PDA

View Full Version : USPS....

J-Dub
03-24-11, 20:03
Dont use them. 8.00 bucks to ship something that weighs 1.7oz's...and they cant even get it to your house in 4 days. Guess i'll get to test my battlecomp the NEXT time i go to the range......cause i damn sure wont tomorrow.

And people really wonder why they are billions in the hole????

I hate the postal service.

SteyrAUG
03-24-11, 20:06
I'm just thankful flat rate boxes exist.

When UPS and FedEx began to require handguns ship 2nd Day Air it killed the market for years.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-24-11, 20:32
Dont use them. 8.00 bucks to ship something that weighs 1.7oz's...and they cant even get it to your house in 4 days. Guess i'll get to test my battlecomp the NEXT time i go to the range......cause i damn sure wont tomorrow.

And people really wonder why they are billions in the hole????

I hate the postal service.

$8 didn't go to USPS, it went to the company you bought it from. Then they spent about $2-3 on postage and sent it First Class which takes 5-7 business days. For $5, they could've sent it Priority, which takes 3-5 bus. days. The USPS is doing exactly what the shipper paid them to do. If they hadn't raped you on shipping charges and sent it priority, you'd have it already.

The USPS remains the only non-subsidized Government entity today, operating solely on it's own profits.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-24-11, 20:34
I love the USPS only ones you can count on when it comes to shipping in my opnion. Never had a single issue just shipped my 300 win mag to my smith for a mag box extension 45$ with 3500$ dollers of ins and 3 day delivery. Cant beat that

J-Dub
03-24-11, 20:40
The USPS remains the only non-subsidized Government entity today, operating solely on it's own profits.

LOL!! Seriously?

They havent made a profit in years. They are billions (yes with a B) in the hole.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-03-02-postal_N.htm

"The U.S. Postal Service must make drastic changes to avert a projected loss of $238 billion over the next decade, including closing post office branches and raising prices, Postmaster General John Potter said"

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-24-11, 20:47
LOL!! Seriously?

They havent made a profit in years. They are billions (yes with a B) in the hole.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-03-02-postal_N.htm

"The U.S. Postal Service must make drastic changes to avert a projected loss of $238 billion over the next decade, including closing post office branches and raising prices, Postmaster General John Potter said"
Lol, thats just the USPS motto, God knows they lose money like crazy and borrow buku to stay in business.

Belmont31R
03-24-11, 21:42
Theres nothing that beats flat rate boxes, and I ship multiple boxes a week normally.

If you want to ship FedEx or UPS its generally more expensive, and slower for the same class of service. I can ship a small flat rate box for 4.95, and it will get to most places in 3 days or less. Maybe entirely across the country in 4. The same box going FedEx or UPS ground would take 3-5 days, and be ~10 bucks.

Of course if you have a business account UPS and FedEx are much cheaper than just walking into a service center as a on off shipment.

The only thing I don't like about USPS is their tracking sucks, and I hate my mail man. He leaves boxes next to my mail box 1-2 feet from the street, if there is a car within 20FT of my mail box he won't deliver our mail...

bp7178
03-25-11, 00:41
UPS and FEDEX have much better drivers. Mine have always been great. One **** up on the part of USPS in delivering a box. I order lots of stuff and keep pretty good track of it all. One time the post office tracking showed a delivery attempt was made, but the info notice wasn't left. Where the **** up comes into play is that I was sitting at my computer about 8' from the front door when the delivery "attempt" was made.

USPS Priority Mail flat rate is my new favorite way to ship. Cheap and quick. If you get the Delivery Confirmation, your receipt will show the expected delivery date.

Jer
03-25-11, 09:42
I've been shipping daily a little over 12yrs and I couldn't disagree with your statement more. USPS is the least expensive, most reliable and quickest (free Saturday transit) out of all of them and switching to them years back was one of the best business moves I ever made. For larger/heavier items I generally go w/FedEx Ground since they seem to have the best rates for larger non-freight items. If you paid $8 for 1.7oz then you did something wrong.

bkb0000
03-25-11, 09:51
I've been shipping daily a little over 12yrs and I couldn't disagree with your statement more. USPS is the least expensive, most reliable and quickest (free Saturday transit) out of all of them and switching to them years back was one of the best business moves I ever made.

yep. i won't even do business with guys that don't or won't use USPS.

if i was an evil dictator, UPS would be first in the death chamber.

Palmguy
03-25-11, 09:51
USPS is faster and cheaper than UPS/Fedex for a lot of things. Flat rate boxes regularly get between me and the west coast in two days. Meanwhile UPS will charge me $20 for a ground shipment in the state of Florida that weighs about 4-5 pounds. Oh and it will take two days in state.

