PDA

View Full Version : Help me configure my first personal carbine.

rallyshooter
03-26-11, 08:37
I'll be purchasing my first personal carbine shortly after returning home from deployment in a few months. I have enough experience with my issued M4 that I have a solid idea of what I want/need out of a carbine. However, I have zero experience in the civillian market and I get pretty confused looking at all the options out there.

The rifle will be for all around general purpose use, from range use to carbine classes to home defense. I've decided that it will be a 16" middy with a CHF lightweight barrel. No rail/lights/optics for the initial purchase, I'd like to keep the rifle as simple as possible. Budget is approximately $1250 (i'd rather spend the extra money to do it right the first time, but budget is still somewhat of an issue)

Here's what I've come up with so far, looking at G&R Tactical for the purchase. Blemished BCM lower, MOE stock, Tango Down grip, and Magpul ASAP; $382. BCM Upper, BCG, Gunfighter charging handle and MOE handguards; $702. That puts me at $1084 without a rear sight, or about $1200 overall with it.

I've pretty much only looked at BCM because they seemed like the best value for the money. Not until recently had I thought about something like a Noveske upper, and I also havent been considering any military discounts or manufacturer specials (I was completely unaware that Noveske was [or still is?] offering a free lower with an upper purchase). I only thought about looking at Noveske because they seem to have the best barrels on the market, from what I've observed from searching. My points on choosing a noveske upper over BCM are the noveske barrel, and it already comes with a vortex flash hider and troy sight.

So, what I would like to know is can a similar setup be had in the same price range with Noveske, or perhaps even Daniel Defense? Mix/match upper/lower is fine, and some specifics are negotiable (for example, mil spec charging handle and m4 handguards are acceptable in the case of the noveske upper).

graffex
03-26-11, 08:50
I honestly don't think you really gonna notice a difference between the BCM or Noveske barrels. They are both top notch. However with that said, since you have a discount why not go for the Noveske. It's really flip a coin, either way you will be happy. Your definitely on the right track.

crusader377
03-26-11, 11:54
I think that you can't go wrong with either rifles. You might however want to price out the daniel defense options as well. I got my DD upper from smartgunner.com for a great price and for $1200 you can get a complete DD carbine with rail. Here is a link.

http://www.policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_327&products_id=6726

I think the BCM, DD, and Noveske are pretty much interchangeable quality wise and I would just go with the one that is the best price and has the options that you want.

avengd7x
03-26-11, 12:18
I've got a BCM and a DD rifle and they're both great guns, but I really do like the package Daniel Defense puts together with their rifles. They include a rear fixed site, a hard case, a vertical foregrip, 3 rail ladders, a rear QD attachment point, a CHF barrel, and they have LE/Mil discounts.