PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready to build my AR. Need some advice,...

cvriv
03-24-11, 04:13
Well,... I only have 2 questions right now and both are about the lower. I want to go with Larue. Purchasing a lower from them is expensive though. Their upper assembly is expensive too but there are lowers on gunbroker for about 100 bucks. That would save me about 150 big ones. As. Much as I would love to have an all Larue AR,... the total price is steep as hell, 2000+ easily. and there's still more to buy such as mags, red dot, etc. I would feel a lot better if I saved at least some money somewhere through out this purchase.

Now my first question is,.... I see rock river, sun devil, dpms, stag, and some others,.... which is best? Which should I stay away from? Will they bolt up with a Larue upper? My second question being, some of the lowers or most of them I think have the removable trigger guard such as rock river. Do the Magpul enhanced trigger gaurd fit these lowers?

Thanks in advance.

ZRH
03-24-11, 04:32
Just about any 7076 forged/billet lower will work with any upper. The only one's you have to watch out for are the so called Colt "large hole" lowers, some have different sized take down pins, some have larger sized fire control group pins. They aren't common though.

You wont find many Colt lowers, they sell complete rifles for the most part. LMT sells complete lowers. The two previous are my favorites. Palmetto State and BCM sell stripped lowers, which are ok. Sun Devil and Mega Machine are billet lowers, they are unique looking but I've never used them. The big difference is the rollmarks.

Oh and the trigger guard is held in by a roll pin and a detent.

Iraqgunz
03-24-11, 04:35
Here are some lowers that I have used and recommend. Bravo Company, LMT, Daniel Defense, Colt, Noveske and Armalite.

You don't need a Larue lower. You also don't need a "red dot". I suggest you start with a good basic carbine, learn how to use it and the iron sights and then as you progress get into the optics.

Well,... I only have 2 questions right now and both are about the lower. I want to go with Larue. Purchasing a lower from them is expensive though. Their upper assembly is expensive too but there are lowers on gunbroker for about 100 bucks. That would save me about 150 big ones. As. Much as I would love to have an all Larue AR,... the total price is steep as hell, 2000+ easily. and there's still more to buy such as mags, red dot, etc. I would feel a lot better if I saved at least some money somewhere through out this purchase.

Now my first question is,.... I see rock river, sun devil, dpms, stag, and some others,.... which is best? Which should I stay away from? Will they bolt up with a Larue upper? My second question being, some of the lowers or most of them I think have the removable trigger guard such as rock river. Do the Magpul enhanced trigger gaurd fit these lowers?

Thanks in advance.

cvriv
03-24-11, 04:44
I wouldn't mind a bcm lower or a larue lower but only if I can find them for cheaper than what bcm and larue is asking. I won't be purchasing a red dot anytime time soon because I'm going to be broke right after this rifle build. I didn't think it would run me into the 2000 range. Ill search gunbroker for bcm and larue lowers. If anyone knows another place where they can be had cheap, please do share:)

Iraqgunz
03-24-11, 04:54
What are you building that is going to cost 2K? Have you already got an upper? I can put together a kick ass gun on paper that will cost you quite a bit less than 2K.

You have me confused right now.

I wouldn't mind a bcm lower or a larue lower but only if I can find them for cheaper than what bcm and larue is asking. I won't be purchasing a red dot anytime time soon because I'm going to be broke right after this rifle build. I didn't think it would run me into the 2000 range. Ill search gunbroker for bcm and larue lowers. If anyone knows another place where they can be had cheap, please do share:)

ZRH
03-24-11, 05:03
LaRue lowers are kinda like branded clothing. There is nothing special about them functionally and honestly $250 for stripped lower is not great.

Edit: I defer the rest to the above poster >.>

Happypupy
03-24-11, 05:43
I Agree 100% with IG on both the above posts. I mean if you want to spend 2K on your rifle, by all means go for it. But damn. You can put togeather something nice and reliable for a lot less.

As far as lowers go, I personally like DD, LMT and POF.

I did get a SunDevil last year from a buddy of mine and while it's nice looking, it does not funtion any better than any of my other lowers. Worth the extra $$? Meh, if you want a billet lower and can get it cheap, sure.

5pins
03-24-11, 07:41
What is the purpose of this rifle you are building? Range gun, SHTF….what?

markm
03-24-11, 08:40
LaRue lowers are kinda like branded clothing. There is nothing special about them functionally and honestly $250 for stripped lower is not great.

