PDA

View Full Version : New Hickock45 review -Walther PPS

Blue Ridge
03-24-11, 13:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unOXaB3QoYk&feature=player_embedded
I suppose most folks here are familiar with Hickock's back yard gun reviews. This is pretty typical of them, of a firearm I've been considering. Of course, I want everything he reviews after seeing him shoot!

VolGrad
03-24-11, 13:08
Of course, I want everything he reviews after seeing him shoot!I'm the opposite. I can't stand to watch his reviews due to his arrogance and odd sense of humor.

markm
03-24-11, 13:28
Never heard of him. :confused:

Don't have much use for arrogance unless it's from someone who earned it like LAV or something.

VolGrad
03-24-11, 13:33
Never heard of him. :confused:

Don't have much use for arrogance unless it's from someone who earned it like LAV or something.

I've only heard of him because I have a couple of shooting buddies that subscribe to his YouTube channel.

Arrogance might be too harsh of a word, maybe it's smugness or condescension. Who knows? I just don't care for him. If I watch one of his reviews I generally turn the sound down and just watch him show the weapon, field strip it, etc. then FF through his show-off/shooting portions. If I see anything that peaks my interest I turn the sound back up. I generally watch about 2 mins of a 20 min vid.

Sorry to poo-poo in your thread OP. I prob should have kept my mouth shut. I just find this guys appeal to the masses odd. I guess it's just because he seems to have access to a lot of stuff people want to hear about.

C4IGrant
03-24-11, 13:44
Of course, I want everything he reviews after seeing him shoot!

I watched him shoot the gun. Did his shooting ability impress you???

C4

opmike
03-24-11, 13:47
Not to start an argument here, but:

Arrogance and Condescension? What?

Now, I haven't watched all of his videos, but I haven't noticed any of this. He isn't trying to masquerade as some war veteran or High Speed Low Drag operator like some people on YouTube. He usually gives his personal impressions on the gun in question and does some shooting on the targets he has set up.

VolGrad
03-24-11, 13:53
Not to start an argument here, but:

Arrogance and Condescension? What?
I can't pinpoint it really. It's about his overall attitude and delivery that to me says, "I know a lot of shit and everyone wants to listen to what I have to say.". I'm not the only one picking up this vibe. I've chatted with a couple of folks before after someone brought his name up and most have felt the same way as I do.

Again, he has a large following so who am I to say? If folks enjoy him then more power to them/him. If I had a ton of subscribers on YouTube and people sent me free stuff to try out all the time I'd probably have the same attitude. :big_boss:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-24-11, 14:16
He's no Nutnfancy. That means he actually shoots what he reviews and shoots it quite well. Ive never seen him express any arrogance or claims that he is more than what he is. He reviews his knowledge base and nothing more, while having fun doing it.

If you dont like him, watch Nutnfancy lol.

TheGreenRanger24
03-24-11, 14:16
I've seen a lot of his videos and I'm not sure what to think of him. He seems rather calm for most of his videos, but he does have another side to him shown in his outtakes (prone to angry outbursts and such). To me, he just seems to be a guy that has a pretty good size gun collection and likes to screw around some. Is he LAV? Hell no, but he doesn't pretend to be either. Personally, I think he's a hundred times better than Nutnfancy, but he is by no means a source for firearms instruction. fwiw :ph34r:

VolGrad, are you thinking that maybe he's a bit fake? 'Cause I can kind of see that. He seems to have a bit of showman in him.

VolGrad
03-24-11, 14:22
I NEVER STATED HE PRETENDS TO BE SOMETHING HE'S NOT. No one said I did. I just want to re-state that. My opinion is formed solely on his general attitude and delivery.

I recall one video I did in fact watch/listen to most of. It was a review of the HK P30 which I was particularly interested in. I wanted to see how it field stripped as I had no experience with this process on a HK. His vid was one of the first that popped up. He gave this long intro about "not shooting his P30 for a while blah blah blah" then after a few minutes of rambling made a comment to the effect of "if you believed that intro ....". It seems the gun was borrowed from a local subscriber and he was playing a trick on the viewers. Really? Who cares? I felt that I wanted that 2-3 minutes of my life back.

