PDA

View Full Version : MRP advice needed...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-25-11, 15:48
As it stands right now, I can purchase a like-new, CQB MRP upper reciever without BCG or BBL for $550. Is this a good deal? I have a few BCM BCG's laying around, so I won't need to buy that, but to complete this upper how much will it cost me?

LRB45
03-25-11, 16:33
I would say just the cost of the barrel and of course BUIS if you want them.

That's a good deal!

LRB45
03-25-11, 16:47
The cost of the LMT MRP barrels runs from $346 to $466. CL to SS!

MOUNT-N-SLOT
03-25-11, 17:08
They are $1,240 new with a 16" Chrome lined barrel, S/A Bolt Carrier Group & CH.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-25-11, 17:24
They are $1,240 new with a 16" Chrome lined barrel, S/A Bolt Carrier Group & CH.

I figure it breaks down like this then for me:

MRP Reciever, Torque Wrench, and CH: $550
BBL Assembly: $360
Magpul MBUS Set: $90
Total: $1000

And being that I already have the BCG, I'm saving anywhere fro $200-$400, and I can slowly build it so my bank account doesnt take as big of a hit. I think I'm gonna jump on it, but my wife will not be happy with me.

QuietShootr
03-25-11, 17:57
I figure it breaks down like this then for me:

MRP Reciever, Torque Wrench, and CH: $550
BBL Assembly: $360
Magpul MBUS Set: $90
Total: $1000

And being that I already have the BCG, I'm saving anywhere fro $200-$400, and I can slowly build it so my bank account doesnt take as big of a hit. I think I'm gonna jump on it, but my wife will not be happy with me.

Yeah, I'd grab it. That's a good deal.

scoutfsu99
03-25-11, 18:09
That's a good deal. If you stay vigilant, you can pick up used barrels for around the $200 range. I've seen them as low as $150. There are also people who can convert a standard barrel. I'm just getting into the MRP platform myself so take what I say lightly. There are some very knowledgeable people on the MRP around here.

Can anyone tell me if these guy's are reputable?
https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/LMT-Barrel-Conversions_c_12.html

Also, if it's DI, any BCG should work in there.

ETA: Apparently the torque wrench supplied by LMT is mediocre. It might be worth it to get a better wrench. If not now, something to keep in mind for the future.

mattmcg
03-26-11, 01:52
Yeah, that's a good deal for the upper receiver sans barrel and BCG (you didn't mention whether a CH was included).

If you pass on the deal, please PM me as I'm in the market for just an MRP upper receiver....

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-26-11, 02:09
Yeah, that's a good deal for the upper receiver sans barrel and BCG (you didn't mention whether a CH was included).

If you pass on the deal, please PM me as I'm in the market for just an MRP upper receiver....

Sorry man, it's bought and paid for. $550 includes the shipping, upper, CH, and torque wrench. Next step is a 14.5" bbl and a 12.5" piston upper to use as an SBR in CO.

ALCOAR
03-26-11, 02:28
That's a good deal. If you stay vigilant, you can pick up used barrels for around the $200 range. I've seen them as low as $150. There are also people who can convert a standard barrel. I'm just getting into the MRP platform myself so take what I say lightly. There are some very knowledgeable people on the MRP around here.

Can anyone tell me if these guy's are reputable?
https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/LMT-Barrel-Conversions_c_12.html

Also, if it's DI, any BCG should work in there.

ETA: Apparently the torque wrench supplied by LMT is mediocre. It might be worth it to get a better wrench. If not now, something to keep in mind for the future.

DBMG is GTG and quite a few folks now have done it, and by all accounts the work performed was very nicely done. I certainly salute their effort towards the MRP/MWS conversions, however there is just too many proprietary features I love about the Rock "name brand" MRP barrels.

I'm a huge fan of the following features on the Rock MRP barrels:
1. The actual barrel itself, the 5R SS models in particular are simply stunning under a bore scope and are just light's out accurate with numerous different types of ammo. Also the way the proprietary larger barrel extension hooking up to the one piece chassis sets this system well apart from others in terms of providing the most rigid platform for an AR made.

2. MRP/Rock proprietary contouring....don't let folks bullshit about how heavy the barrels are, the so called meatiness to the contour contributes heavily into why all Rock MRP barrels are right at or below MOA shooters..be it CL or SS.

