PDA

View Full Version : VTAC TRX vs KAC URX II

huntsimp
03-22-11, 23:03
I want to build an 11.5" SBR with a BFH upper from BCM.

I was looking for some insights into the pros and cons of the VTAC TRX 11" vs KAC URX II mid-length for this set-up. (besides price)

Is the KAC really worth it?

Belmont31R
03-22-11, 23:21
URX is my favorite rail, and it has a ton of features. The TRX is kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum in that its really bare bones. Doesn't mean its not functional. You just have to decide what you want in a rail, and what features you'd like to have or think you need.

Also keep in mind with the URX it comes with the front buis whereas with the TRX you'd need to buy one separately.

uwe1
03-23-11, 01:01
Also keep in mind with the URX it comes with the front buis whereas with the TRX you'd need to buy one separately.

You'll also need to purchase a Noveske TRX QD sling attachment.

Doesn't the URX come with integral QD mounts?

Magic_Salad0892
03-23-11, 03:07
Yes it does, and I think I heard that new models will be anti-rotation.

Also, Troy is making an integrated M4 style sight on their new rail.

I have full size (rifle length) URX-II rails cut down past the sight (for SBR guns) at about 10 3/4'' and equipped with KAC M4 flip up front sights.

My 16.1 cut to 14.5'' is now at 11'' (or so.).

I'm going to get my uncut 16.1'' cut to 11''. They'll be semi-dedicated suppressed.

My original 11'' gun will be my beater.

I forgot why that was relevant, but KAC still hasn't said if they'd release the URX-III commercially, so it might be worth the wait. (URX-III will make both rails completely obsolete. AAC's .300 BLK units will have them equipped.)

mtdawg169
03-23-11, 06:50
URX III is supposed to be available now. Rifle length only.

P/N 30005-3

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

markm
03-23-11, 09:07
Just when I thought this RAIL MADNESS couldn't get any more confusing and ridiculous. :rolleyes:

mtdawg169
03-23-11, 13:34
Just when I thought this RAIL MADNESS couldn't get any more confusing and ridiculous. :rolleyes:

C'mon Mark, we all know you harbor a secret love for rails, collapsing stocks and as many accessories as possible on your guns! ;)

huntsimp
03-23-11, 13:49

P/N 30005-3

Any word on mid-length? Or pictures of the URX III?

mtdawg169
03-23-11, 14:00
No idea on midlength availability. SMGLee's SHOT Show pic thread has some pictures of the urx III.

huntsimp
03-31-11, 08:50

P/N 30005-3

Where can I order?

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 09:05
It's not available yet to the public. They're taking dealer orders though only on the rifle length and only available in black - p/n 30005-3 - I believe they're shipping now or very soon on the AAC 300.

Remember that the rifle length URX II rubs the mid length gas block on the SR15, so the bottom corner need shaved. I think Kevin posted the URX III rifle length has relief cuts, but if I'm wrong, it will need shaved as well.

I just picked up a LW URX II for one of my SR15's that getting an 11.5" barrel. I'm not sold on these slick rail systems yet. I actually like usig the rail covers, especially stippled KAC covers, and I'm not sure how hot they'll get. It would be nice if OBR/PredatAR type rail covers were available.

The URX III isn't as light, but has the integrated rail sections in the front that are thinner than the added sections on the LW URX II. Also, the MOE rail sections will not fit the URX III like they do the LW URX, and there's also now three types of hand stops available for use with rails, and without rails for the LW URX II and the URX III, though you they're not interchangeable between the LW and III.

Magic_Salad0892
03-31-11, 09:17
Do you know if the KAC handstops can be attached without the rail piece being there?

In one of SMGLee's photos (SureFire) it looks like a KAC handstop is bolted directly to the rail.

BTW: I would get some URX-IIIs cut down to 10 3/4'' if I didn't already have the others.

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 09:23
Yes, they can be attached directly to the bottom of the rail without a rail section. There's one specifically for the LW URX II and one specifically for the URX III. I'll post back with the part numbers if I can find them again.

ETA - The part numbers aren't listed yet, but they'll be making about 100 for LW URX II and about 300 for the URX III. Form what I read, mount n' slot has a MOE handstop that should work with the LW URX, but not the URX III.

My understanding is that the URX III is not a replacement for the URX II, just another option, in case anyone was wondering. Now, there's a new brake coming out, the MAMS, which will work with their new cans, one a CQB only adding about 3 inches in length. Unfortunately, I don't believe they'll work with the Triple Tap, so we'll need the MAMS or the FH, and I'm not spending another $450 each (or whatever it will be), so I guess I'll be holding out for the BattleComp AAC 51t model and run my new M42000 and Mini4 cans. I should be able to pick them up around the same time the BC 51t is available.