I know I know. If I don't like him I don't have to watch. I generally don't. Sometimes I can't find anything else to read/look at whilst the wife is watching GLEE and one can only clean/lube guns and dry fire so much. :laugh:

VolGrad, are you thinking that maybe he's a bit fake? 'Cause I can kind of see that. He seems to have a bit of showman in him.
Not sure fake is the right word either. I just think his feeling the viewers want to hear him ramble for the sake of rambling or want to watch him shoot steel animals or gongs for 15 minutes is a bit arrogant I guess. Say what you want to say. Shoot a couple of mags then end it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-24-11, 14:28
I think his fan base wants to listen to him tak for 20min and shoot little black sheep for 15min though. I certainly dont, when I watch his vids I fast forward through about 10min. It entertains, educates, and doesnt make the gun community look bad. I cant complain.

TheGreenRanger24
03-24-11, 14:30
I NEVER STATED HE PRETENDS TO BE SOMETHING HE'S NOT. No one said I did. I just want to re-state that. My opinion is formed solely on his general attitude and delivery.

I recall one video I did in fact watch/listen to most of. It was a review of the HK P30 which I was particularly interested in. I wanted to see how it field stripped as I had no experience with this process on a HK. His vid was one of the first that popped up. He gave this long intro about "not shooting his P30 for a while blah blah blah" then after a few minutes of rambling made a comment to the effect of "if you believed that intro ....". It seems the gun was borrowed from a local subscriber and he was playing a trick on the viewers. Really? Who cares? I felt that I wanted that 2-3 minutes of my life back.

I know I know. If I don't like him I don't have to watch. I generally don't. Sometimes I can't find anything else to read/look at whilst the wife is watching GLEE and one can only clean/lube guns and dry fire so much. :laugh:

Not sure fake is the right word either. I just think his feeling the viewers want to hear him ramble for the sake of rambling or want to watch him shoot steel animals or gongs for 15 minutes is a bit arrogant I guess. Say what you want to say. Shoot a couple of mags then end it.

Perhaps fake wasn't the right word to use (I wasn't accusing you of anything fwiw).

I never really gave him much thought before. For a guy on Youtube, he's relatively entertaining, but it could just be people watch him because they're jealous of his range (I sure am :laugh:).

Well whatever, as long as he portrays firearms in a safe and positive light, I won't bash the guy. He's kind of like the video equivalent of a gun rag. He's usually positive about whatever gun he uses, he fires off a few mags worth at his range, and when all is said and done, life is still good. :D

ETA: Just like a gun rag, you can always skim through the stuff you don't like, and one should always look for pertinent info before diving into a purchase.

Timbonez
03-24-11, 15:21
I actually like his vids. They aren't over the top like a nutnfancy "run and gun." His vids are very informative for new/novice shooters. I also think he is credible in that the information he provides is based on HIS experience. He doesn't really interject anything that is extraneous. In other words, it's one man's opinion without the "I heard from my friend who heard from his cousin..." BS.

ETA: I agree with TheGreenRanger about him being better than Nutnfancy. I'd say Hickock is one of the better sources of information on guns on Youtube.

Redhat
03-24-11, 15:34
Anybody going to discuss what he said about the PPS?

C4IGrant
03-24-11, 15:41
Anybody going to discuss what he said about the PPS?

Sure. I own a PPS with NS's. It is one of the BEST 9mm compacts out there. It has GREAT ergo's (Glock meets HK), is SUPER accurate and very thin.

C4

skyugo
03-24-11, 15:43
he seems like an alright guy :confused:

nutnfancy annoys me.... this guy is pretty informative and nonoffensive. far as youtubers go :o

AJD
03-24-11, 18:04
I actually stumbled across Hickok45 back in 2008 when he had no subscribers and was just starting to make videos. Over the years he has kind of developed a "character" it would almost seem. In reality I'm sure he plays up to his fans and every week his subscriber base increases so it must be working.

