View Full Version : Flash Hider Removal

Race
03-26-11, 16:55
I haven't been able to find this by searching, but can anyone tell me which direction a Colt flash hider unscrews? Is it counterclockwise as you are facing the muzzle?

Thanks.

Marty916
03-26-11, 16:57
They use standard threading so it's counterclock-wise (as you face the muzzle) to loosen.

Race
03-26-11, 20:08
Marty,

Thanks for the info.

Best.

wetidlerjr
03-27-11, 08:56
"Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" :D

bsmith_shoot
03-27-11, 12:46
I got another question too, when you install a new compensater, how exactly do you get it "timed" and tightened correctly? Im saving to put a BC 1.0 on, and I wanna know this stuff before I get it.

Surf
03-27-11, 13:00
Use a new crush washer. One comes with the BattleComp. All of them that I have installed have hand tightened and come within 1/4 to 1/3 turn to get them timed correctly. You will be within proper torque spec for a muzzle device.

walter34payton2002
03-28-11, 10:12
Yeah, just tighten by hand then just torque until it lines up. The crush washer has plenty of give (I think at least 1 full rotation before bottoming out). Remember the large side of the washer goes toward the comp. You are going to have to secure the receiver in a vise or other way to ensure it doesn't move.

SA80Dan
03-28-11, 11:17
I got another question too, when you install a new compensater, how exactly do you get it "timed" and tightened correctly? Im saving to put a BC 1.0 on, and I wanna know this stuff before I get it.

A degree or two off won't be a problem....however, if you are anything like me, you won't be happy unless its exactly right. One tip to bear in mind while clocking it - it is better to stop short and then carefully tweak it up the last few degrees, rather than to go too much and then need to back it off - because if you do that, chances are you'll need to start over again with a new crush washer.

The Cat
03-28-11, 11:43
Yeah, just tighten by hand then just torque until it lines up. The crush washer has plenty of give (I think at least 1 full rotation before bottoming out). Remember the large side of the washer goes toward the comp. You are going to have to secure the receiver in a vise or other way to ensure it doesn't move.

True. The first time I reinstalled a FH with a new crush washer, the FH hand-tightened to where TDC was right at 12 o'clock. I had a few WTF moments - then I miked the thicknesses of the old and new crush washers and the old one was .031" thinner than the new. Since the FH moves back .036" for each complete turn, that was about right.

Crush washers > peel washers!!!!!!!!