PDA

View Full Version : Standard Issue Optics

theoak
03-24-11, 16:26
I wanted to preface my post by saying that I was an 11B from 87 - 90 before becoming a 12A, and back then I don't remember ever seeing optics on any issued rifles, so I have no idea how or what optics are currently issued.

In another post I read that the TA31RCOA4 and TA31RCOM4 are the primary Marine optics, and that the Army used a variant called the M150 (similar to the Marine ACOGs).

However, I was interested in knowing the following:

1) Are the Aimpoint Comp M4s issued alongside the ACOGs, is it a personal choice, is it decided by the commander, or is it based on METT-T?

2) What is the standard issue optic for 5.56 and 7.62 DMR / SAM-R rifles? Are there any 1-4x optics in use like the TR24?

3) What are the standard issue optics for Army / Marine snipers (on 7.62 rifles)?

4) What is the most common optic on M4s in the 75th RR and Special Forces teams (are they allowed choosing their own optics)?

5) Are soldiers happy with the standard issue, or do many purchase their own optics?

Belmont31R
03-24-11, 16:41
1. Usually whatever your unit has and it what amounts. If you know the armorer you might be able to get a different optic and also based on what your COC says. I was able to use personally owned optics of my choice.

2. The Mk12's are getting Leupold MR/T's and some Nightforce I believe. The Mk11's and M110's have been given a variety of optics. Leupold, Premier, Schmidt and Bender. Army uses Leupold almost exclusively. USMC gives out some top of the line optics. I've seen one picture with an Army SF guy using a Short-Dot 1.1-4X.

3. USMC uses the Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-12X50 with the Gen II Mil Dot reticle. I believe they are now using Premier, too, but only as of recent. Army was using the Leupold LR/T 3.5-10x40 on the M110 and Leupold fixed 10X on the M24 with mil dot reticle. The new bolt gun optic is the LR/T variable with M5 turrets.

4. Just based on pictures and some personal experience but ACOG's, Elcan Spectre, EOTech. No idea if its just personal preference or what. Theres some guys here who know much more about that side of things.

5. I purchased my own because at the time our unit did not have any optics. I bought an EOTech and two ACOG's. I think most people will just use what they are issued and just use it without worrying about what they don't have. After I started using my own optics a few more people got their own, too. One doofus got a BSA red dot, put it on his SAW, and it failed 30rds in. After talking to my armorer about doofus with the BSA, and him talking to the 1SG we could only use optics that were issue items. So no more 30 dollar wal mart specials.

BooneGA
03-24-11, 17:19
Our unit has M68s (Aimpoints), EOTech (no idea on model, the CR123 cell batteries w/ integral arms mount), EOTech 3x Magnifiers, Acog TA01s, ACOG TA31s all for the M4s. We have the MGO (Elcan) for the the SAWs. For our M107s we have leupold fixed 10x MK4s that replaced our MK4 4.5-14 (I think?).

In addition I have seen issued: AA EOtechs, TA11s, Aimpoint T1s, Aimpoint 3x magnifiers, Trijicon TR21s, Nightforce 1x4 and 2.5x10s, and ELCAN Spectres.

There are a few guys running personally procured optics. I ran a S&B Short Dot for about 6 months before replacing it with a TA11.

Rick

kaltesherz
03-26-11, 01:38
My responses are a little dated as I've been out for 8 months now but was a platoon armorer so I had more access to what we had and didn't have. Everything is off of what I saw / experienced, every unit has different SOPs and some change CONSTANTLY.

1) When we deployed to OEF in 2008 we replaced all the M68's (Aimpoint M2s) with ACOGs (TA31F) on our M4s. We were given a little lee-way when it came to optics, so a few guys tried to use EOtechs we had lying around (AA models) but they failed constantly. It would be hard to really change on METT-TC (yes there's a "c" now, for "civilians on the battlefield", effing ROE...) because it's hard to make time to rezero. When I left despite the fact that we had something like 80 M68s in the Arms Room (both M2 and M4s) not one was mounted on an M4, even the HQ Pogs had ACOGs.

2) Our SDM M14s had Leupolds, MR/Ts IIRC .

3) Can't remember, didn't have any true sniper systems in our company.

4) Overseas I saw them mostly rocking ACOGs, mainly TA11s and TA31s, but did see one Elcan SpecterDR. From the pics I see these days seems to be a mix of ACOGs, EOtechs, and SpecterDRs. They seemed to have a lot of freedom of their weapons and no two were set-up alike.

5) In my experience we were very happy with ACOGs both at home (makes qualifying Expert feel like cheating) and overseas, 4x was a huge help positive IDing targets (is that guy carrying firewood or an AK?) and getting hits. I seriously doubt many people would want another optic, but if they did they'd officially only be able to use a M68 or something else "in the system", but if they were in a remote COP could get away with whatever they wanted, as long as their leadership didn't care.

rangerjay
03-27-11, 15:06
4.)
When I was in 2/75 between 01-04. We mostly used Comp m's , some guys used the Acogs though, it was shooters preference then if I remeber right.

theoak
03-27-11, 21:04
6) After having used issued ACOGs and Aimpoints, what optics do you guys use on your personal carbines?

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-27-11, 21:33
I have always used my own optics as we never had any issued optic untill the surge in 07 when we finaly got m4s and aimpoints. I used the ACOG off my personal rifle for the surge so I suppose im partial to that.

Now I have Aimpoint and eotech as I shoot the ammo I can afford and its not always 62g.

Jon

kaltesherz
03-27-11, 21:52
6) After having used issued ACOGs and Aimpoints, what optics do you guys use on your personal carbines?

I have an Aimpoint M3 in a LaRue LT-150 mount