Edit: I defer the rest to the above poster >.>

Plus you're buying a BILLET lower. I'd just stick with a forging.

cvriv
03-24-11, 09:15
LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper System LT011
$1200

LaRue Billet Lower
$250

Daniel Defense Lower Reciever Parts Kit
$75

Geissele AR15 Super Semi-Automatic Trigger - Small Pin
$170

Combo / Magpul CTR Mil Spec Stock and Receiver Extention Kit
$153

Combo Sight Set / Troy Front Tritium and plain Rear, BLACK
$250

Magpul MOE RVG (Rail Vertical Grip) - Black
$20

MOE - Magpul® Original Equipment Grip
$21

PMAG 30, 5.56x45 Magazine x 4
$60

Total = $2,199

I think im ok with that. Did I miss anything major? I think this is enough to get the gun operation so that I may start practicing?!?! I know I dont need the grips, I just threw those in because I want them. Everything else I will get later such as optics and smaller things like a vest and belt and a sling, gloves, yadda yadda. I am building this for whatever. Range, training, and as 5pins said,... when SHTF. LOL. I love it. You see,... if im going to do this, I want to do it right. WHAT IF,... one day my life did depend on this rifle?!?!? I want to know it work for me regardless. Thats why when I bought my my secondary,... I got a Glock21:) This rifle will be my tool. Not my pretty little toy play thing to shoot beer cans with. After I have everything I need,... it will be time for reloading equipment:) Cant wait!

TOrrock
03-24-11, 09:19
If your budget is $2K, and this is your first carbine, brother, I've got to say that buying a Colt 6920/6720, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co., LMT or Noveske N4 would make a hell of a lot more sense.

With the savings, you can get a very viable optic and mount, magazines, and ammunition.

This won't be your last AR.

Go with a top quality duty ready carbine to start for around $1-$1.2K and you will be much better served than blowing $2K on a very nice boutique rifle.

cvriv
03-24-11, 09:19
Plus you're buying a BILLET lower. I'd just stick with a forging.

Why forging over billet? Forging is stronger? Not as pretty but stronger? Well the Larue is machined fron billet 7075 and BCM is machined from forged 7075-T6. Which one!!?!?

TOrrock
03-24-11, 09:20
Why forging over billet? Forging is stronger? Not as pretty but stronger?

The weapon system was designed with forgings. And yes, forging is stronger.

cvriv
03-24-11, 09:24
If your budget is $2K, and this is your first carbine, brother, I've got to say that buying a Colt 6920/6720, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co., LMT or Noveske N4 would make a hell of a lot more sense.

With the savings, you can get a very viable optic and mount, magazines, and ammunition.

This won't be your last AR.

Go with a top quality duty ready carbine to start for around $1-$1.2K and you will be much better served than blowing $2K on a very nice boutique rifle.

So your saying Larue is crap?!?!? Or is this where all the different opinions start pooring in?!?! I was told that Larue and BCM make great stuff period. I dont see what the problem is here?!?! What is the difference by my doing what im doing as oppose to just buying one already assembled and ready to go?!?! I mean what does it take to assemble a lower and strap it to an already asembled and ready to go upper?!?!? Yes I am spending a bit more money but seriously,... quality wise,... whats the difference?!?!

TOrrock
03-24-11, 09:27
Please re read what I posted.

I said it was a very nice boutique rifle.

You came here asking advice. I gave you some. You are certainly free to spend your money as you wish.

cvriv
03-24-11, 09:29
The weapon system was designed with forgings. And yes, forging is stronger.

Ok then I'll go with the BCM lower. It will cost about the same to make that switch. I have a buddy of mine who bought a Noveske and with everything added he paid about what im about to pay. He's been into this stuff for a very long time and everyone he knows said Larue and BCM are good.

TOrrock
03-24-11, 09:31
Lots of good information here. (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019)

cvriv
03-24-11, 09:33
Please re read what I posted.

I said it was a very nice boutique rifle.

You came here asking advice. I gave you some. You are certainly free to spend your money as you wish.

But the way it looks,... your saying the rifle I want belongs in a boutique window only. A pretty "for show" gun.

cvriv
03-24-11, 09:34
Ok im done here,.....

The Cat
03-24-11, 09:39
Ok im done here,.....

You asked questions; you got straight-up answers from people in the know. Non-hostile answers, I might add.

What's the problem?

ETA: In this context, "Boutique" means a small, specialized, and expensive manufacturer. It doesn't mean it's crap at all.

TOrrock
03-24-11, 09:40
But the way it looks,... your saying the rifle I want belongs in a boutique window only. A pretty "for show" gun.

No. Boutique as in "A boutique is a small shopping outlet, especially one that specializes in elite and fashionable items."

LaRue makes top quality stuff, absolutely no doubt.

What I'm saying is that for $2K, you can get a hell of a good set up with a good optic, plus mags and ammo, that will serve you well in anything you want to do.

After you get some time under your belt with that, a you'll get a lot more out of buying a LaRue Stealth.

But again, it's your money and you can certainly spend it as you wish.

Trying to help you out here man, not take a shit on you.

