PDA

View Full Version : NY State: Joining The Pistol Club???

Mac5.56
03-24-11, 12:51
Hey Guys,

Another NY centered thread. I've noticed the NY population on the board has really increased. So, I'm thinking of joining the pistol club in NY state (Ulster County). The manager of my business picked up the application for me. Him and I go shooting often but I have no pistol permit.

3 questions:

1. Is it worth going through this invasive process for the purpose of getting a pistol?

2. I've heard multiple descriptions about things not to say that you want the permit for, and what to say you want the permit for. (ie home defense, or "I work late at night").

3. One of the main reasons I want to get this is permit is to train, and to get into 3 Gun (which seems like a lot of fun). But, is there even 3 Gun in NY considering how difficult the permit is to get?

Thanks in advance guys.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-24-11, 13:38
Its worth it the worst part is the wait. I live in Monroe county it took me 6 month. Budy lives just south in livingston took him a month.

Its not that invasive and you should do it for sure

Pathfinder Ops
03-24-11, 15:00
It's worth it.

Yes there is 3 gun in NY.

And I can't speak for Ulster county's permit but here in Otsego county it is encouraged that you put language to the effect of Personal Safety AND Sporting purposes.
If you do not put language about the personal safety thing many counties will only issue for the purpose of sporting since that's all you asked for. If this is what happens your permit will not allow you to carry the weapon concealed and there are rules about when and how then gun must be transported to and from the range.

Also, if you ever decide to carry concealed for what ever reasons you will have to petition the County Judge requesting that the restrictions be lifted and a full CCW permit be issued. NOT a good approach because there will be paperwork costs and now more waiting involved.

Doing a few pages of BS paperwork that doesn't reveal anything about you that isn't already known or already documented by the state in some way (with the possible exception of your finger prints) is just an annoyance but inconsequential if you want to enjoy the sport.

Yes the wait sucks depending where in NY you live, but not all counties are as slow or restrictive as others. An example being here in Otsego County. I know of 3 recent CCW permit applicants who waited as little as 3 weeks and at most the permit was in the mailbox mid week of the 5th week of waiting and I believe that was because of some holiday/ vacation issues that affected the administrative process.

In other counties I understand the wait, costs and restriction issues are substantial compared to the county I am in

For the non NY folks who might be reading this thread and are not sure why some of the responses will sound all over the map. The way it works here is the individual counties in NY have autonomy over permits in areas of full carry vs. restrictions, cost, wait times, safety training requirements etc. Permits are applied for through the county Sheriff's office and finalized by the County Judge's office.

Because of this some counties are more permissive and the permit is less costly than others. Yeah i know what you are thinking. It's just the way it is and doesn't seem to be inclined to change for the better any time soon.

In general the truth is that NY is a SHALL ISSUE state and unless you meet one of the criteria that disqualifies you (history of criminal/ mental health issues and a couple other hot topics) most of the counties other than the ones immediate to NYC are easy to get a permit.

Easy is a relative term based on your feelings about wait times and or what your goal (concealed carry or sporting purposes only) is for getting the permit.

Ultimately, I think that in a state where getting a HG permit will only get harder as time goes on; getting one now is a VERY good idea before you can't.

Oh and the permitting process is only relative to getting a handgun. Rifles and shotguns are not regulated in this way.

Hopefully I have helped your thoughts on the topic and NOT hijacked your thread with too much NY, HG permit info.

Mac5.56
03-24-11, 16:51
You didn't hijack my thread at all! First it's not my thread, it is our thread for our general knowledge, and second you actually answered in a very detailed way everything I needed to know.

Thank you very much!!!

Pathfinder Ops
03-24-11, 18:10
No problem. In this state we Pro 2A folks gotta stick together.

Ask around the guys at whatever club you are shooting about the details for Ulster Co.

Also I have cpl buddies/ relatives down that way (Highland New Paltz area) and a few folks from Ulster that have taken my training programs. I'll poke at them and see what their insight is.

sjc3081
03-24-11, 22:00
I live in Dutchess County and everyone gets a full carry no problem.

Sentaruu
06-20-13, 18:25
which forms did you have to send in for the dutchess county permit? I am just about to send mine in and am a bit confused on which 9 pages they actually want mailed in to the sheriff's office?

I have the 6 pages of the county application, the 3 pages from the NYS, and the photocopies of my id, ss card and birth certificate as well as my money order.

do I just send it all to the sheriff's office or do I keep the nys ones for when I have my appointment? I just don't want to mess it up.

sjc3081
06-20-13, 20:04
I don't remember call them and ask.

Sathar
06-22-13, 09:14
I'm not trying to hijack, either, but I just want to say how it continues to amaze me just how different New York and New Jersey are, even though it'd be an enormous challenge to say which is worse.

I've been told that here on this side of the border, never ever say that you're acquiring a firearm for defense.

You see: Using lethal force against anyone is a crime in NJ, with an "Exception" that you can do it if you have to in your home. It's one of those "Affirmative Defense" things where you first plead Guilty then explain. Even though you might get off, if you purchased the weapon for defensive purposes, you are "In possession of a firearm for the purpose of committing a crime," which is a completely separate felony.

Whether or not it really works this way, I don't know. A big problem with these Police States run on fear and intimidation is that there is a lot of confusion and likely some misinformation -- even the "Accurate" answer seems to change from moment to moment and person to person.

I grew up on your side of the fence, and most of my family is still up there. I don't envy the labyrinth you're navigating even as I try to pick through mine (we're about to move the walls, too). Keep shooting!

Sentaruu
06-22-13, 10:58
I just put "all lawful purposes" on my nys app. we'll see how that flies.

Mac5.56
06-24-13, 11:13
I just put "all lawful purposes" on my nys app. we'll see how that flies.

I do not suggest this but it really depends on what county you live in.

Being vague (especially after SAFE was passed) is not the way to go about getting a pistol permit in this state.

In my meeting with a judge I got 15 minutes with him. I literally watched two people leave the chambers visibly upset that they didn't get approved. I walked in and it was because of my reasoning for why I needed it for personal defense that I got the permit.

Sentaruu
06-24-13, 12:44
yea, I amended it to say all lawful purposes including personal protection and sporting and am actually going to the SO right now to drop it off. dutchess county is usually pretty good about giving them out, its just the waiting period is abhorrent.