PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction with Daniel Defense AR.

m4brian
03-26-11, 17:34
Haven't shot my DD for a while. The first time out it had a couple failure to feeds with an old worn-out GI mag, so I didn't get concerned.

Today I put about 80 rounds of various brass 55 gr. Fired well and accurately. No problems. I THINK I noticed rounds trying to nose down in my 20 round PMAG wen loading. The I switched to Brown Bear 55 gr, and was SURPRISED at how accurate it was - very nice. Then all of the sudden I started getting rounds NOT feeding - 3 in all in about 40 rounds. the rounds got stuck in the star chamber with a deep gouge in them. They all fired well. I shot some BB before and had no problems a couple of months ago. My son's S&W has had no trouble like this.

Jamomatic? What say you?

C-grunt
03-26-11, 17:37
Cal DD. Very unusual. I have read of people having problems with the 20 round pmags before

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-11, 17:44
Have any other mags to try in the rifle?

Hound_va
03-26-11, 17:45
the rounds got stuck in the star chamber with a deep gouge in them.

Maybe they were waiting to meet Michael Douglas or Hal Holbrook?

Try quality ammo with that mag. If that doesn't work try quality ammo with a different mag.

Palmguy
03-26-11, 18:14
Jamomatic? What say you?

Maybe you should contact the manufacturer...like the forum rules say to before posting a thread like this.

Iraqgunz
03-26-11, 18:23
Did you consider that there was an ammo or magazine issue before posting this? Did you consider how you worded this before you posted it?

My guess is no. Contact DD and go from there. Then report back to us.

Army Chief
03-26-11, 18:27
Absolutely.

You have to keep in mind here that the most common causes of failure in any modern autoloading firearm are ammunition selection and feeding devices, and in this case, you've coupled a bargain basement load with the one variant of the PMAG that has been known to present the occasional question.

Bottom line? This may read like a Daniel Defense problem, but I'd wager good money that the carbine itself is not to blame. In fact, I wouldn't even contact the manufacturer until I ran a quality load through a couple of other magazine types to verify that the problem wasn't a consequence of some personal choices. Sure, it would be nice if every rifle ran flawlessly with every load from every feeding device, but that kind of wishful thinking simply isn't rooted in reality.

Given DD's reputation for quality and consistency, I would have to say that the thread title itself starts us down the wrong path.

AC