I have found him to actually be very self deprecating at times often commenting on his lack of skill with rifles, how he will jokingly say that he will let you know of any excuses he can think of if he misses a target, etc. He also states many times throughout his videos that he is no "expert" when it comes to his advice or how he does things.

Considering the garbage on youtube I find hickok45 to be an excellent representative of firearm owners.

His best videos as usually his Glock videos since he is such an avid Glock shooter and he can definitely shoot.

VolGrad
03-24-11, 18:10
His vids are very informative for new/novice shooters.
BINGO ... and there's nothing wrong with that. I was thinking the same but didn't say it. Most of the folks I know that yammer on and on about him are VERY novice and think he is a GENIUS. Again, nothing wrong with that either. Everyone has to be somewhere on the learning curve.

GreenRanger ... I didn't think you were accusing me of anything, not in the least. It's all good.

Blue Ridge
03-24-11, 18:32
I watched him shoot the gun. Did his shooting ability impress you???

C4
Well, yeah! He starts shooting in earnest at about the 16:00 mark. He shoots that little gun as well as (okay, better than) I can shoot my G19 or P99's I have a few thousand rounds through. I'm no pistol marksman, admittedly, but I shoot every week. There's no way I could pick up a PPS and start doing that!

I posted the vid because I haven't seen a whole lot on the PPS or found a range that rents them, and it's been one of those 'tweeners that intrigues me. I've been guilty of before-shooting purchases, which is usually how I wind up getting guns I don't keep. Seeing a good shooter take one down, compare it side by side with other familiar guns, and plink away is the only knowledge I have beyond dry firing at the LGS. I thought it was very informative. I don't really pick up an "attitude" at all from the guy. He seems the type fella you can't help but like to me, but we all have different sensibilities.

Hmac
03-24-11, 18:37
I found the video to be a tad long, but informative. I didn't sense any condescension from the guy, in fact I kind of liked him.

I have a PPS that I use for concealed carry, as does my wife. I think it's a really great pistol. I confess that I don't shoot it as consistently well as Hickock does.

C4IGrant
03-24-11, 21:32
Well, yeah! He starts shooting in earnest at about the 16:00 mark. He shoots that little gun as well as (okay, better than) I can shoot my G19 or P99's I have a few thousand rounds through. I'm no pistol marksman, admittedly, but I shoot every week. There's no way I could pick up a PPS and start doing that!

I posted the vid because I haven't seen a whole lot on the PPS or found a range that rents them, and it's been one of those 'tweeners that intrigues me. I've been guilty of before-shooting purchases, which is usually how I wind up getting guns I don't keep. Seeing a good shooter take one down, compare it side by side with other familiar guns, and plink away is the only knowledge I have beyond dry firing at the LGS. I thought it was very informative. I don't really pick up an "attitude" at all from the guy. He seems the type fella you can't help but like to me, but we all have different sensibilities.

Gotcha. Have you taken any pistol classes yet?

C4

opmike
03-24-11, 22:12
I didn't sense any condescension from the guy, in fact I kind of liked him.

There isn't any.

I've been going through his videos this evening, and he spends more time making fun of his own skill or lack of knowledge about a firearm than any bragging, which is why I'm shocked when I hear about people finding him arrogant or condescending. I have nothing invested in the guy, so I'd like to see someone cite some specifics if they are going to make such a claim. At the very most, he's sarcastic.

He's a retired guy with a shooting hobby that shares a few of his thoughts on the gun with viewers while being filmed by his son, that's it. Anyone watching the videos expecting to see something from Magpul Dynamics, or a dry, technical analysis has already missed the boat.

I won't bother commenting on YouTube video length being linked with "arrogance" as I feel that argument is untenable to the point of being silly.

Now, to get this pack on topic slightly, I don't know why I haven't given the PPS much attention. The more I read about them, the more praise I see about them, especially on this website, the more interested I become. My issues with concealment have ALWAYS been due to width and/or the grip length and the PPS seems to be addressing those. I'm not a capacity freak like many, and I have no problems with a single stack magazine if I can get some extra concealability; this is especially important for me during the summer months.