A BC would have fit in the small flat rate box for $5.20, 2-3 day service (usually 2 days though). Don't blame the USPS for a vendor surcharge.

chadbag
03-25-11, 09:58
$8 didn't go to USPS, it went to the company you bought it from. Then they spent about $2-3 on postage and sent it First Class which takes 5-7 business days. For $5, they could've sent it Priority, which takes 3-5 bus. days. The USPS is doing exactly what the shipper paid them to do. If they hadn't raped you on shipping charges and sent it priority, you'd have it already.

It is even better than that. I ship all my small stuff USPS. Most of it first class mail parcel. On average it takes 3 days to get anywhere in the country. Occasionally even faster, and occasionally a day slower. Once in a long while, (1-2x a year and I am shipping 3-8 a week now, used to be more) it will take a week or more due to being misrouted. When I ship priority mail, it will take 2 days on average anywhere in the country. An extra day once in a while and overnight in state. Again, maybe once a year something gets misrouted and takes a few extra days.

In 10 years of shipping small parts by USPS, and 1000s upon 1000s of shipments, I have never had to make an insurance claim or pay out of pocket on non insured items as I have never had a package not get there. Less than a handful of times, all international (not gun parts), did I think I would have to make a claim when the item showed up.

Both Fedex and UPS have lost boxes. But insurance, if you want it, is a lot cheaper with Fedex and UPS ground services and they do a better job of tracking.

The new padded flat rate envelopes from USPS are great as are the Region A and Region B priority boxes. Both of these are things you have to order online (your local PO won't have them) and the Region A/B boxes you have to buy postage for online, but they allow even cheaper Priority Mail shipping of a lot of stuff.

Palmguy
03-25-11, 10:01
I'm just thankful flat rate boxes exist.

When UPS and FedEx began to require handguns ship 2nd Day Air it killed the market for years.

No kidding. I just shipped a Springfield TRP interstate to an FFL. $40 through USPS Priority including insurance for $1000 and my dealer's transfer fee as well. UPS would have been probably north of $80 to ship it on my own.

recon
03-27-11, 15:00
When I had my FFL i used only the USPS! Still today is the best and cheapest way to send things.

DaBears_85
03-28-11, 04:34
yep. i won't even do business with guys that don't or won't use USPS.

if i was an evil dictator, UPS would be first in the death chamber.

Same here. In fact, I believe it's a habit that I picked up from you.

With the USPS, I can get my packages in three days or less for $5 and some change. Wouldn't have it any other way.

J

Quiet-Matt
03-28-11, 04:59
I believe Battlecomps ship free if you order from the source.... FYI
As far as the USPS, they have always done right by me. We now have a regular delivery person and we usually have our mail by 11:00am. Plus they deliver on Saturday. The $8 shipping is a typical fee that alot of retailers use to offset their costs. Don't shoot the messenger...

TOrrock
03-28-11, 06:39
I'm done with them.

Bought something from a member here, and paid for a Priority Mail envelope to get it there in a "guaranteed" 2-3 days, with delivery confirmation.

Took 5 days to get from VA to TX.

He then shipped to me via US Priority Mail......and the local hub "lost it" in the system.....claimed they attempted Sat. delivery with notice left.

No notice was left.

It took two days of calling and being left on hold while a manager tried figuring out what happened.

Finally, a week later, it shows up.

****ing monkeys.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-28-11, 17:41
I've always liked USPS. I've never had a package take longer than three days to get to me, even if it's from the west coast. Usually it's here in two days.

C-grunt
03-28-11, 22:40
Just bought an Aimpoint Micro with a larue mount from a member here that was shipped USPS. Arrived in two days (NY to AZ) and paid less than 5 bucks.

ZRH
03-28-11, 23:02
I'm done with them.

Bought something from a member here, and paid for a Priority Mail envelope to get it there in a "guaranteed" 2-3 days, with delivery confirmation.

Took 5 days to get from VA to TX.

He then shipped to me via US Priority Mail......and the local hub "lost it" in the system.....claimed they attempted Sat. delivery with notice left.

No notice was left.

It took two days of calling and being left on hold while a manager tried figuring out what happened.

Finally, a week later, it shows up.

****ing monkeys.
Priority is average 2-3 days. Express is guaranteed or your money back. I think most of their problem is not marketing how express/priority/first class actually works and the options available. Cant find a better price for flat rate 7-10 day delivery to Afghanistan either.