There's an open album Kevin posted from a KAC tour that has images of the new SR16 14.5" and 11.5" "enhanced guns" with both lengths of the URX III's. The rifle length looks great on the 14.5" guns. I'm still on the fence about these URX III's, so I'm going to run my LW URX for a while before making any decisions. What I'm looking to do though is get some rail sections made thinner than the MOE sections. Those are made to go on a flat surface, like the polymer MOE obviously, so they actually make the whole rail thicker. If they fit around the slick rail instead of straight on top, they be as thin as the URX III's. I have a buddy at a machine shop that said he'll do it, I just need to get around to it in the next couple weeks.

markm
03-31-11, 09:38
C'mon Mark, we all know you harbor a secret love for rails, collapsing stocks and as many accessories as possible on your guns! ;)

I do like my KAC and DD rails. It's just getting overwhelming all the configs out there now.

They offer a rail selection class at the junior College next semester!

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 09:38
BTW: I would get some URX-IIIs cut down to 10 3/4'' if I didn't already have the others.

Cutting off of the rear or front? I guess it would be the front due to the threading on the rear...

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 09:41
I do like my KAC and DD rails. It's just getting overwhelming all the configs out there now.

They offer a rail selection class at the junior College next semester!

I'm perfectly happy with the URX II's and DD rails. The only reason I went with the LW URX II was because it popped up and I just grabbed it. Now that I have it, I don't know. I think it'll be fine as long as I can get some thinner sections of rail on it. But, I don't see myself running out for the URX III's.

The spring loaded front sight is a nice touch on the LW URX, that should be a standard feature, I think.

ETA - i've noticed my spelling and grammar is going to hell in my past couple posts. I'm sick as hell and got about 3 hours of sleep.

mtdawg169
03-31-11, 09:49
I think the rifle length urx II may be going away, to be replaced by the urx III based on a post by Kev over on Silencertalk.

huntsimp
03-31-11, 09:49
What's the difference between the URX II and LW URX?

Where are they available for sale?

And where is that Album with the SR-16 you speak of? Is that a new version or just for LE/Mil?

Don't want to jump on an SR-15 E3 if they're about to release something new.

Sorry for all the questions.

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 10:01
The SR16 Enhanced is a gov/mil gun for select fire and suppressed shooting. If there is an SR15 "Enhanced" it won't be for a year or more. Even then, you could basically just upgrade the rail on your current SR15 and be up to speed since most of us don't need it set up for automatic and suppressed fire.

The LW URX II is the same as used on the KAC/Magpul SR15. There were 50 released besides the 100 for the Magpul guns.

mtdawg169, I didn't see that post. My understanding is the URX II, in both configurations, was staying around and the URX III's will options. Like I said, I'm still not sold on this whole slick rail thing. I know the new LaRue PredatAR guns will be set up pretty nice, but that's a tubular hand guard as opposed to this where the rails are just shaved off.

mtdawg169
03-31-11, 10:21
JonC, Kev mentioned it in a different thread titled "older style urx".

I just double checked and it does appear that the rifle length urx II will be discontinued and replaced by the rifle urx III.

Much like you, I'm not sold on the slick rail and am disappointed to hear about the possible retirement of the rifle urx II.

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 10:41
Interesing, thanks for double checking. Maybe it was the URX II mid length that would continue on. Either way, unless this LW URX II blows my mind and speeds things up considerably without getting too hot, I'll won't be replacing my standard URX II on my 16", though that URX III rifle length does look good on a 14.5" gun. Unfortunaltely, looks mean nothing when it comes to performance.

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 10:43
double post

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 10:57
huntsimp, sorry about jacking your thread with the URX info. I'm going to post a pic of my LW URX and standard URX II in a bit, I just took some crappy cell phone pics.

The regular URX II is about 17 ounces. The LW URX II is about 10 ounces with rail sections weighing no more than an ounce when combined. That's the reason I wanted one for my 11.5" SR15.

SR15's with standard URX II - LW URX II by itself. I like using rail covers, so I'm just not sure yet about slick rails, like I mentioned before.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/IMG_1070.jpg

huntsimp
03-31-11, 12:38
huntsimp, sorry about jacking your thread with the URX info. I'm going to post a pic of my LW URX and standard URX II in a bit, I just took some crappy cell phone pics.

The regular URX II is about 17 ounces. The LW URX II is about 10 ounces with rail sections weighing no more than an ounce when combined. That's the reason I wanted one for my 11.5" SR15.

SR15's with standard URX II - LW URX II by itself. I like using rail covers, so I'm just not sure yet about slick rails, like I mentioned before.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/IMG_1070.jpg

No apologies necessary. I welcome the info. I'd be asking questions about this anyway?

So is there no difference between the LW URX II and the URX III as far as design?

How did you get your hands on the LW URX II?

jonconsiglio
03-31-11, 12:47
The URX III does not have the lightening cuts right below the top rail. Also, the slick rails are all solid, not cut open like the LW URX II for mounting rails. Lastly, the URX III has three integral rail sections at the very front of the rail on the sides and bottom.

They haven't mentioned the weight yet, but I'd imagine it's closer to the 17 ounces of the URX II than the 10 ounces of the LW URX II. Also, they are only available in black and rifle length so far, and that's only for dealers as of right now.

I'm not sure how linking other threads, articles and albums goes, but if you Google "M110 carbine URX III", it should be the second link listed. Go to the first page of the link and follow it to view the Military Times article.

Someone on another site was selling his special run KAC stuff, so I jumped on the rail.

trauma
04-03-11, 18:43
URX is very light , Kac is my vote