PDA

View Full Version : Which is this Colt carbine?

Bart Noir
09-23-07, 15:17
A local shop has a new Colt carbine, an HBar Sporter, solid stock, with bayonet mount (useless of course) and flash hider, removable carry handle/rear sight assembly. So how do I compare this to the Colt models that are discussed in this forum, such as 6920?

I can't find this exact model on the Colt's site. OBTW, the price is just a little under $1100 without tax.

Does the Sporter model mean it has less of the MIL-SPEC features?

Bart Noir

AMMOTECH
09-23-07, 18:03
Sounds like someone put a carbine upper on an A2 lower. Does the upper have an M4 profife barrel or is a solid heavy profile?

I think that most Colts have less then mil spec features unless you have a true M4. (pin size thing)

Either way you can swap the stock to any type that you want and you would have a good weapon.

AR-15A3
09-23-07, 18:57
A local shop has a new Colt carbine, an HBar Sporter, solid stock, with bayonet mount (useless of course) and flash hider, removable carry handle/rear sight assembly. So how do I compare this to the Colt models that are discussed in this forum, such as 6920?

I can't find this exact model on the Colt's site. OBTW, the price is just a little under $1100 without tax.

Does the Sporter model mean it has less of the MIL-SPEC features?

Bart Noir

Colt have HBAR carbines with solid stock and they're model name is HBAR II, if it doesn't show that in the lower receiver marking then it's probably swapped.

For the upper, Colt upper receivers have a M4 marked on top of the gas tube hole and either "C" or for later models, a stylized letter "D" for Diemaco (Colt Canada) on the right rear side of the receiver.

The top of the barrel in front of the FSB should be marked "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR" (or 1/9).

The Colt LE models usually have more Mil-spec features than the commercial Match Target models, commercial models mostly don't have flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, chromed bore (but chambers are chromed), and collapsible stocks.

Current production Colt LE models have more Mil-spec features than other major brands, except for the fire control group pins (large), see chart in this thread.

Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/BayonetsOntarioOKC3S-ExtGenCutM7-MD.jpg
Also, don't say that bayonet mounts on 16" barrels with carbine gas system are useless just get the proper long handle bayonet for it, see bottom of the picture.

Bart Noir
09-23-07, 19:12
Thanks for the info. I will grab my Cheaper-than-Dirt catalog and look for those long-handled bayonets :p

I know I made a sorry posting when I can't tell you exactly what is on the left side of the lower. I remember that it has Sporter and don't know about HBAR, that may only have been info from the salesman (whom I trust, first name basis and all that) but it did have the "profile" as in your pic.

I assume that the barrel is heavier inside the handguard area. It seemed like a good price on a new Colt and if it has all the feature of the Rob_S cross reference table, it would be a very good price. I'm so tempted.

Bart Noir

AMMOTECH
09-23-07, 19:44
I assume that the barrel is heavier inside the handguard area.
Bart Noir

Depends on the model.
http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/govt-bg.gif

AMMOTECH
09-23-07, 19:46
Here's some more info for you:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/

AR-15A3
09-24-07, 12:17
Thanks for the info. I will grab my Cheaper-than-Dirt catalog and look for those long-handled bayonets :p

I know I made a sorry posting when I can't tell you exactly what is on the left side of the lower. I remember that it has Sporter and don't know about HBAR, that may only have been info from the salesman (whom I trust, first name basis and all that) but it did have the "profile" as in your pic.

I assume that the barrel is heavier inside the handguard area. It seemed like a good price on a new Colt and if it has all the feature of the Rob_S cross reference table, it would be a very good price. I'm so tempted.

Bart Noir

Don't buy those Chinese made knock-off from Cheaper-than-Dirt, mine is a genuine new US surplus General Cutlery (marked Gen Cut) M7 bayonet professionally converted with a long handle. :D

I just wanted to add that the HBAR II which is a MT6731 model is a post ban model and there is also a pre ban model which is the older version R6731 which have the A2 flash hider, same 1/9 twist, same flat top and same HBAR heavy barrel under the handguards.

Plus also they don't have the same profile as my carbine in my picture, the barrel in front of the front sight of the 6731 are straight, it doesn't have the smaller diameter cutout area for mounting the grenade launcher.

Ref. Colt Model Numbers by Michael Jones link (http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/2423/coltmodels.html)

I saw a Colt R6731 HBAR pre ban model for sale posted in one of those internet classifieds for $1,200 in excellent condition.

If the markings are all correct and the condition is very nice the one you are looking at is not bad.

ThirdWatcher
09-25-07, 04:37
Where would you find a bayonet like that, AR-15A3? It looks like something I could use to accessorize my AR-15A2 and AR-15A3 carbines.

AR-15A3
09-25-07, 11:51
Where would you find a bayonet like that, AR-15A3? It looks like something I could use to accessorize my AR-15A2 and AR-15A3 carbines.

I got my extended handle M7 bayonet about two years ago for $60 but sorry the place I got it from stopped selling them.

The only one that I know that is available and better quality than mine are German made M7 for Colt with the Colt horsey logo and runs at around $135 at PreBanArms.com, they're expensive but they're great for Colt collectors.

I'm currently experimenting with my German made Eickhorn-Solingen (same maker as Colt) without the horsey logo, and I'm trying to get a similar handle extension like the ones that PreBan Arms are using, if it could be done I could modify my M7 bayonet for a total cost of only about $60.

I'll post my results and process when I completed my project.

ThirdWatcher
09-25-07, 13:51
Thanks!:)