PDA

View Full Version : Richmond VA Gun Show- Mar. 26-27 ???

Jellybean
03-25-11, 16:34
Gun show in Richmond at the Raceway complex March 26-27.

Been there a couple times before, and while I agree it's a lot of useless drivel, it's the only place I can finger a wide variety of handguns, which I'm in the market for.

Anway, just was curious if anyone else here was going.
Or your thoughts on the event- dealers to look for (or run away from), and such.

TOrrock
03-25-11, 16:37
I haven't been to a Raceway show in a long time. They generally suck even worse than the Showplace Show, which has been hurting recently.

If you're looking for a handgun, personally I'd stop by Greentop's and DeGoff's and take a look around, then compare pricing on line.

I consult with a SOT and we charge $15.00 for a transfer.

Jellybean
03-25-11, 19:06
I agree- last time I was there it was pretty blah. But they had a good assortment of handguns. I'm not going to buy one at the show, but was intending to use it more as a chance to hopefully get my hands on what I'm looking for before I order elsewhere.

PM'ing about other stuff.

Jellybean
04-08-11, 14:57
Figured I'd give a quick review of this years show, to finish this thread off.

The Good:
The show actually seemed better this year than last- the place was hoppin' ! Last year when I went on Sunday, by the time I got there a lot of the vendors had left, and there were only a few people milling around. This year I got there about early afternoon (same as last year) and it was packed. The vendor tables were still full all the way to the back, and the aisles were crowded with people.

There was an excellent selection of handguns of pretty much every well known brand. There were enough Glocks to start your own factory! This happily, enabled me to get my hands on both variations of the handgun I am researching, which helped my decisions along alot.

There was a pretty decent selection of Magpul accessories. Again, this was nice as it enabled me to get my hands on some accessories I've been thinking of getting. Correction- WILL be getting. :D

There was some bulk ammo at good prices. A few good deals on Pmags too.Some Spike's lowers for around $225.

I suppose I could say there was a decent selection of blades, although the best it got was Ka-bar, SOG, and some Benchmade folders.

The Bad:
Well, it was a gun show- so the usual piles of DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. abounded. Along with a somewhat worrying assortment of uppers with no markings whatsoever... :confused:
It was nice actually having a better idea of what I was looking at.:)
Handguns weren't to bad, although there was the obligatory sprinkling of Hi-points and others.
About a million knock-off red dots and scopes. I don't think I saw 1 sight from a recognizable brand. (Actually, 1 higher end Leupold mounted to a bolt gun)
The shotgun selection was absolutely miserable. Relatively few to pick through, 90% Mossberg 500's . About 5 each Mossberg 590/ 590A1's. Two Remington 870 Express were all that was there for Rem. shotguns. Some of this may be attributed to the fact that I was a day 2 visitor.... Who knows.
AK selection- 90% Century WASR's and GP75's. Two AMD-65's with the horrid wire folder. One Arsenal SGL-21.
Surplus ammo boxes I felt were a bit overpriced.
There were actually a few better ARs- a couple Colt's and one Daniel Defense. But they were quite a bit overpriced. Of course so were the other "higher end" rifles, like the Bushy's....
I was broke so I couldn't buy anything. :(
Did I mention the sights/scopes sucked?

Interesting....
What seemed to be a real Nazi Luger an older Vet was checking out. A Thompson and an MG42. :D Couldn't tell if the BAR was real...
A pile of Civil War guns and accessories, if one likes that sort of stuff.
A Vector carbine (TDI Kriss Super V .45 sub-gun). Sweetest shooting gun I have ever shot.
A whole table of bad looking 'Israeli' gas masks @ $30 ea..:cool:
An insanely expensive assortment of full auto rifles and sub-guns.
I got to get my hands on an upper blank.

Overall, I'd say 50/50. There were some deals to be had. And for 8 bucks, you can't beat it as a research tool. But on the other hand, I understand why a lot of folks order online...