PDA

View Full Version : Backstrap channel insert for Gen4 Glock 17/19s?

Magic_Salad0892
03-23-11, 02:54
Does anybody make them?

Also - would anybody advice against polishing the feed ramps, chamber, and fire controls on a Gen4 Glock 19?

(Just sold a Gen4 G17 to get one. Picking it up tomorrow. Counterbored slide, and ''03'' spring.)

msstate56
03-23-11, 07:39
Glockmeister makes one. I don't have personal use with one, so I can't comment on quality. But they are not exactly a "high stress" part so it should work fine.

As for polishing the feed ramps and chamber, I don't think you will help your gun. Glocks rarely have feed way stoppages due to a rough feed ramp or chamber. I think you would be better off leaving the factory finish to prevent rust. No need to make one of the most corrosion resistant pistols ever made susceptible to rust.

Palmguy
03-23-11, 08:26
I agree with msstate. I personally would not polish the feed ramp or chamber on a Glock; in my perspective there is nothing to be gained and as such it shouldn't be messed with.

Magic_Salad0892
03-23-11, 08:27
Thanks guys.

littlejerry
03-23-11, 08:42
Does anybody make them?

Also - would anybody advice against polishing the feed ramps, chamber, and fire controls on a Gen4 Glock 19?

(Just sold a Gen4 G17 to get one. Picking it up tomorrow. Counterbored slide, and ''03'' spring.)

I would not polish the feed ramp/chamber on the Glock. The fire control group absolutely.

My Gen4 19 had some fairly sharp edges on the trigger bar "shark fin"(the part that interacts with the firing pin block). I knocked down those edges and it certainly helped my trigger pull although its still noticeably heavier than my third gen.

If you are concerned about reliability I would look at the extractor. Check out ToddG's blog to see his "discovery" on the weak point of the Gen4 17. A change in extractor seems to have fixed his problems. I checked mine out of curiosity and found it to be extremely rough and more worn than my Gen3 with 5x as many rounds through it.

Magic_Salad0892
03-23-11, 14:46
Before I go searching, what was the change? Older extractor?

littlejerry
03-23-11, 16:41
Yeah, he put in an older extractor and it seemed to cure his problems.

Magic_Salad0892
03-24-11, 03:32
What is wrong with the new extractors?

Palmguy
03-24-11, 05:16
I don't know that I've seen where anyone has positively identified the differences between the parts, but there is some discussion of the issue here: http://pistol-training.com/archives/4577#comments

Magic_Salad0892
03-24-11, 05:33
Thanks Palmguy. Lots of good information there.

Might rename the thread, and start talking extractors here.

With the amount of Gen4 models here, there has to be some news.