PDA

View Full Version : Do rig mounted slings suck?

Magic_Salad0892
03-25-11, 16:22
Looking at the Gear Sector model (Foliage Green) for use with the Crye Precision CAGE, to be used with an 11'' host AR.

Will this be the suck, or will it be good?

I already have a Vickers sling (selling it), and a Gear Sector 2 point sling to fall back on if I don't move on this.

TehLlama
03-26-11, 14:28
I've found that those work great for in and out of vehicles, or when you'll have hands free to hold the rifle when you're moving otherwise. Outside of that, I prefer the other sling styles.

J8127
03-26-11, 14:40
For military work they are the only style I use. Single point on the chest.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-26-11, 16:58
Very common in military circles. For every hump I ever did, I strapped my rifle to a d ring on my vest. Theyre nice when wearing bulky armor and a pack. Other than that, a good 2 point works well.

Magic_Salad0892
03-27-11, 14:32
So, would it be beneficial to attach the Rig Mounted sling to my CRYE (when it ships), and use the QD buckles to switch from that to 2-Point when I'm not wearing a carrier?

I like the idea. How's it sound?

J8127
03-27-11, 14:54
Sounds like what I do. QD single point on the chest for missions, QD two point for getting into chow. Works great for me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-27-11, 15:00
So, would it be beneficial to attach the Rig Mounted sling to my CRYE (when it ships), and use the QD buckles to switch from that to 2-Point when I'm not wearing a carrier?

I like the idea. How's it sound?

If it suits your mission then ya, sounds good. I would also look at a good 2 point with the IWC Triglide attachment or even the Magpul MS system.

m24shooter
03-27-11, 17:42
The Gear Sector ASP is a good sling, and the modular design will let you do just what you describe. You can run your single point mounted to your PC and then use the two point when you need it.
Like was mentioned, they are great for vehicles, but when you dismount you'll need to keep a hand on the weapon, although if you position the sling right you can flip the carbine over your shoulder and have it ride on your back if you really want to.

Magic_Salad0892
03-28-11, 04:30
Thanks for the feedback.

Update:

I cancelled my order on the Crye, and have decided to go with the SKD PIG.

Waaaay cheaper, and does exactly what I need it do. Wouldn't turn it down if I was going to use the entire CAGE system though.

However, if I were to deploy the system I'd be plainclothed in a flood or a power outage.

/end thread derail.

If anybody can post pics of a sling mounted single point setup it'd be really appreciated.

docsherm
03-28-11, 05:55
I have a BFG Modular Vest Strap on my Eagle PC. This is my second trip to the Stan with it. If I am not wearing my Eagle PC I use a BFG VCAS, that is carry in pouch. The vest strap is great for when I wear my PC. I would suggest using a DD EZ Carbine QD Swivel Attachment Point. It makes life much easier.

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/30ec4fd9e6265204bd6522ac121be499.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
03-28-11, 06:10
I'm using KAC Carbine sling swivel, on KAC lowers.

Nothing but great things to say about it.

Have used DD EZ CAR, and Noveske endplates on a friend's LMT MRP though.

I liked it, but no more than my KAC end plate.

I appreciate the recommendation though.

Ironman8
03-28-11, 08:00
Another suggestion is the Emdom-MM URS (Universal Rig Strap) and Gunslinger Sling. Its a little cheaper than the Gear Sector stuff and is made exactly for what you are wanting to do....plus more color options. I think this is the direction I will go along with use of a Magpul ASP...

The URS would be your one point solution, while you can just clip in the Gunslinger using the same attachment system for your 2-point configuration...seems like it might be more comfortable than the GS as well due to the wider design.

Pax
03-28-11, 11:34
You're probably not interested, as there are complete, professionally-made options available, but if you'd like to get into making your own gear, rig-mounted singlepoints are incredibly easy to make. Just order some webbing, ladder locks and the attachment of your choice and boom. Done. Usually a lot cheaper, too, if that's of concern to you.

panzerr
03-28-11, 12:03
Looking at the Gear Sector model (Foliage Green) for use with the Crye Precision CAGE, to be used with an 11'' host AR.

Will this be the suck, or will it be good?

I already have a Vickers sling (selling it), and a Gear Sector 2 point sling to fall back on if I don't move on this.

The only problem I ever had with a single point mounted to my body armor was transport of casualties on a liter - it is no fun having a carbine banging against your legs while you're trying to haul someone to the helo.

Other than that, for every day patrol and the shit that comes with it single point was the way to go.