Karcas
03-24-11, 09:51
Everything else I will get later such as optics and smaller things like a vest and belt and a sling, gloves, yadda yadda. I am building this for whatever. Range, training, and as 5pins said,... when SHTF. LOL. I love it. You see,... if im going to do this, I want to do it right. WHAT IF,... one day my life did depend on this rifle?!?!? I want to know it work for me regardless. Thats why when I bought my my secondary,... I got a Glock21:) This rifle will be my tool. Not my pretty little toy play thing to shoot beer cans with. After I have everything I need,... it will be time for reloading equipment:) Cant wait!

Got a kick out of the bold. You need a vest for "whatever"?

If I were you I'd take Templar's advice and pick up a Colt 6920 or a BCM. A quality BCM rifle can be had for 1k (maybe a tad less) and a 6920 can be had for $1200ish. Do what you want with your money... but be honest with yourself about your needs.

5pins
03-24-11, 09:55
I don’t understand. You come here complaining about price and asking for advice. Then when someone gives you their opinion you get all pissy. No one said that LaRue is junk. They make great rifles, parts, and mounts but for your needs you can do just a well for less.

cvriv
03-24-11, 10:38
Whyyyy do you all think Im being pissy?!?! I was asking about the lower. Thats all. Some lowers are a lot cheaper than others. Lowers are fairly simple thing and comtribute to very little with the guns overal performance. Other than tolerances being met so mags drop free. Yes I was complaining a bit about price but its not that big of a deal. I just kind of needed a bit of info about the lowers. So now I know that a mag dropping free i what I need. Looks isnt all that important btu the longevity of the surface coat is. Mag well flaring is important too. I dont think I want to take the chance of buying a cheaper lower. I know BCM and Larue make good stuff so,... BCM lower and with Larue upper. Thanks guys:)

Oh,... and yes, vest for whatever. My friends do a lot fo these training courses and I will told I would need a vest for my mags because the instructors want everyone carrying atleast XXX amount of ammo. Again, thanks for the advice.

philipeggo
03-24-11, 11:22
Coming from someone that asks a lot of noob questions , the orange search is your buddy . Use him. But a lower is a lower is a lower. As long as its in spec which most of the manufacturers are you wont have a problem, my PSA lowers ran me like 65 bucks with a coupon code i had . Would a noveske lower have been sexier , meh maybe but functionally they are the same. With 2k you can have one hell of a rifle , i have less that half of that in mine though and it still serves its purpose. I would set yourself a 1k budget and go to a good training class but to each his own. 2k will build you a damn nice gun. Good luck.

cvriv
03-24-11, 11:57
Coming from someone that asks a lot of noob questions , the orange search is your buddy . Use him. But a lower is a lower is a lower. As long as its in spec which most of the manufacturers are you wont have a problem, my PSA lowers ran me like 65 bucks with a coupon code i had . Would a noveske lower have been sexier , meh maybe but functionally they are the same. With 2k you can have one hell of a rifle , i have less that half of that in mine though and it still serves its purpose. I would set yourself a 1k budget and go to a good training class but to each his own. 2k will build you a damn nice gun. Good luck.

Thank you sir. Gun first classes later. I cant even attend some of these other training events until I have experience under my belt.

Beat Trash
03-24-11, 12:29
If you actually plan on using and training with the gun, it will show some scratches in the finish over time. I think of it as well earned character marks.

With that in mind, if and when I do another build, I'd use one of the blem lowers that BCM has. The blems are cosmetic, the lowers are functional.

There are a lot of nice guns out there made by LaRue and Noveske. They also command a nice price. These are good guns, of that there is no doubt.

A Colt 6920, a BCM or a Daniel Defense carbine are also excellent guns. One can get one of these for less initial cost. The base gun will still be of sufficient quality that you won't find yourself "outgrowing the gun" and needing to upgrade the base gun. I'd trust my life to a gun made by one of these three companies. (I'd still test my equipment though, no matter who made it, kinda funny that way.)

You could be up and running with a very good carbine and still have money left for a training class by going this route vs. the route you are looking to go.

Learn the system and discover what your individual needs are, then add things such as rails, RDS, lights, ect. as necessary.

I think this is the point that Iraqgunz was trying to make. I've never met or talked with the man, so I can't speak for him. But I completely agree with his comments.

I've read several posts by Iraqgunz on various topics over the last couple of years. He seems well grounded in common sense and experience. The advice he gives reflects this. This type of advice can save someone starting out time and money, if they choose to listen.

No one's trying to tell you how to spend your money. Your set up would result in an excellent gun. But I personally feel you can end up with an excellent gun for a lot less money. Then you can take the money you saved and learn how to use it. Either way, the choice is yours...

Iraqgunz
03-24-11, 15:43
OP- Your question is answered and you are obviously set on your purchase. Good luck.