PDA

View Full Version : Hard to feed ammo

Rick1987
03-24-11, 07:49
I got 250 rounds of .223 from my local reloader the other day and I was cycling the rounds and noticed they are hard to feed and extract.
I would need to use the forward assist to get the bolt into battery and to extract them I had to pull the charging handle pretty hard.

Now Remington and Winchester cycled fine, very easy.

I haven't fired them and if I did I think there would be enough force to cycle them but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Should I just use them for the range and make sure it goes into battery each time?

markm
03-24-11, 08:52
You're manually cycling LIVE AMMO in your gun? Don't DO THAT!!!!

There is nothing to be learned from this reckless act.

WHAT KIND OF AMMO IS IT???

And... If you want to check the ammo out, buy a case guage.

Rick1987
03-24-11, 09:32
I just finished building the ar. The guy I got the ammo from said it was once fired brass. I guess cycling live rounds is asking for trouble. I'll see if I can get a case gauge, and maybe go and no go gauges.

But if the ammo is alittle oversized, is if safe to shoot if I make sure each round is fully into battery?

Cincinnatus
03-24-11, 09:43
Reloaded ammo is always assuming a risk higher than that of shooting factory ammo. If the guy reloading it knows what he's doing and stays within SAAMI specs, you should be fine. Furthermore, if you are using a QUALITY AR with a barrel that has been HP/MPI inspected, you should also be fine.
The question here is, DOES this guy know what he's doing and how can you tell? Therefore, it is generally prefered by most guys to only shoot their own reloads or those of a trusted friend whom they know for a fact knows what he's doing.
Reloads are fine for range use, but many would reccomend against reloads in defensive, SHTF use.

TOrrock
03-24-11, 10:30
I'd personally return that ammo and ask for my money back.

I wouldn't buy anyone else's reloads unless it was Black Hills blue box, and even then, there good choices of quality factory ammo for less.

Stormrider
03-24-11, 12:48
If it's hard to feed then most likely he didn't resize it properly.

5pins
03-24-11, 13:54
It sounds like the reloader did not size the cases properly. That tells me that he is not checking his work with a case gage. I would also take them back and buy some quality ammo.

kerplode
03-24-11, 14:01
I'm betting they're not sized correctly. If it were me, I'd ask for my money back. The chances of actually getting a refund are low, but it can't hurt to ask. You'll have better luck if you can demonstrate they're improperly sized with a gauge. In the end, though, it may be less trouble to either dump this stuff and chalk it up to a learning experience re cheap reloads or to find a bolt-action rifle to fire them in.

If you do decide to try to fire them in the AR, be ABSOLUTELY sure ALL the primers are seated below flush and wear good eye pro.

And for heavens sake, spend $25 on one of these (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25547/catid/3/Dillon_Rifle_Case_Gages) before you have a ND test-cycling live rounds.

Iraqgunz
03-24-11, 16:35
You know I am simply amazed that in 2011 we have people who think it is a good idea to hand cycle live rounds in their weapon.

Spend a few dollars and buy some dummy ammunition.