Ironman8
03-28-11, 12:56
I'm not former mil, but I would imagine that if you were doing DA/CQB or just clearing your house as a civvie, then you would want the one point...but on a patrol where you'll be carrying a weapon for any length of time, you would probably go with a two point...

ARx3
03-29-11, 06:12
Thanks for the feedback.

Update:

I cancelled my order on the Crye, and have decided to go with the SKD PIG.

Waaaay cheaper, and does exactly what I need it do. Wouldn't turn it down if I was going to use the entire CAGE system though.

However, if I were to deploy the system I'd be plainclothed in a flood or a power outage.

/end thread derail.

If anybody can post pics of a sling mounted single point setup it'd be really appreciated.

I'm not former mil/le but I use this setup in local carbine classes and night shoots it's a Gear Sector on a TAG Spartan II
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/SDC10596.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/SDC10594.jpg

panzerr
03-29-11, 08:05
I'm not former mil, but I would imagine that if you were doing DA/CQB or just clearing your house as a civvie, then you would want the one point...but on a patrol where you'll be carrying a weapon for any length of time, you would probably go with a two point...

reasoning?

docsherm
03-29-11, 10:09
The only problem I ever had with a single point mounted to my body armor was transport of casualties on a liter - it is no fun having a carbine banging against your legs while you're trying to haul someone to the helo.

Other than that, for every day patrol and the shit that comes with it single point was the way to go.

I have a 10.5 MK 18 with the sling in a DD EZ Carbine QD Swivel Attachment Point. No issues carring stuff or moving around.

Ironman8
03-29-11, 12:27
reasoning?

Well as with most gear, slings are user preference. I actually personally like the single point for just about any application, but still want a two point for certain circumstances.

From what I understand:

Generally, a CQB/DA mission would be a pretty quick hit and get out type of situation, where comfort from your sling system isn't much of a concern due to the length of time you will be wearing it. But the need for manueverability (switching weapon system from one shoulder to the other) would be.

For a patrol on open terrain where you will be wearing the sling for an extended period of time, then comfort will play more of a role, as well as more positive retention of the weapon system. Manueverability can still be attained, but not as efficiently as a single point.

But like I said above...its all user preference.

panzerr
03-29-11, 12:59
Well as with most gear, slings are user preference. I actually personally like the single point for just about any application, but still want a two point for certain circumstances.

From what I understand:

Generally, a CQB/DA mission would be a pretty quick hit and get out type of situation, where comfort from your sling system isn't much of a concern due to the length of time you will be wearing it. But the need for manueverability (switching weapon system from one shoulder to the other) would be.

For a patrol on open terrain where you will be wearing the sling for an extended period of time, then comfort will play more of a role, as well as more positive retention of the weapon system. Manueverability can still be attained, but not as efficiently as a single point.

Preference indeed, although some missions would make the use of one more handy than the other.

My experience on patrol has involved getting in and out of vehicles, searching houses, cars and people, ambling around aimlessly in the desert and siting around with stinky locals while sipping chai tea. I personally found a one point more convenient because we moved from point A to point B in gun trucks and it was easier to manage your weapon when you could uncouple it, get in the vehicle and move out rather than dicking around with lifting a two point over your head. If we had been strictly on foot I would have opted for a two point, hands down.

Point of fact -you can very quickly and effectively switch from shoulder to shoulder with a two point sling. Check out Jeff Gonzales on that one.

Ironman8
03-29-11, 13:51
Preference indeed, although some missions would make the use of one more handy than the other.

My experience on patrol has involved getting in and out of vehicles, searching houses, cars and people, ambling around aimlessly in the desert and siting around with stinky locals while sipping chai tea. I personally found a one point more convenient because we moved from point A to point B in gun trucks and it was easier to manage your weapon when you could uncouple it, get in the vehicle and move out rather than dicking around with lifting a two point over your head. If we had been strictly on foot I would have opted for a two point, hands down.

Point of fact -you can very quickly and effectively switch from shoulder to shoulder with a two point sling. Check out Jeff Gonzales on that one.

Yeah I was thinking foot patrol only...I def see your point about being in and out of vehicles...

And I agree that you can switch shoulders pretty quick with a two point, but I still feel faster with a one point. Trident Concepts is on my training short list ;)

docsherm
03-29-11, 20:49
If on patrol and wearing my plate carrier I still use a single point rig mounted sling. The only time I use a 2 point sling is if I am not wearing body armor. I have found no advantage to a 2 point when on patrol. The BFG 1 point rig mount is fast to get on and off, easy to maneuver with, and does not get caught on my antenna and three day pack. Two points do that.

If I am just wearing a chest rig than it is 2 point all the way. Can’t beat it.