3. The proprietary perfectly straight gas tubes, as well as the fantastically designed low profile GB.

4. Angle drilled gas ports to reduce erosion

To the OP, that's a good deal given your getting the GenIII chassis with the 5 built in QD cups. If it's mint and has at least rear left and right cups which it almost is promised to have considering only the very first few mrp chassis's made back in the fall 04' didn't have any QD cups yet.

When I bought my first MRP it was a 16" CL Rifle length....I swear it was 6 days after the UPS man dropped the first rifle length mrp upper off that I had turned around and had already purchased a brand new second rifle length chassis naked by itself for $900.

I will buy a MRP chassis every damn time the price is even close to being right, I'd say the majority of MRP owners own more than one MRP, and most knew they would own another the moment they felt their first. Nothing like em:)

scoutfsu99
03-26-11, 04:01
I figured you'd be the one to respond quickest. I know the Rock barrels are reputed to be outstanding. I lucked into a complete MRP upper for $550...the only downside was that it had been heavily shot. It looked like it had A) never been cleaned or B) shot mainly suppressed and never cleaned:D. I sent the barrel of to Marvin for some work and he told me the gas tube was pretty shot. What were you saying about a proprietary tube? You can't just drop any gas tube in?

I understand the Rock barrels are good, but DBMG should be able to turn any quality (BCM, DD, etc) barrel into an MRP barrel correct?

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-26-11, 10:38
Glad you chose to buy it. John was very pleased I sent you the link. I told him you would put it to good use dont make me a fiber

Jon

ALCOAR
03-26-11, 12:31
I figured you'd be the one to respond quickest. I know the Rock barrels are reputed to be outstanding. I lucked into a complete MRP upper for $550...the only downside was that it had been heavily shot. It looked like it had A) never been cleaned or B) shot mainly suppressed and never cleaned:D. I sent the barrel of to Marvin for some work and he told me the gas tube was pretty shot. What were you saying about a proprietary tube? You can't just drop any gas tube in?

I understand the Rock barrels are good, but DBMG should be able to turn any quality (BCM, DD, etc) barrel into an MRP barrel correct?

That's correct on the gas tubes, MRP's use their own perfectly straight gas tubes as shown below...
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_70f79oMLi5JxyKX-GKpGtfYqnNX5oHmHXNGhT03Kz1vh9sFdgQ&t=1

Any quality barrel blank should make a great MRP barrel once converted by DBMG.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-26-11, 13:06
To the OP, that's a good deal given your getting the GenIII chassis with the 5 built in QD cups. If it's mint and has at least rear left and right cups which it almost is promised to have considering only the very first few mrp chassis's made back in the fall 04' didn't have any QD cups yet.

Thats exactly what I got, looks to be in near perfect condition as well. Thanks for the technical data, the MRP seems to be quite the system.

Glad you chose to buy it. John was very pleased I sent you the link. I told him you would put it to good use dont make me a fiber

Jon

It'll get beat to hell.

The DBMG looks interesting, Ive been searching for negative results of their work but it all seems to be pretty good. I think I'll still make my first bbl purchase an LMT 14.5" from DSG, then send it to ADCO to have it re-profiled behind the gas block and dimpled up front. Might have them pin a battlecomp while they're at it.

ALCOAR
03-26-11, 13:41
I highly recommend going the DBMG route if you intend to radically alter the Rock 14.5"...bear in mind when these barrels leave Rock Creek they have their particular barrel harmonics in tow with them. Re contouring and dimpling will change the harmonics for sure and doing so on an already tested and completely thought out(design and spec wise) barrel design such as the Rock/MRP contour is risking more than I'm personally comfortable with.

I would buy one of the already converted DD LW 16" from DBMG and I'm sure they would be more than happy to cut it down to 14.5" and pin a muzzle device. Then just send it out for dimpling and keep the original barrel mfg contouring specs.

http://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/16-Inch-mid-length-Lightweight-Profile_p_29.html

scoutfsu99
04-03-11, 14:59
Why would you buy a $500 barrel and then have it cut/contoured? Why not buy a used or new MRP barrel for $200-350ish and then have it done? I'm sure the Rock barrels are badass, but having work done on them isn't going to destroy them right? What am I missing?