My only issue is that I prefer to keep the same (or close to the same) manual of arms with guns I train with and carry. Currently, my M&P is my primary handgun for pretty much everything I do.

Blue Ridge
03-24-11, 22:48
Gotcha. Have you taken any pistol classes yet?

C4

Only the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (which didn't take much to qualify), for my CCW. All my practice is solo or with friends -none of whom are more than fellow gun enthusiasts. But I do make it a point to shoot every Sunday, my only day off. I watched the Magpul Dynamic Handgun video, if there were classes like that around here, I'd be saving for that rather than my next gun.

VolGrad
03-25-11, 06:42
I'd like to see someone cite some specifics if they are going to make such a claim.

Anyone watching the videos expecting to see something from Magpul Dynamics, or a dry, technical analysis has already missed the boat.

I won't bother commenting on YouTube video length being linked with "arrogance" as I feel that argument is untenable to the point of being silly.

I can't cite specifics because as I've already stated I can't pinpoint it. The good news is we are all free to have our own opinion. I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree. Not a big deal.

ColdDeadHands
03-25-11, 06:48
he's full of it. When I had a PPS & Comp-Tac MTAC it wasn't slim to carry at all anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like the mtac but not for the PPS.

C4IGrant
03-25-11, 08:19
Only the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (which didn't take much to qualify), for my CCW. All my practice is solo or with friends -none of whom are more than fellow gun enthusiasts. But I do make it a point to shoot every Sunday, my only day off. I watched the Magpul Dynamic Handgun video, if there were classes like that around here, I'd be saving for that rather than my next gun.

Where do you live? I typically drive 10hrs for the classes I want to take.

C4

Blue Ridge
03-25-11, 08:29
G4, I'm in the Asheville, NC area. 10 hours on the road isn't in the cards unless I change occupations. I opened a pet shop and work Monday-Saturday 9AM to 7 PM. Three years later, and I haven't had a day off that wasn't Sunday yet. :( Hopefully this will be the year that I can hire someone full time, so far it's me opening and closing every single day.

CDH, I'm confused by your post about the PPS not being "slim to carry." Are you saying it isn't thickness that determines a pistol's ease of concealment or the MTAC just isn't the ideal holster for one?

C4IGrant
03-25-11, 08:37
G4, I'm in the Asheville, NC area. 10 hours on the road isn't in the cards unless I change occupations. I opened a pet shop and work Monday-Saturday 9AM to 7 PM. Three years later, and I haven't had a day off that wasn't Sunday yet. :( Hopefully this will be the year that I can hire someone full time, so far it's me opening and closing every single day.

CDH, I'm confused by your post about the PPS not being "slim to carry." Are you saying it isn't thickness that determines a pistol's ease of concealment or the MTAC just isn't the ideal holster for one?

Dude, your in the bread basket for training! I thought you were in SD or some other BFE State! :sarcastic: Not only do you have a VSM instructor in NC, but Vickers teaches a boat load of classes there. TigerSwan and Blackwater are also in your state.

NCPATROL (VSM instructor) does a lot of 1 day pistol and carbine classes. I am sure he can work out a Sunday class.

C4

ColdDeadHands
03-25-11, 08:44

The mtac makes the PPS much thicker then it is. I'm sure there are better (slimmer) holster options for this gun.

Pistol Shooter
03-25-11, 09:51
I've had a 9mm PPS for about 18 months and have been very, very pleased with it. :)

It's a real tack driver and has about 1,600 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero failures at this point.

The ergonomics are good (for me) and it's a pleasure to shoot at the range.

IMHO, Walther hit a homerun with this pistol.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN0002.jpg

Beat Trash
03-25-11, 11:39
The only thing stopping me from buying a 9mm PPS is the rumors that S&W may be coming out with a single stack 9mm.