Magic_Salad0892
03-31-11, 09:53
You're probably not interested, as there are complete, professionally-made options available, but if you'd like to get into making your own gear, rig-mounted singlepoints are incredibly easy to make. Just order some webbing, ladder locks and the attachment of your choice and boom. Done. Usually a lot cheaper, too, if that's of concern to you.

Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't make it as good as a factory option. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I hate the Magpul MS2 system. Most Magpul products in general suck for me.

I'll take a look at the EMDOM/MM sling. ETA: Awesome. But I'll stick with Gear Sector, as the mounting hardware isn't proprietary.

Are there any downsides to mounting a single point sling on the ''middle'' attachment (rail QD point close to receiver) vs. end plate?

It seems like it would seat the weapon juuuuust too high.

Also, how easy is it to transition to secondary weapon?

Pax
03-31-11, 10:23
If you mount it in the "middle" as ARx3 did, it will work but especially with SBRs the weapon will be a LOT less stable. By that I mean you're liable to get some inadvertent muzzle-up carry going on, depending on how the weapon is weighted and what actions you're performing. Besides which, it puts more nylon further down your gun, increasing the likelihood that your sling will mess with some vital weapon manipulation. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to not mount a singlepoint on the endplate.

I find transitions to secondaries very easy. Just drop the primary and go. Usually, if wearing LBE the weapon wont even smack my legs.

Ironman8
03-31-11, 12:00
I find transitions to secondaries very easy. Just drop the primary and go. Usually, if wearing LBE the weapon wont even smack my legs.

I'll second that, but you still want to maintain control of your weapon system, so I always "guide" it down while transitioning to my secondary...plus, its more "standardized" for when I don't have LBE...but that's just me....plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Magic_Salad0892
03-31-11, 13:15
Thanks for all the help, you guys.

If possible, keep posting pics of single point rig mounted setups. I like them.

Pax
03-31-11, 14:58
Here's a thing I whipped up a while ago from an old Eagle compression strap and some loose hardware. Arguably a bit complex for a rig-mounted singlepoint, but that's not its only intended purpose. Besides, I like the simplicity of hitting the Cobra to ditch the weapon.

- 2x ITW MASH hooks w/ elastic covers (Originally HK hooks, swapped for security)
- Steel 1" Ladder Locks (Mfr. unknown)
- AustriAlpin FC24B Cobra (Chosen for its short length compared to a 28)

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3658/dsc07608q.jpg

When not in use on a rig, which is most of the time, I use it as a QR Dogbone for climbing equipment.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9011/dsc076072.jpg

militarymoron
03-31-11, 19:32
I'll take a look at the EMDOM/MM sling. ETA: Awesome. But I'll stick with Gear Sector, as the mounting hardware isn't proprietary.

not advocating my sling over anyone else's, but the emdom slings don't use any proprietary hardware. both the URS and gunslinger are designed to attach to the weapon using sling loops, HK hooks, MASH hooks, QD swivels. the plastic hardware is ITW.

Magic_Salad0892
04-01-11, 22:35
I was talking about the QD buckle method to sling. Not the sling attachment point to weapon.

In your review, you talked about it not being compatible with other slings.

Thanks for coming into this thread, as you have a lot more experience with this matter than I do.

militarymoron
04-01-11, 23:00
I was talking about the QD buckle method to sling. Not the sling attachment point to weapon.

In your review, you talked about it not being compatible with other slings.

that applies to most slings, actually. not everyone uses the same buckles or configuration, so few sling components are cross-compatible with other brands (not sure that you'd ever need them to be, though), unless you swap out the hardware.

matticus
04-04-11, 20:46
impo a single point is the best. like other have posted. either a bought one that can come un clipped or 550 chord through the sling adapter and a d-ring

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-04-11, 22:17
impo a single point is the best. like other have posted. either a bought one that can come un clipped or 550 chord through the sling adapter and a d-ring

Can you elaborate on why you think it is best?

Iraq Ninja
04-04-11, 22:42

From what I understand:

When I was in the the Rangers, our SOP was not to have any slings. They thought it was a crutch and that people would get lazy and not keep them at the ready. Times have changed now.

I use a London Bridge single point on my PIG. When I cinch it all the way up, the carbine hangs down but doesn't bang my leg. I will try and get a pic today during work...

Magic_Salad0892
04-06-11, 12:41
Glad times have changed.

Didn't know London Bridge made slings. Any experience with their carriers? Defoor likes them from what I know.

trauma
04-08-11, 22:51
I use a Blue Force sling that integrates with my CIRAS and it works great...

And I have a custom sling that attaches to a d-ring on another Vel-Tye rig....

Like em both