-Shirt weather. I don't want to even have to consider accidental exposure.
Part of the reason I want a pleasant shooter is that I'll be more likely to practice longer if my hand isn't worn out after the 3rd mag. I was thinking of one of these front pocket holsters: http://www.mecopocketholsters.com/frontpocket.htm which looks like it would fit in any pants I might wear. I'm not 100% on front pocket, it just seems to make more sense than back pocket for ease of drawing and concealment. IWB is fine when standing, but after a lot of bending and stooping -which I do all day at work, it really gets uncomfortable. I'm currently using a High Noon Split Decision, which is much better than the previous holsters I tried. I wear it at 4 O' Clock unless I know I'll be driving, when it goes to 2. I'll probably still carry the P99 most days, the LCP is to keep something on me in case I'm not behind the register when I need it.

lloydkristmas
03-23-11, 00:47
The LCP trigger has to be heavy, thats what allows it to remain relatively safe, even when pocket carried.

I have an LCP and I actually love it. It comes in real handy when I simply cannot carry anything else. I can carry it in gym shorts while jogging even.

The LCP is a compromise, all the way around. The trigger sucks, the caliber sucks, the grip sucks, but its reliable and TINY.

Just accept it for what it is and appreciate what its good at.

;)

1911pro
03-23-11, 09:18
A little of both. I own a retail store and carry to and from work. I picked up a Walther P99c (very close in size to a G26), and am fairly proficient with it, but I always wind up putting it under the register. After a few hours, even with 511 khakis and a thick belt, it's bothering me. I know for me to carry all the time, it's going to need to be tiny. Also, summer in NC is shorts and T-Shirt weather. I don't want to even have to consider accidental exposure.
Part of the reason I want a pleasant shooter is that I'll be more likely to practice longer if my hand isn't worn out after the 3rd mag. I was thinking of one of these front pocket holsters: http://www.mecopocketholsters.com/frontpocket.htm which looks like it would fit in any pants I might wear. I'm not 100% on front pocket, it just seems to make more sense than back pocket for ease of drawing and concealment. IWB is fine when standing, but after a lot of bending and stooping -which I do all day at work, it really gets uncomfortable. I'm currently using a High Noon Split Decision, which is much better than the previous holsters I tried. I wear it at 4 O' Clock unless I know I'll be driving, when it goes to 2. I'll probably still carry the P99 most days, the LCP is to keep something on me in case I'm not behind the register when I need it.

If it was my store in the kind of environment that I could get away with an untucked shirt there would be a bigger pistol IWB or OWB and the LCP in my front pocket at all times. I use an uncle mikes #1 for the LCP and it has been great.

skyugo
03-23-11, 12:16
the split decision eh.. similar to one of my summer setups-glock 26 in a mr softy. which i consider one of the more comfortable carry rigs

I'd try out a comptac minotaur before you totally give up on carrying a big gun... It really spreads the pressure out. considering you're in retail and you make the rules regarding what you can carry there a big gun really makes sense. I tend toward 3 o clock carry and use a neutral cant minotaur for my HK p7. I routinely carry this gun/holster 14 hours a day. it's also tuckable, so it's somewhat of a deep concealment option if you don't want to worry about your customers seeing the grip of your pistol while you're bending down or reaching for something.

the other option is OWB carry, which is pretty much the most comfortable way to go but can be less than concealable if you don't dress around it. raven phantoms are great OWB.

Blue Ridge
03-23-11, 13:14
Funny you should mention the P7. That gun has been on my mind since the Aussie guy on Top Shots; I've actually had dreams about that pistol! I read that H&K makes limited edition production runs from time to time, but I've never seen one new for sale. And even used, the PSP is the only one in my price range.
I'm willing to give some new holsters a try, I went through 3 before settling on the Split Decision. The only thing I don't like about it is re-holstering, but that is a minor gripe for SD I suppose.

bigghoss
03-23-11, 16:29
if you want a pocket gun with a light trigger maybe a sig 238 or colt mustang is the way to go. I don't know what the trigger pull is on them but being that they are variants of the 1911 maybe they can be made very nice.

mikejg
03-23-11, 17:01
I recently picked up an LCP and the trigger guard beats the hell out of my trigger finger on each shot.

I guess it's so small I can't get a decent grip or the trigger fires so far to the rear my trigger finger is at an abnormal angle.

Does anyone have this problem??