But I'll give S&W until this summer to put out something. If not, then I'm adding a PPS to the mix.

wingspar
03-25-11, 13:19

Hickock45 rocks when it comes to gun videos. I’ve been a subscriber to his channel for a good year and a half, and check his channel for new videos 2 to 4 times a week. He has a lot of experience, tho he will be quick to tell you he is Not an expert. He’s a good shot too. A 230 yard gong with a handgun?

I watched that video on the Walther PPS within a couple of hours of it being posted. He has done a review on several of these “mouse guns” recently, and the are very much appreciated. Having most of them on hand to compare side by side is valuable info. I’m considering one of these “mouse guns”, and if I actually get one, I will be going back thru all his videos to help make a choice. I’ve not found anyone on YouTube to match hickock45's videos in presentation, quality, and information. The Walther PPS looks like a very nice option.

bkb0000
03-25-11, 13:29
i actually do kinda like this guy, but he is like many youtube video posters that i like, but cant stand.

turns a 2 minute video into a 15 minute video... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. seriously needs to scribble out a program outline before he turns the camera on. just point out a few things, make a couple quick comments, and shoot the mah'****in gun.

VolGrad
03-25-11, 13:33
turns a 2 minute video into a 15 minute video... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. seriously needs to scribble out a program outline before he turns the camera on. just point out a few things, make a couple quick comments, and shoot the mah'****in gun.

:dance3:

tb-av
03-25-11, 13:46
At about 17:00 or so. How large and how far out would you say that round plate is? iow, his longest shot.

graffex
03-25-11, 14:06
At about 17:00 or so. How large and how far out would you say that round plate is? iow, his longest shot.

Looks to me to be about 60-70 yards.

nickdrak
03-25-11, 14:07
I have no issue with the guy in the video. Although it does appear that rule #1 doesn't apply in his vids....or #2, #3, or #4:(

stifled
03-25-11, 14:29
I was hoping the LC9 would be an up-sized LCP and nothing else. Unfortunately Ruger stuck a couple extra safeties on it, so now I'm considering the PPS. I'm not a fan of the European style mag release, but prefer that to a tiny manual safety.

As far as Hickok goes, I watch at least part of most of his videos, if it's about a gun I'm interested in. He is one of the few gun-oriented people on Youtube who seems to know what he doesn't know (Remember Rumsfeld's "known unknowns"? Am I really the only one who knew what he meant?) which to me puts him ahead of most. He also seems to make fun of himself more than puff himself up... It seems like in more recent videos he tends to do an introduction and then only talk when he's loading magazines, though he does get a bit long winded at times. I'm not too interested in bullseye shooting so shooting a Glock 26 at 230 yards at a gong isn't exactly a useful video to me, but it's still rather impressive. But seriously, give the guy a break, he didn't charge you a dime. :)

rojocorsa
03-25-11, 14:45
I was hoping the LC9 would be an up-sized LCP and nothing else. Unfortunately Ruger stuck a couple extra safeties on it, so now I'm considering the PPS. I'm not a fan of the European style mag release, but prefer that to a tiny manual safety.

I believe the LC9 has all that extra crap so that the POS could legally be sold in my state.

I don't mind the dude's videos. Though there was one where he was shooting an Enfield, and he was blaming getting the bullets jammed on the fact that he was using JSPs. For that specific video, I actually thought that he loaded the .303 clips wrongly, but that was just me. If you don't load the clips right, you will make a jam.

wingspar
03-25-11, 15:15

80 Yards.

AngeredKabar
03-25-11, 15:23
I believe the LC9 has all that extra crap so that the POS could legally be sold in my state.

I don't mind the dude's videos. Though there was one where he was shooting an Enfield, and he was blaming getting the bullets jammed on the fact that he was using JSPs. For that specific video, I actually thought that he loaded the .303 clips wrongly, but that was just me. If you don't load the clips right, you will make a jam.

