PDA

View Full Version : Converting Glock 23 Gen 4 to 9mm

DHart
03-22-11, 23:58
Anyone here done this yet?

My understanding is that the conversion barrels for the Gen 3 G23 will work in the Gen 4 G23, but a lighter weight, 9mm recoil spring that is designed for the Gen 4 gun will probably be needed.

So, what recoil spring would you use when converting a G23 Gen 4 to 9mm?

Does Glock sell the G19 Gen 4 "04" 9mm spring for separate purchase or only provide them to people with Gen 4 G19's who are having problems with the "03" spring?

Wayne Dobbs
03-23-11, 08:10
While many people get away with leaving a .40 ejector in the gun, I would recommend you install the 9mm ejector if you do the change. Extractors are also different.

DHart
03-23-11, 14:53
I agree, since the gun is to be used for serious social purposes, I plan to replace both the ejector and extractor just for an extra measure of performance - even though many say replacing these parts isn't necessary.

novaDAK
03-23-11, 19:32
For best reliability using conversion barrels, change out the ejector, extractor, and spring loaded bearing.

I've never had a problem with just a barrel swap and caliber-specific mags, but it was only for range use, not life saving use.

DHart
03-23-11, 19:51
For best reliability using conversion barrels, change out the ejector, extractor, and spring loaded bearing.

I've never had a problem with just a barrel swap and caliber-specific mags, but it was only for range use, not life saving use.

That's my plan. Thanks for your comments.

scootle
03-24-11, 01:09

Pardon my newbiness... but I am planning to try a conversion on a Gen3 Glock 23 to 9mm and I'm curious what the ejector swap entails... is it the entire trigger housing in the frame that has to go?

I didn't realize the ejector on the .40SW format would be much different from the 9mm setup.

The extractor swap to the 9mm version is relatively simple, obviously, being a single part.

Thanks.

novaDAK
03-24-11, 02:20
Pardon my newbiness... but I am planning to try a conversion on a Gen3 Glock 23 to 9mm and I'm curious what the ejector swap entails... is it the entire trigger housing in the frame that has to go?

I didn't realize the ejector on the .40SW format would be much different from the 9mm setup.

The extractor swap to the 9mm version is relatively simple, obviously, being a single part.

Thanks.
The ejector and trigger housing come as one unit. The difference between the 9mm and .40/357 ejectors is pretty simple and easily distinguished visually. The 9mm ejector looks "bent" inwards while the .40/357 ejector is straight. The "bend" in the 9mm ejector is made for the slightly smaller diameter of the 9mm case head.

DHart
03-24-11, 02:26
The ejector is ever so slightly different between 40 and 9. They are similar enough that the ejector for the 40 usually works fine with 9mm, but to ensure reliability, it is best to replace the ejector as well in a conversion from 40 to 9.

The ejector itself is integrated into a triangular polymer piece that also houses the trigger spring and connector and brings the trigger bar, spring, and connector together. If you go to any of the Glock parts retailers websites you can see the piece.

Palmguy
03-24-11, 05:26
I agree, since the gun is to be used for serious social purposes, I plan to replace both the ejector and extractor just for an extra measure of performance - even though many say replacing these parts isn't necessary.

Just curious...why are you planning on running a conversion for defensive purposes?

DHart
03-24-11, 05:59
Just curious...why are you planning on running a conversion for defensive purposes?

Well... I'm considering running a conversion gun for defensive purposes because I prefer Glocks in 9mm and happen to have a G23 Gen 4 that I don't really want to get rid of.

So I'm going to function test it for 500 or so rounds of 9 and if it proves reliable, it can join my two G19s and my G17 as another 9mm Glock in the house.

If it doesn't pan out well in 9mm, I'll just keep it as a .40.

And if it proves stone reliable in both calibers, I've got a very versatile G23 on my hands.

mvelimir
03-24-11, 06:49
I had G23 that I used with Wolf conversion barrel and nothing else but 9mm magazines. It was 100% reliable and more accurate that with original .40 barrel.

I would suggest that you move in steps. First, get a barrel and magazines and test it for a few hundred rounds. If you encounter problems with then start adding one by one additional part.

BTW, I sold that Glock 23 with all the extras and bought CZ P-07 Duty and never regretted it.

johnpuga1982
08-23-12, 08:43
What are some brands and places to look at when getting a conversation kit?

MrSunday
08-23-12, 12:09
I just went with a KKM .40-9mm conversion for my 23c.
The barrel was a bit more money than the LW but I am very happy with it.

http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_pistol_barrels/home.php?cat=1