PDA

View Full Version : best orientation for an AR in storage?

mattjmcd
03-26-11, 13:40
Assume that an AR is going to set, fully assembled, in a conventional upright gun safe for a period of weeks or months. Is there a preferred way to orient the rifle? Muzzle up, or muzzle down?

I am worried about the potential for lube to migrate "up" or "down", so to speak. I ASSume that muzzle down might allow lighter oil to foul the gas tube, maybe? Or is that even an issue?

TehLlama
03-26-11, 14:00
Lube migration is the last thing on my mind - run grease over critical components if that's an issue to you.

MistWolf
03-26-11, 14:01
Any firearm stored for weeks, months or years should be inspected before use. IBTL

number9xd
03-26-11, 14:06
I lube with Mobil1 15W-50 and store in the gun safe muzzle up. Rifle may sit in there for several weeks or more between outings and gets the buffer wet. I always lube before I run it though.

mattjmcd
03-26-11, 14:09
I lube with Mobil1 15W-50 and store in the gun safe muzzle up. Rifle may sit in there for several weeks or more between outings and gets the buffer wet. I always lube before I run it though.

This is more or less my routine too. I wipe down pretty aggressively prior to replacing the guns in the safe, muzzle up. I lube again on the next range day. I doubt there is much potential for any issues, but it occurs to me that I hadn't ever seriously considered the possibility that lighter oils might foul anything.

nimdabew
03-26-11, 14:35
I store muzzle down when possible. Reason: Any crap that does get into the bore, or condensation that forms in the bore, will go out the muzzle instead of settling on the bolt, chamber, and other working parts of the rifle. I also make my own dissicant from silica gel kitty litter and panty hose so YMMV.

ZRH
03-26-11, 15:04
M12 weapon racks are muzzle up. If you want to store something long term cover it in cosmoline and VCI paper.

cacop
03-26-11, 19:23
Our patrol rifles sit upright in a cabinet when not checked out. When in the car they sit upright. The only time they go muzzle down is when we are taking them to and from the cars or the occaisional use of them. They have been like that for a decade. No problems noted.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-26-11, 19:26
Way too much thought put into this. Carbine length Colt M4's sit in armories with their barrels upright for months on military bases all over the country. Those M4's kill badguys. Done.

graffex
03-26-11, 20:50
I find it's best to keep it in the horizontal position, that way it flows with the rotation of the earth.

:sarcastic:

opmike
03-26-11, 20:53
Any firearm that has been sitting for months (is this 2 months or 12?) needs to be checked for proper lubrication before use.

If this is a firearm that may see serious use, and you don't think you'll have time to do a proper check of things before employing it, you need to step up your inspection routine so that it will always be ready to go.

BlueOvalFan
03-26-11, 21:49
Any firearm that has been sitting for months (is this 2 months or 12?) needs to be checked for proper lubrication before use.

If this is a firearm that may see serious use, and you don't think you'll have time to do a proper check of things before employing it, you need to step up your inspection routine so that it will always be ready to go.

Mines stored muzzle up and hammer dropped to relieve tension on the spring.

bkb0000
03-26-11, 21:52
i guess i'm gonna be the first to say it-

no, it doesn't matter.

Bimmer
03-26-11, 21:56
I find it's best to keep it in the horizontal position, that way it flows with the rotation of the earth.

This sounds about right, but don't forget to rotate your stored AR periodically, like the guys turning bottles of champagne to resettle the sediment.

Iraqgunz
03-26-11, 22:12
I store mine muzzle down. I also put just a light coat of Slip2000 on it unless I am going out to shoot. That prevents me from getting too wrapped up in minutia.

Quentin
03-26-11, 23:44
My safe's getting crowded so some rifles are muzzle up and some are muzzle down to help fit them in. :p

davidjinks
03-27-11, 00:07
Not an issue.

As has been stated, if lube migration is an issue to you, use a lite grease.

Mine is lubed with Slide Glide Lite. I will strip that off and change over to Slip 2000 grease.

Never had an issue before with doing it this way.

On a side note…

My 6920 sits in my closet in a muzzle down orientation. My others are unloaded and sit muzzle up.

Morg308
03-27-11, 00:08

:sarcastic:

Preferably pointed out the window...:neo:

Texpatriate
03-27-11, 00:20
Preferably pointed out the window...:neo:

....and preferably toward the east....for various reasons....

QuietShootr
03-27-11, 00:22
I store muzzle down when possible. Reason: Any crap that does get into the bore, or condensation that forms in the bore, will go out the muzzle instead of settling on the bolt, chamber, and other working parts of the rifle. I also make my own dissicant from silica gel kitty litter and panty hose so YMMV.

I store muzzle down by preference, since I am used to storing integrally suppressed weapons that may have condensation or artificial environment lube that could run back into the action. It's a habit now, like putting a weapon muzzle down when boarding an acft.

mattjmcd
03-27-11, 10:13
This sounds about right, but don't forget to rotate your stored AR periodically, like the guys turning bottles of champagne to resettle the sediment.

It's called "riddling". Rifle riddling? Why not?!?!:D

nimdabew
03-27-11, 12:25
I store muzzle down by preference, since I am used to storing integrally suppressed weapons that may have condensation or artificial environment lube that could run back into the action. It's a habit now, like putting a weapon muzzle down when boarding an acft.

I forgot to add that to my post. Suppressors get hot and then condense water inside of them when they cool depending on the humidity. Last thing you need is to have a bunch of water in your action.

Dave_M
03-27-11, 12:54
My safe's getting crowded so some rifles are muzzle up and some are muzzle down to help fit them in. :p

I am also in the same situation :D

markm
03-27-11, 20:27
I end up having to mop out my Barrel extension on rifles stored muzzle down.

Muzzle up and the lugs are usually pretty dry after a few days.

agr1279
03-27-11, 20:45

I have to do this also. I really need a bigger safe but the wife won't let me cause she knows I will eventually fill that one up too.

Dan