There was a few times where the JSPs hung up in my SMLE. The nose catches the bottom of the feed ramp sometimes and the lead deforms and makes it worse.

darr3239
03-25-11, 15:34
It appears to me that he is an old guy who loves guns and loves shooting them. So he's one of us.

Hard to judge those distances, but it seems he can shoot those pistols better than most of us, and has fun doing it.

tb-av
03-25-11, 16:24
Looks to me to be about 60-70 yards.

wingspar wrote:

80 Yards.

Damn! I was guessing 50 yards since his land slopes off them back up again.

So he's hitting a 12"(or less) circle at 60 - 80 yards like it's child's play?

When I've read that that pistol was accurate I had no idea.

I just missed buying one used in VA a month ago. Now I really want one.

tb-av
03-25-11, 16:29
Sure. I own a PPS with NS's. It is one of the BEST 9mm compacts out there. It has GREAT ergo's (Glock meets HK), is SUPER accurate and very thin.

C4

Grant which NS's do you like on that gun? Can they be installed by end user?

badness
03-25-11, 16:48
i have a pps 40. 1 malfunc in 150 rounds.

Man i need to go shoot more........as soon as more money miraculously appears in my bank account. :suicide2:

Steve S.
03-25-11, 16:56
Hickok45 is a good guy. He definately has a love for firearms, like most of us here. And I think that gong is something like 250 yards out - so he's no slouch at shooting. He just doesn't get too tactical with his shooting. It reminds me of backwoods shooting with friends.

The fact that he chooses our holsters is a a BIG COMPLIMENT.

When you have that many guns and shoot that many rounds - you learn a thing or two.

AJD
03-25-11, 16:58
wingspar wrote:

Damn! I was guessing 50 yards since his land slopes off them back up again.

So he's hitting a 12"(or less) circle at 60 - 80 yards like it's child's play?

When I've read that that pistol was accurate I had no idea.

I just missed buying one used in VA a month ago. Now I really want one.

He seems to enjoy shooting at distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4&feature=relmfu

Although...maybe its because I am a novice that I find this impressive.

bkb0000
03-25-11, 17:10
He seems to enjoy shooting at distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4&feature=relmfu

Although...maybe its because I am a novice that I find this impressive.

theres another vid when he does the same thing with a glock 27.. not quite as many hits, but he gets it well enough.

A8AWD
03-25-11, 19:09
It appears to me that he is an old guy who loves guns and loves shooting them. So he's one of us.

Hard to judge those distances, but it seems he can shoot those pistols better than most of us, and has fun doing it.

First post finally:D

Anyway, I believe he stated over a year ago in one of his vids that he is a retired LEO.

Blue Ridge
03-25-11, 19:32
Welcome aboard, A8AWD. From a fellow noob.

VolGrad
03-25-11, 19:56
First post finally:D

Anyway, I believe he stated over a year ago in one of his vids that he is a retired LEO.
My sources say he is a school teacher and was at one time a reserve LEO (no longer).

stifled
03-25-11, 22:11

Yeah, it's an unfortunate situation. The Walther PPS seems like an excellent alternative, though.

SHIVAN
03-25-11, 22:18
He seems like a decent enough guy.

memphisjim
03-25-11, 23:56
arrogant not really he has mostly a self-deprecating sense of humor
the nutnfancy guy kinda annoys me however

Surf
03-26-11, 14:21
I have seen a few of his video's. I think he's an OK fella. Looks like he has fun doing what he is doing. I don't really pull a negative vibe from him. I have seen a video of his range tour. The first gong is at 80 yards and the outer gong is 230 yards. He kicks one of them with his foot. He is supposed to be 6'8" or something so he probably has very large feet. The gong was more than twice the size of his foot so it looks to be 30" or so. Hits on a 30" target at 230 yards isn't that crazy with a pistol especially if you have the ability to do it a lot and understand your holds. 30" at 80 yards should be a piece of cake for anyone with decent skills.

skyugo
03-26-11, 17:48
arrogant not really he has mostly a self-deprecating sense of humor
the nutnfancy guy kinda annoys me however

I'm pretty sure nutnfancy annoys everyone who sees him. i'm sure he's a nice enough guy... there's just something about his vids that makes you :suicide2:

varoadking
03-26-11, 18:38
My sources say he is a school teacher and was at one time a reserve LEO (no longer).

Did they also happen to mention if he was arrogant?

Timbonez
03-26-11, 19:18
Hickok45 is a good guy. He definately has a love for firearms, like most of us here. And I think that gong is something like 250 yards out - so he's no slouch at shooting. He just doesn't get too tactical with his shooting. It reminds me of backwoods shooting with friends.

The fact that he chooses our holsters is a a BIG COMPLIMENT.

When you have that many guns and shoot that many rounds - you learn a thing or two.

It's not 250 yards out. Like someone mentioned earlier, it is probably around 80 yards. I believe Hickock mentions the distances of his targets in one of his vids. He has on occasion set up a gong at ~230 yards to shoot it it, however.

VolGrad
03-26-11, 19:21
Did they also happen to mention if he was arrogant?

Actually my "source" said my assessment was right on. LOL.

rojocorsa
03-26-11, 19:30
Yeah, it's an unfortunate situation. The Walther PPS seems like an excellent alternative, though.

I'd probably go with the PPS. Then again, I'm biased against Ruger. But really, I like the PPS better.

czydj
03-26-11, 19:45

Yep... I don't get the digs.

gtmtnbiker98
03-26-11, 21:00
I don't get this thread. Just because the guy isn't a self-proclaimed S.M.E. (there's enough already) and doesn't subscribe to the particular brand of training this month, doesn't make him a bad person. A lot of you need to get over yourself.

TheGreenRanger24
03-26-11, 22:58
I was curious as to how many subscribers he has and was rather impressed considering (60,274).

Got a little nauseous though when I found out how many Nutnfancy has (126,086).

Oh well. :lazy2:

Heavy Metal
03-26-11, 23:08

You only need to be able to drive to Fayetteville.

Blue Ridge
03-27-11, 10:31
That's a 9 hour round trip, but I'm looking into it. The local range has private lessons and I'm taking one today. At $25 per half hour plus ammo and range fees, I hope it tuns out to be good. The only class they offer are is the NRA basics class that I took and didn't really learn from. It seemed geared toward people who were shooting a pistol for the first time. I'm no expert, but I've got 25,000+ pistol rounds practice (mostly rimfire).

Back to the PPS, my LGS has one and I got to handle, dry fire, and wear it around yesterday. I couldn't believe how much more comfortable it is than my G26. It's an ugly gun (to me), and isn't as light as I expected, but a mere 1/4" thinner made quite a difference bending, stooping and squatting in the store. Whether that difference would be negligible or more pronounced after several hours I can only speculate.

tdoom15
03-27-11, 13:31
I've been debating between the PPS and G26 for a few weeks now, and finally found a shop that had the PPS in stock, and you're right, the wearability is significantly better than the G26. I wear fitted clothing most of the time, so this is a big deal for me, and I think I'm now leaning towards getting the PPS for that reason alone. The only thing holding me back is the lower round count, but I did like the trigger on the PPS quite a bit better. Tough decision!

Hmac
03-27-11, 13:41
I've been debating between the PPS and G26 for a few weeks now, and finally found a shop that had the PPS in stock, and you're right, the wearability is significantly better than the G26. I wear fitted clothing most of the time, so this is a big deal for me, and I think I'm now leaning towards getting the PPS for that reason alone. The only thing holding me back is the lower round count, but I did like the trigger on the PPS quite a bit better. Tough decision!

The much slimmer profile is what you trade off single vs. double stack magazine - capacity vs. better grip and better concealability. My wife in particular did not like the G26 because of the fat grip and complete lack of 5th finger support. I get a blue-label discount on Glocks. I really wanted both of us to prefer the G26 but the thinner grip of the PPS and the little finger support from the 7 round (9mm) magazine was the selling point for her and for me. That longer magazine doesn't affect concealability anywhere near the extent of the thickness of the G26.

YMMV depending on how often you carry and under what kind of clothes, as well as your preferred holster style.

brushy bill
03-27-11, 18:52
Yep... I don't get the digs.

Me either...

zacbol
03-28-11, 20:51
Had been toying with the idea of picking one of these up and this video, along with some of the postings in this thread, pushed me over the line. Rented one at the range and was surprised how accurate I was with it --in fact *more* accurate than the G19 or HK45 I also had with me and was shooting.

Picked one up immediately thereafter. Now I just have to decide if I want to address the fact I have three handguns, all of them different platforms. I'm loathe to sell the HK45 (it's a great gun) but that's the way I'm leaning. Figure everyone should have at least one Glock.

Beat Trash
03-29-11, 10:15
Had been toying with the idea of picking one of these up and this video, along with some of the postings in this thread, pushed me over the line. Rented one at the range and was surprised how accurate I was with it --in fact *more* accurate than the G19 or HK45 I also had with me and was shooting.

Picked one up immediately thereafter. Now I just have to decide if I want to address the fact I have three handguns, all of them different platforms. I'm loathe to sell the HK45 (it's a great gun) but that's the way I'm leaning. Figure everyone should have at least one Glock.

Unless you need to sell one to pay for the other, don't do something you'll regret later.

zacbol
03-29-11, 10:27
Unless you need to sell one to pay for the other, don't do something you'll regret later.
Yeah, that's why I'm on the fence. You have varying schools of thought on this from many members on here saying "stick to one platform" so the motor skills are identical to Jeff Cooper's entreaty to 'Never sell a firearm'.

I like the HK45 a lot. Don't need the money at all. That said, I have three guns each with its own quirks. In particular the magazine release on the Walther is idiosyncratic (that's code for 'crappy') and I think I need to train exclusively with it for awhile to become a least mildly proficient.

I would hate the idea of firearms just sitting in my safe or worse, one with which I'm not completely proficient if it came down to using it to defend my life. I guess I'll see if it's an issue and take it from there. If I do keep the HK45, I think at the very least I'll have it converted to the LEM trigger as that will eliminate one of the big differences with the other guns in terms of its manual of arms.

Dave G
03-29-11, 12:57
Seems to be a lot of undue hate in this thread. I enjoy watching his videos that feature guns I may be interested and have not been able to get my hands on. Not everyone has to be a professional killer to give a review on a firearm.

ER_STL
03-29-11, 13:28
I don't get this thread. Just because the guy isn't a self-proclaimed S.M.E. (there's enough already) and doesn't subscribe to the particular brand of training this month, doesn't make him a bad person. A lot of you need to get over yourself.

+1 to this and Dave G's post. I've come to enjoy Hickok's videos and I think he shoots very well - probably better than most of the people in this thread. And he often does it with the more powerful cartridges too.

If you've followed him long enough you've learned to recognize his self-deprecating humor and oddball attitude. He appears to be a strong 2nd Amendment supporter and he's certainly doing a better job representing the gun community than most of the other videos on YT...

scootle
03-30-11, 15:20
Why do links to videos (esp. ones by hickok45 or nutnfancy) seem to instantly conjure up hate posts? They are what they are, nobody forces you to watch.

I think they can provide useful information to those who want to sit through them. Plus, I don't see any of these armchair critics going off to make Academy-award-winning documentaries of their own to fill the quality-void that they seem to cry about.

As for the topic at hand, I saw a PPS at the shop last week, but since it was in a state of partial disrepair (no barrel for some reason) I didn't bother to handle it. It did look very thin, but man... I can't say I'm a fan of the way it looks...

Kool Aid
03-31-11, 08:52
I've put a few magazines through a PPS and found it shockingly accurate. I didn't care for the Frankenstein version of an HK mag release. Its a thin pistol, but kind of on the large size compared to other single stack nines on the market.

I've seen Hickock45's P30 and PF9/LC9 reviews. Anyone who can hit an 80-yard gong with a PF9 is pretty skilled, IMO.